1930 peerless barn find

I’m posting pictures of my dads 1930 peerless. It’s been in the barn since 1960 or so. Does turn over but bad Babbitt on the crank. Pretty complete for its age. He bought it as a project and never got time to finish it. We are posting $18000.00or best offer. Car is inside and in upstate New York. Hasn’t been outside since 1960 or so.   more photos upon request. 

A0CB7282-AFDC-42C3-99C4-A95C497E932D.jpeg

48A134C7-56C7-48DB-976F-956EE9C64D1B.jpeg

F883B639-FB25-4870-89A5-327A9CB5A3F5.jpeg

It has a 6 cylinder engine. The last time it was outside was in the early 2000’s when it was moved from one barn to another. The wood floor is not there. I don’t remember about the top. It does have all 5 wooden wheels. The running boards are there and on. I do believe all the glass is intact the seats are in it   Needs the floor replaced. 

35E53A52-24E8-430B-A10E-6836AD3C11AF.jpeg

51131FF3-4795-497E-B38A-F3D9AB41602F.jpeg

5E244D40-F5CE-4F13-851F-A45B54881C9B.jpeg

Not trying to burst your bubble, but you'll be hard pressed to get anywhere near your asking price.  This 1930 Peerless Six was for sale a few years ago for $7500.

Peerless 1.jpg

peerless back.jpg

You have an interesting car, but the amount of work it needs can't justify a $18,000 price tag.  A roadster or a touring car would bring more, but a four door sedan is low man on the price list.  I don't mean to criticize the car, just trying to point out the current market.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Tim perkins said:

The photos are from within the last year. The tarp was moved for the pictures. It is not stuck to the car. It was put over it to keep dirt off of it and add protection  I will take some pictures of the interior tomorrow and post them also. 

Your photos look like they were taken through a window screen. For $18,000, some good quality photos may spur a little more interest.

• Like 4

I admire trying to help your dad out.  We have all been there.   If dad is serious about selling it you will need to get much better pictures.  The other comments with regard to value are correct.   I think if you got 5k for that car you might be charged criminally.     Old cars are funny because to the outside world most look the same,  but valuations are wildy apart depending on critical details.   As a 6 banger sedan Peerless is not great shape it will be tough to find it a home.

• Like 5

I’ve asked around at different antique car shows with the pictures and everyone has said to post it on this site. And ask a high price if people are truly interested they will fairly ask questions about the car and offer advice for selling it. I know the pictures are horrible but it’s not easy to get to the car I apologize for not having theatrical grade pictures. I will try to get better pictures soon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim perkins said:

I’ve asked around at different antique car shows with the pictures and everyone has said to post it on this site. And ask a high price if people are truly interested they will fairly ask questions about the car and offer advice for selling it. I know the pictures are horrible but it’s not easy to get to the car I apologize for not having theatrical grade pictures. I will try to get better pictures soon. 

Tim, anyone telling you to sell your old car by asking a stupid price is not helping you and should be ignored.  However, the advice to come here was good. We have a lot of estate situations where wives or relatives get stuck with a car and have zero idea how to get rid of it.   Guys on here will bend over backwards trying to help in those situations.

Try to get some better pictures and we can see if there is any value there for your dad.  I’m not optimistic but maybe the pictures are not doing it justice.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I admire trying to help your dad out.  We have all been there.   If dad is serious about selling it you will need to get much better pictures.  The other comments with regard to value are correct.   I think if you got 5k for that car you might be charged criminally.     Old cars are funny because to the outside world most look the same,  but valuations are wildy apart depending on critical details.   As a 6 banger sedan Peerless is not great shape it will be tough to find it a home.

Tim, this quote really is helpful if you can use it to guide decisions you will make for the car on your dad’s behalf. 

The price people ask when they list an old car always has some rational or justification behind it. Even people with lots of knowledge who dabble in this stuff all the time will ask at a price level that will find no buyers.  If your family truly wants to move it along and get rid of it, what you really want to know isn’t an “asking price”, but a “selling price” where someone will take the time and inconvenience, get a trailer to drive out pick up the car and pay you and assume all the endless tasks to even think about making this car roadworthy with a decent appearance.

it doesn’t run, has known engine issues, needs paint and body work, chrome?, interior.....  

at what price will someone take all this on.  As AJ mentioned, a 6 cylinder 1930 Peerless, it isn’t a tremendously valuable car so the cost of correcting all of the problems unfortunately makes this a parts car. I don’t know peerless models well enough to know if things on this car were used on higher end peerless models, that would give it some value to somebody doing a restoration.

I would try and get some exposure of this car with the Peerless club, and you might have to be patient to find someone to come get it. If somebody would offer you 2,000- $3000 and do all the work of loading and get it off of your property, I would take it.

at the sale, with the car out of the barn and into the sunlight and fresh air, grab some pictures of your dad with the car. Your family will treasure that in the future. Good luck.

• Like 8

I was thinking there was an extra ZERO on the price when I looked at the photos...  $1,800 would be fair as a parts car.  The radiator clearly needs to be replaced too.  The Blue Tarp of Death is there also, so the barns were probably leaky and damp, hence all the surface rust on the interior.  On a positive note, it looks complete and the cowl lights are cool! 

Tim, I probably don’t speak for everybody, but I bet I speak for the majority when I say that most of us really do think your car is cool. Please don’t take some of the comments about pricing value the wrong way and think that we don’t like your car. If it was at my house I would frequently go out and stare at it with a cup of coffee or a beer in my hand and admire it and enjoy just having it on my property.........As for what I’d be willing to pay to buy it, unfortunately that would get balanced against the large checks that would have to be written to resurrect it. 

Get as much exposure as you can with it in front of the Peerless group of people. There’s a sub form on our website just for Peerless. You might just find the right guy who at the right price would buy it and love it and get it running and leave it as it is to enjoy without sinking a ton of money into it.

If you had it running with good tires and brakes on it and took it to a car show as is, just cleaned up, you’d be amazed how much attention you would get.

• Like 2

Even a hand wash and vacuum would make it presentable. A tarp or cover over the vehicle in an add always looks bad. Some quick research about the make and model, a paragraph added to the post makes it look like you are a conscientious owner. 2 hours of time total.

Any time I sell a car, I wash it inside and out, even the engine bay with a hand scrubber and car soap. Gives the impression that the car was liked and treated well. One car I sold, the buyer looked under the hood and his eyes lit up, and he said "I'll take it", for asking price! He instantly disregarded dents and scratches from various mishaps.

Thank you for the advice. In the spring I plan on getting it out in the sun and cleaning it up. Where it is now takes about an hour to get through the barn to get to it. It will take at least 2-3 days of moving stuff to get it out. And with rain and that awful “S”word coming any time I can’t put all the stuff outside to move the cat right now. 

If someone is truly interested in it I will get some help and move everything to get it out.  It’s behind 50 years of collective “treasures “. I’m not kidding about it taking a serious effort to get it out. The good thing is I put it on skates a year ago so once all the stuff is moved I can move it by myself 

• Like 1