Antique car parts and E-Bay

Str8-8-Dave

On 8/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, JamesR said:

Yes, the "fits" is a fraud on eBay

Another contributor to this thread says there is a filter to knock the fits junk out, you follow your query with -fits   like 1931 Buick-fits  I tried that and it works.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

Another contributor to this thread says there is a filter to knock the fits junk out, you follow your query with -fits   like 1931 Buick-fits  I tried that and it works.

Yes this works well. I list my car and then follow it with about 20 minis names or words. car name -hats -new -fits, etc., etc., etc. I keep this list on file so all I have to do is copy and paste in the Ebay line.

• Like 1

I know there are lots of search tricks one can use with characters and formatting. But I am just not inclined to bother with them. I see it a an Ebay process that directly decreases my "customer experience" and we know what jerks Ebay can be if a seller creates a less than perfect experience.

When I want a quick sort I just search by highest price first. Put an upper limit on the price so you avoid all the 22" wheels and front suspension upgrades. Works pretty good.

I told a bunch of old goats that I searched highest price first and they called me a snob. They were still groveling for 1960's prices. I didn't tell them what I thought of them.

I've read through the responses to the changes on eBay, and here's my take on it. Over the last twenty five years we all benefited by the eBay and the internet in general. No car part would ever be too obscure or restoration out of the question again. We lived through the  golden years of the hobby when car values were appreciating and the cost of restoration, both parts prices and skilled labor, was was comparatively stable. Things change, over the last fifteen years all of the cost/benefit relationship have been turned upside down. Blaming eBay for  the change in the marketplace does not do justice for the process that the hobby has undergone. There are simply too many variables from the changing demographics (ageing of the Baby Boomers) to environmental issues to political consideration, to blame one institution for the flat market. If it was just a case of  the arbitrary changes the eBay has made we would expect to see a burgeoning swap meet market, but we don't see that happening. None of the other competing internet sites have been able to supplant eBay. Until one of these sites can provide the market coverage that eBay has today, it will continue to be the best solution in our changing hobby.

• Like 6

On 8/31/2021 at 12:15 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Things change, over the last fifteen years all of the cost/benefit relationship have been turned upside down. Blaming eBay for  the change in the marketplace does not do justice for the process that the hobby has undergone. 

Very true Bill... you make some very valid points. However, for most of us, the frustration isn't related to anything you mentioned. 

The frustration I've seen from most of us auto parts guys are warranted due to increased incompetent employees, and the simple fact the seller is now unable to leave negative feedback for a deadbeat buyer who makes false claims because they simply cannot read OR are too lazy to do their own research or ask questions as a buyer.

Those are two very, very basic things that are not really too much to ask (as a seller) who has paid eBay fees for over twenty years. How many clients in any other business would be a return customer in any other industry if they were so disregarded? Not many, maybe some, but not many...
Petitioning eBay does nothing, no matter how civil you approach each given situation whenever there's a problem. If they would at least consider resolving some of these issues by properly training employees and acknowledging customer (buyers and sellers) situations are not always so black and white you'd see a great majority of the market begin to enjoy the experience once again.

You're right though, they'll keep doing it because they have the market cornered. Still the best (current) online option regardless I have to agree. A day will come when that will change as well... until then, we are forced to abide by their rules.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

On 8/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, keiser31 said:

I always type in for example, "1931 Dodge - fits" and it will narrow the non-1931 Dodge stuff down considerably.

using -fits used to filter quite a bit of non related results to my searches on feebay, not any more, feebay has turned itself from a asset to parts hunting, to a P.I.T.A.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

using -fits used to filter quite a bit of non related results to my searches on feebay, not any more,

You're right! It doesn't work anymore. If I search for used Alfa Romeo parts and include "-fits" I NOW get a Honda Accord air conditioning compressor which also "fits" Alfa Romeo.

And I also get a Mopar ignition coil which "fits" Alfa Romeo.