Dripless Dynaflow

60FlatTop

Sunday I took my '60 Electra to the Western New York Cadillac LaSalle ice cream social at Oliver's Candy in Batavia, New York. It is a 40 mile drive one way and I arrived to find a freshly blacktopped and striped parking lot.

I took my place as the one and only Buick (No Music Man soundtrack in this car). And enjoyed the get together.

IMG_1011.JPG.f5433fbc510929878787d12598fa2d27.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG.98deb204ad8398465def57a784648556.JPG

As the group was leaving I slowly backed up to check my spot. Clean as a whistle, not a drop. Oliver's is about 1 mile from the transmission shop that rebuilt the Dynaflow over Good Friday week. It's tight now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello,that’s good news usually any post concerning a Dynaflow is wondering how much fluid they are supposed to leak. Even when new Buick dealers weren’t supposed to do anything unless leakage was over a pint in 1000 miles according the product service bulletins .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, gdmn852 said:

Hello,that’s good news usually any post concerning a Dynaflow is wondering how much fluid they are supposed to leak. Even when new Buick dealers weren’t supposed to do anything unless leakage was over a pint in 1000 miles according the product service bulletins .

I noticed that tidbit in either the owner's manual or the service manual and had to chuckle.  A pint in a thousand miles is a LOT of trans fluid.  Mine leaves a couple to several drops wherever I park and I don't use anywhere close to that.  I don't think it's ever even been appreciably low on fluid.  

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)

I haven't pulled the plug on the torque tube, could resemble the great flood. But it's good now.

Recently? Over the week of Good Friday, this Spring, not the first one.

I have a list of all the cars I have owned for personal use (not the flips or parts stuff) there are a lot and I don't remember any real leakers until this one got into the 85,000 mile range. Most were lower mileage.

The work was done by L&L Transmission, https://www.landltransmissions.com/

The mechanic was the same age as my  car. They use FATSCO parts and let me order so I added a bushing set, which they would not have ordered until they inspected it. I also provided a torque ball seal. When I called to order the parts FATSCO asked which of the L's was doing the job, a good sign to me.

I dropped it off on Tuesday and picked it up the following Tuesday. They kept it an extra day because a lot of fluid was under the floorpan and they wanted to be sure their work wasn't dripping. I have cleaned the bottom since.

The total out of my pocket was $2400. FATSCO parts and their labor + the tube seal. Significantly less than I expected.

Today I am at 89,000 miles and change. I bought it in '02 with 67,000.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Personally I think the Dynaflow is a mechanical marvel.  At the very least for the time it was in use.  Mine does not leak but a drop or two every now and then.  Never been out of the car. 38K miles.   

i agree…….. Dynaflows still amaze me after almost 60 years of fooling around with Buick’s.

I routinely dusted 55-56 265 power glide Chevies with my 55 Special coupe at the drags.

I would mildly brake torque it in low to launch……jump out two car lengths, shift to drive and hold the lead

till the end……. This is in 1966!  How it held up to my abuse I’ll never understand.

• Like 4