For Sale (not mine) -1952 Mercedes Benz 170Da - $20,000

I have to say, it may not be for everyone, but when you read the write up, the amount and caliber of work that went into this car is staggering.

I like it.

May look better with the hood installed.

I have no words to express just how abhorrent I find this. And I’m not against modified cars. 

This captures the pitfalls of customizing in so many ways. Not finished, “unique” paint scheme, and poor proportions. At least it has glass, unlike most amateur chops I see for sale. Good luck with the sale. (Read that last line with as much sarcasm as you can muster)

Ok, I will write this as I am lining up for the firing squad. I kinda like it. A different paint job would go a long way to help it out. Wheels, well theres something going on there too, maybe not so much the 4x4 look. I like the idea of the modern running gear, but I already have a MB in the barn that will only run on limp mode!  Theres a reason why people use chevy motors in hot rods and not something european that will cost a fortune to keep on the road.

I guess the disclosures really sum it up:

20/2021 - What this car needs:

It only runs in 2nd gear and reverse, limp mode.
It has computer issues with faults in equipment used in a 2002 C230K but not reused in this 1952 street rod.
The Vintage Air is hooked up and the heat works but the AC system needs to be charged.

10 hours ago, TAKerry said:

A different paint job would go a long way to help it out. 

Eye of the beholder I suppose Kerry.  :lol:

I think he picked the perfect car for the whole Afrika Korps theme.

It just needs a pair of paint matched jerry-cans incorporated onto the rear section of the running boards and some slotted headlight covers to bring the whole thing together.

1392622934_afrikakorps.jpg.aa684a43ff1e21d52818a4db781bc67c.jpg

10 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Eye of the beholder I suppose Kerry.  :lol:

I think he picked the perfect car for the whole Afrika Korps theme.

It just needs a pair of paint matched jerry-cans incorporated onto the rear section of the running boards and some slotted headlight covers to bring the whole thing together.

1392622934_afrikakorps.jpg.aa684a43ff1e21d52818a4db781bc67c.jpg

Thumbs up from your favorite desert fox!

87979.jpg

• Like 1

Lahti,

Not to get too far off topic here, but your post just reminded me, when I first moved to Palm Springs 20 some years ago there was a small bar downtown named the "Desert Fox" which didn't seem out of place in this sub-tropical location until I found there was a small bistro next door named "The Ugly Sisters Cafe".   I'm a bit of a WWII hobbyist so I instantly recognized that as the nickname for the twin German battle cruisers, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau which terrorized the North Sea for a period during WWII.  And, oddly enough, there was third business with a similarly German war era themed name (which eludes me at this moment) in the same block.

All three are gone now but it always made me wonder if that was intentional or just a strange coincidence and did anyone else ever make the connection?

Cheers, Greg