purge liquide coolant

cquisuila

Hello

Is there liquid coolant purge on my engine 425 please ?

it seems that upper hose is pression

i don't understand

cylinder head gasket ??😇

i change the radiator cap with a new

- when i open the cap , slightly cooled engine, there is liquide coolant which escapes

and the level is at the radiator mark cold

* the engine does not heat (middle control C-H)

* there isn't leak

* i opened chauffage

* water circulates in the heater

This all sounds normal and correct.

The radiator cap is designed to hold pressure into the system. When you open the cap before the engine is cold, you are releasing the pressure (like opening a bottle of champagne). It is best not to do this.

It is possible to add an overflow bottle to the radiator top filler neck for the coolant. Then the radiator is filled 100% with coolant liquid, plus some coolant is in the overflow bottle. Any hot coolant that comes out goes into the bottle, then it goes back into the radiator when the engine cools. I have done this to my car and I recommend that you do this.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

It is possible to add an overflow bottle to the radiator top filler neck for the coolant. Then the radiator is filled 100% with coolant liquid, plus some coolant is in the overflow bottle. Any hot coolant that comes out goes into the bottle, then it goes back into the radiator when the engine cools. I have done this to my car and I recommend that you do this.

This a great idea which I also have done to a number of cars. BUT in order for it to work you must use a VENTED style cap.

Also you probably do know this, but if ever you  empty or flush your radiator  out,

when refilling  you have to  purge out all the air in the system ,--by turning your heater valve

on ,---this enables the coolant fluid go through  and  removes all air in system, do this while car 

is warming up and the thermostat has opened, ---and has reached its normal operating temperature.

If you’re installing a new thermostat, drill a 1/16” hole in the flange, park the car with the nose up, and open the radiator cap. Air will eventually work its way up and out. If you trap the air behind a cold thermostat, you’ll just push the air pocket around.

If it is like my Riviera, the coolant level in the radiator needs to be about 2 inches (5 cm) below the radiator cap opening before it stops burping coolant.  Once that level is established, note that as "full" for your car.  If the level drops below that in the future, or you see wet spots on the ground, then you need to investigate further to determine where the coolant is going.

The air space at the top of the radiator is needed to allow for expansion of the coolant when it is hot.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

EmTee--On my 64 Electra,  my optimum level  is not  about 2 inches  below the radiator  cap opening,

but is about 1 inch below opening,  and coolant level  it is ---3/4 inch above the inside radiator vanes, and  for memory was like that on my

past 65--66 Rivieras that i have sold,---let me know if i am  wrong,---as my radiator is stock Harrison, and  perhaps it is slightly 

different to Riviera..---regards 

P1100348.JPG

P1100349.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

Your Electra is a downflow radiator, like my 1964 Grand Prix has.  My '67 Riviera has a crossflow radiator, so that's probably not a good comparison.  What you observe is similar to what I see with my Grand Prix (about 1" below the opening).  Either car will spit coolant out of the overflow if I try to fill them above their "normal" full point.  My point is simply to note the "normal" cold level of coolant and only get excited when you see the level fall below that level, or you see a green puddle on the ground.  ;)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Your Electra is a downflow radiator, like my 1964 Grand Prix has.  My '67 Riviera has a crossflow radiator, so that's probably not a good comparison.  What you observe is similar to what I see with my Grand Prix (about 1" below the opening).  Either car will spit coolant out of the overflow if I try to fill them above their "normal" full point.  My point is simply to note the "normal" cold level of coolant and only get excited when you see the level fall below that level, or you see a green puddle on the ground.  ;)

Thank you  Emt ee---for explaining that , and under stand  now---regards

All-

I cannot emphasize enough here the big benefit you get to your cooling system from using an overflow bottle.  I know that if not done well, they can look a bit tacky under the hood. So do a neat, clean install.  But try to figure out how to add one.

The 1 inch or 2 inch air gap at the top of the radiator allows a lot of oxygen from the air to dissolve into the coolant. The oxygen promotes rust in the cooling system. Having excess coolant in an overflow bottle, and having the radiator itself full of coolant, right up to the filler neck, slows down the rust quite a bit.

I sprayed the outside of my overflow bottle flat black, to help hide it (it does not stand out like the white plastic "milk jug" does). I found a place out of the way to slip it.  No one even sees it. I've had several people standing there, looking under the hood at the engine, say to me "you should add a coolant overflow bottle". I casually point to it and they are surprised, it was hiding right there in plain sight.

I had a new core put into my radiator 20 years ago and it still looks new inside because I also added the overflow bottle at that time.  I developed a pinhole leak in one tube about 5 years ago. When I brought the radiator to my local radiator shop to fix, he commented on how clean it was inside and said "you must be using an overflow bottle".  I also drain and replace the coolant about every 3 years, regardless of miles.

That is all. I hope you have an opportunity to Drive Your Riv.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chasander said:

Jim a picture would be great

I have a slightly smaller than original battery in there, which gives room for the bottle tucked up under the fender.  This picture was taken before I reversed the battery, so that now the positive post is over by the radiator.

This bottle is more visible in these photos than it is under the hood.

DSCN1134.JPG

DSCN1135.JPG

DSCN1136.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chasander said:

Thanks Jim. Nice Job. Is That a 15# cap. Are the wires from your battery for a headlight relay?

I thought you lived in Texas. 

Those are battery tender wires.

I later went to a lower psi cap, on the advice of my radiator guy.

I used to live outside Houston, TX.

We moved to a small town in far north of Georgia, in the mountains, almost on the NC state line.

• Like 1