1931 cg overheating

sshaddow

I have a 31 cg that quickly goes to 220 after a couple miles.

Put in new rad core,pulled head cleaned out block,rebuilt pump and checked for correct fan and fan spacing.

Are these a pressurized system? Is there a thermostat I can use.Car runs fine ,just too hot.

Thank you from the newbie 

Not a pressurized system, Chrysler did not have that until the fifties. Get a laser thermometer and compare the temp of the front of the engine to the back, temp should be uniform all the way, if it is hotter at the back your water distribution tube is rusted away or missing. Without it the coolant streams up the front of the engine and does not reach the back of the engine, resulting in overheating of the rear cylinders.

• Like 3

This is embarrassing, as being a mechanic on 50's and 60's cars mostly for 40 years, I am out of my wheelhouse on this engine.

Just setting the timing with a micrometer was a real adventure.

My question is, where does the water distribution tube go? 

Are there any pictures available ?

Where can I buy one?

And yes, you are right, the rear cylinders are much hotter than the front cylinders. Your great advise has probably saved this engine, Thank you.

35 minutes ago, sshaddow said:

This is embarrassing, as being a mechanic on 50's and 60's cars mostly for 40 years, I am out of my wheelhouse on this engine.

My question is, where does the water distribution tube go? 

Are there any pictures available ?

Where can I buy one?

And yes, you are right, the rear cylinders are much hotter than the front cylinders. Your great advise has probably saved this engine, Thank you.

There is no water distribution tube on the 1931 CG. The water pump is the smaller one that does not cover the front of the engine.

1931 Chrysler CG engine.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Not a pressurized system, Chrysler did not have that until the fifties. Get a laser thermometer and compare the temp of the front of the engine to the back, temp should be uniform all the way, if it is hotter at the back your water distribution tube is rusted away or missing. Without it the coolant streams up the front of the engine and does not reach the back of the engine, resulting in overheating of the rear cylinders.

No water distribution tube in that engine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sshaddow said:

If there's no water tube on this engine, what can be done to cool the rear cylinders?

I believe there are water ports near the rear in order to cool the rear half of the block. Are you sure you got all of those cleared out? Also....it could be the timing. Sometimes the timing being slightly off will overheat the engine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sshaddow said:

I'm with you here. It is a paradigm shift.   I too have spent my life with 50s & 60s cars and I too thought I was a decent mechanic. 

For some unknown reason (boredom?) I got a 1920 Cadillac and a 1926 Lincoln. They have kicked my butt!!  

I have learned a whole lot (and I still have a whole lot to learn) but I will carry the scars of extreme frustration and the head banging scars the rest of my life . . . .

Shifting eras in wrenching is NOT EASY. 

When moving from a 20s-30s car to a 60s car I have to stop and take a long break to reset my thinking. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

How much difference would you consider acceptable?

When I have checked later flathead six cylinder Chrysler products there was no difference. If there was 5 degrees I wouldn't worry about it but if the front of the engine is 160 and the back is 200 you have a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sshaddow said:

If there's no water tube on this engine, what can be done to cool the rear cylinders?

Later model Chrysler flatheads have a water distribution tube, those who are more familiar with the 31s say it never had one. If it never had one to begin with maybe there is some blockage from lime, rust etc stopping the water flow.

I see by the picture there is a big thermostat on top of the engine that opens the radiator shutters. This is the old method of controlling engine temp, newer models control water flow. Are the shutters open? When you look in the rad with the engine running is coolant flowing?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

More important than the number of fins (although that can make a difference), are the internal clearances. I am no expert on this, but have been rebuilding some water pumps lately and know just enough to be dangerous. Neither of those things are probably your issue. Crud in the water jacket, a plugged radiator, or a leaky head gasket are more likely. Still, if you post a picture of your pump with the impeller showing I can probably point to which clearance matters the most. It is usually the face of the fins, but that can vary with impeller type.