My 48 Chrysler is a 49!

R Walling

I titled my 48 Chrysler only to find out that it is a 49.

I think that the only difference is the serial #

It seems that Chrysler may have had a lot of left over 48's and sold them as 49's, or they were late in producing the new body style 49's.

The car was riding like I was driving over a rock pile with the brand new 30 year old tires.

There are no corker tires available so I put on a set of 235 75R 15's black wall's.

It looked ugly, so I painted up the three trim rings that came with the car and installed them. I think they look pretty good!.

Now I have to find a forth one somewhere. 

If any one has an extra one foe sale, please send me a PM.

Also one of my hubcaps is 1" larger than the others and it does not show the black rim between the cap and trim ring.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Good looking car.  Congrats on you purchase!

The '46-'48 Mopar lineup carried over into 1949 and has been referred-to as 'First Series' '49.  The 'true' '49's came out at the beginning of the calendar year.

I know that Plymouth had two sizes of basic hubcap, depending on the model.  The Chrysler line may have had the same sizing scheme.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Cool looking car! The hood and fenders seem longer than most that I'm used to seeing from that era.

Back then the 8 cylinder Chryslers (New Yorkers & Saratogas) had longer wheelbases & front ends than the 6s (Royals & Windsors) did. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I titled my 48 Chrysler only to find out that it is a 49.

I think that the only difference is the serial #

It seems that Chrysler may have had a lot of left over 48's and sold them as 49's, or they were late in producing the new body style 49's.

The car was riding like I was driving over a rock pile with the brand new 30 year old tires.

There are no corker tires available so I put on a set of 235 75R 15's black wall's.

It looked ugly, so I painted up the three trim rings that came with the car and installed them. I think they look pretty good!.

Now I have to find a forth one somewhere. 

If any one has an extra one foe sale, please send me a PM.

Also one of my hubcaps is 1" larger than the others and it does not show the black rim between the cap and trim ring.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

I have several of the trim rings but they all need some type of "work" to be done to them.

Also, if your car is a New Yorker then it would have come with the larger hubcaps and there would be no part of the rim showing. The larger hubcap would overlap the trim ring.

Chrysler Corporation, citing retooling delays and material shortages, continued production of the 1948-style cars.  Those after December 1, 1948, series numbers for each series given, were to be registered as and considered First-Series 1949 models.  The Second-Series 1949 models were introduced March 1, 1949 with the all-new body styling.

• Like 1

I have a pile of those missing drivers side trims.

The guy that I got the parts car from had stripped more that one car and it is loaded with stuff.

Unfortunately they have been picked thru over the years and I may not have all three spears.

In any case if you want me to look thru them I will. 

They will all be pitted and would probably need rechroming.

Parking light lens are all gone. 

The bumper guards I have are probably not worth messing with either.

In other words, I have lots of not so good parts.

No trim rings.

But a few not so good hub caps. It seems that I recall two diameters of hub caps.

Pics are some of the stuff I sold already.

IM004559.JPG

IM004561.JPG