66-69 Buick disc brake conversion kit

NC1968Riviera

Yeah, the 68 I recently sold had the front disc. Brake option (about 6% of production had) and I had another whole set off a GS. The problem is even if you found an original, if anything went bad that is not reproduced, you’d be screwed. Frankly IMO, the giant quality drums on the Rivieras are substantial and not worth upgrading. I would just keep original, yet I understand that’s not really what you are asking. Good luck on the Riviera adventure!

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, RoyB1966GS said:

Mike S:  Did you do the conversions yet?  I am in a similar situation with my '66 Riv GS; can't find any decent aluminum drums and the cast iron drums are chinese.  Looking at all options also.  Thanks.

Roy, No I have not pulled the trigger on this option yet. There are a couple of vendors that advertise in the Riview for aluminum drum brake relining. 

The last time I check this option, one vendor had some rebuilt drums that were ~$400 each. Relining services cost about the same.

Yes, that's what I'm finding as well.  I have one extra aluminum drum that I picked up about 20 years ago (I have owned my Riv for 51 years) but would still need to mic it for usability.  Looking to see which conversion kit would be the best if I have to go that way.

Roy

(ROA # 286)

2 minutes ago, RoyB1966GS said:

Ed:

Thanks.  I have J&G Relining on my research list to contact.

Roy

I edited my previous post about the finned drums.  If you have to find drums to be relined, make sure you get 66 or later drums and check to see that no fins have been damaged.  

26 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I edited my previous post about the finned drums.  If you have to find drums to be relined, make sure you get 66 or later drums and check to see that no fins have been damaged.  

Better edit the edit....

Tom

1 hour ago, RoyB1966GS said:

Mike S:  Did you do the conversions yet?  I am in a similar situation with my '66 Riv GS; can't find any decent aluminum drums and the cast iron drums are chinese.  Looking at all options also.  Thanks.

Roy,

Pretty sure I have a pair of NORS cast iron front drums,, made in USA, marketed by Wagner. Send me a PM if interested and I'll take a look

Tom Mooney

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mister Fab said:

These are new to me. With the "Year" range so wide on the selection menu, I suspect these may be originally meant for other GM makes/models and not specific for Riviera. It will be interesting to see the feedback on these.

Picture shows everything, and for the price, that should be included. If you read the description below, it says you get a list of part numbers to go buy rotors and pads. Looks like somebody knew more about building a website than the part that were put on it.

2 minutes ago, telriv said:

ANYTHING by Jamco is JUNK!!!!   Stay away, FAR AWAY.

Tom T.

I can't offer an opinion on Jamco products being JUNK, but I did order some coil springs from them that were drop shipped from Coil Spring Specialties. I could have saved myself a few bucks if I had known that was their supplier.

2 hours ago, Mister Fab said:

I have contacted scarebird too,  but they don't have parts for a full kit right now.

I also checked Jamco, and sent them an email, but I got no answer from them

The only things that I got from Scarebird were the brackets.  Everything else - rotors, calipers, disks, and hoses was sourced locally.  I imagine that this list has been updated, but it tells you what to look for when going shopping at NAPA.  I found a 76 Riviera in a salvage yard and cannibalized the entire brake system 

including the booster, master cylinder, distribution block, and lines from the m/c to the the distribution block. As with a lot of my projects, this one is still on the shelf.

1964 Riviera Scarebird info.JPG

You also have an Australian kit that, similar to Scarebird, need added parts that you can source in the USA. Have a look here, read carefully (select Buick Brakes). He has American references and I used his kit for my ‘63. He has kits from ‘63 to ‘70.

http://mako.com.au

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

I can't offer an opinion on Jamco products being JUNK, but I did order some coil springs from them that were drop shipped from Coil Spring Specialties. I could have saved myself a few bucks if I had known that was their supplier.

Correct , coil springs specialties is where their springs come from. Not junk. 

I ordered mine from them knowing this, because at the time, they were a few bucks cheaper. I’ve also read about some poor customer service from them, but my experience was easy and positive. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, RivNut said:

The only things that I got from Scarebird were the brackets.  Everything else - rotors, calipers, disks, and hoses was sourced locally.  I imagine that this list has been updated, but it tells you what to look for when going shopping at NAPA.  I found a 76 Riviera in a salvage yard and cannibalized the entire brake system 

including the booster, master cylinder, distribution block, and lines from the m/c to the the distribution block. As with a lot of my projects, this one is still on the shelf.

1964 Riviera Scarebird info.JPG

Hey RivNut would these same parts work on the 66 Rivi ?