For Sale: 1961 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon - $9,500 - South Gardiner, ME - Not Mine - Still Available, Same $9,500 Price: 3-28-2022:

For Sale: 1961 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon - $9,500 - South Gardiner, ME - Still Available, Same $9,500 Price: 3-28-2022: See New Link Below:

1961 Ford Country Sedan SW - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1961 Ford Wagon full-size Galaxie 352 Automatic power steering. Originally from out west so very minor rust. Somewhat of a barn find recently out of extended period of storage. Runs and yard drives but could use a good tune up and brake overhaul. Attracts a lot of attention as it is but could be a showstopper with some restoration. Currently has the patina of an old beach wagon. Asking $9500 located in central Maine

Copy and paste in your email:  61e352b1a3c331f2906a2f4a1af1fa2d@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon.

'61 Ford Country Sedan ME a.jpg

'61 Ford Country Sedan ME b.jpg

'61 Ford Country Sedan ME c.jpg

'61 Ford Country Sedan ME d.jpg

'61 Ford Country Sedan ME e.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Same $9,500 Price: 3-28-2022: Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Being a Northeast car. while frame rust isn't the problem it is with 1965 and later FoMoCo products, the usual spots are bottoms of the front fenders, the 'brow' over the headlights, the rear wheel-house lip flare and the lower quarters behind to the bumper.  Models with the broad ribbed stainless trim should be checked carefully as the rust can develop quite extensively there and be barely visible.  Across the lower tailgate by the hinges was also another trouble area for rust.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, supercub said:

I've been to the beach every summer weekend but never saw one of these on the beach.

Beaches of Maine may have a different standard than what you're used to. 😄 Beautiful coastline up there, but not quite a surfer's paradise I'm guessing.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon - $9,500 - South Gardiner, ME - Not Mine - Still Available, Same $9,500 Price: 3-28-2022:

Still Available, Same $9,500 Price: 3-28-2022:

1961 Ford Country Sedan SW - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1961 Ford Wagon fullsize Galaxie 352 Automatic power steering. Originally from out west so very minor rust. Some what of a barn find recently out of extended period of storage. Runs and yard drives but could use a good tune up and brake overhaul. Attracts a lot of attention as it is but could be a show stopper with some restoration. Currently has the patina of an old beach wagon. Asking $9500 located in central Maine

Copy and paste in your email: 2e101992d0b53bf9ba6da10ab6441a11@sale.craigslist.org

On 12/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Being a Northeast car. while frame rust isn't the problem it is with 1965 and later FoMoCo products, the usual spots are bottoms of the front fenders, the 'brow' over the headlights, the rear wheel-house lip flare and the lower quarters behind to the bumper.  Models with the broad ribbed stainless trim should be checked carefully as the rust can develop quite extensively there and be barely visible.  Across the lower tailgate by the hinges was also another trouble area for rust.  

Actually I bought one of these off ebay ( a buy it now).   About an hour and a half away.  Was described as in the condition of a 2 year old car.  I asked questions and got a few answers,  but went off the few photos provided that weren't real detailed.  I said wow,  a good price at the time as well,  but not crazy cheap as wagons hadn't really took off yet.  

I will say it is the only car I have ever bought and backed out of, even at risk of losing my immediate deposit.  I will tell you there have been a few turds since that I just made the best of. 

The entire front floor had been patched with one big incorrect panel, The doors were rotted and badly repaired (only visible from the bottom inside) the frame had been plated in several places (that was the total killer as the ad specifically said no frame rust). I was willing to eat my mistake up until that point.  Under the hood literally looked like a boat anchor and this was suppose to be a nice turn key car.  (of course there were no under hood photos). 

Fortunately the person that listed it was the wife of the seller and she was afraid of bad feedback so she worked with me and I got my deposit back.  I told her the problems and when she compared them to the listing he had her submit I could hear her reaming him a new one in the back ground.  This was back when sellers could leave negative feedback,  but I was still willing to take the hit than end up with that mess. 

So when I think of Beach car,  that one comes back vividly to me. 

Buyer beware and get really good photos at a minimum from every angle. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Actually I bought one of these off ebay ( a buy it now)...I was still willing to take the hit than end up with that mess. 

I had to back out of the last car I tried to buy on eBay. The failed transaction ended with the seller and I yelling at each other over the phone. The problem: He said the car ran good...it didn't. He said the car had a title...it didn't. It actually turned out to be his girlfriend's grandfather's car originally, so his legitimate ownership was dubious. I suspect he was trying to get the grandfather, who was still alive, to do the necessary paperwork to transfer the title...but the grandfather refused. Despite all the underhandedness and hostility, however, I still got my deposit back.

General Warning to Everyone: Don't let suspicious eBay sellers try to string a car transaction out past 30 days. EBay will back you up as a buyer (with their complaint/appeals process) for a month, but beyond that you're on your own.