Need your help-where can I get this part of the front end/steering

stereo

Hey guys,

I need your help again. After rebuilding the rear differential we wanted to rebuild the front end-what a mess. It took lots of heat, force and beer and finally we got everything disassembled. Obviously the car had a front crash in its long live, some steering parts were damaged. A clever guy „fixed“ it and welded in the ball joint on one side of the „unnamed“ part of the steering.

long story short: I need to replace the rod which connects the tie rods. I don‘t know the english word for it but I‘ll attach a picture...

my question: where can I buy this new or does anyone have one for sale?

thank you guys!

cheers

Stereo

C7A7C400-F167-4F77-8B5B-63B8DAEB5A3C.jpeg

Sir, the short version of a long story about suspension rebuilding can be answered by Tom Teleco aka TelRiv. Tom is a recognized expert on first generation Riviera’s and others. Tom has rebuild my suspension with me as the helper. Shocks, new coil springs, front and rear ADDCO sway bars, inspection ad lubrication of axle seals. Tom rebuilt my steering box, my carburetor, put in electronic ignition, and was available for engine builder to call regarding my engine rebuild. I’ve worked with Tom in my car. PM TelRiv and listen to him. He’s 75 years young and done this all his life.

Turbinator

This is bad news. But as always, the good thing is that I‘ll get an idea from you how to fix it. I already familiarized with the thought of not driving it this year anymore :( The Riviera might stay on the lift for another winter

Good to know that nothing from any other car fits in, cause we also thought about that already-so I‘ll focus on getting mine rebuild. I‘ll contact TelRiv and also a guy here who rebuilds parts for old cars that aren‘t available anymore...

If someone can fix it here in Germany it makes all the logistics much easier...

I‘ll keep you updated....

thank‘s guys!

stereo

8FDCE9C7-F283-40B1-80C2-47BF5E3FE72E.jpeg

Edited by stereo (see edit history)

If you have the downtime time you can ship yours to https://shop.rareparts.com/ for rebuild. Or you may find a used supplier in US to send a core to Rare Parts for rebuild then return it to you. Rare Parts is trusted and has a great reputation.

Basically you will have shipping cost if you send yours. Otherwise if you find one in US from a used supplier you could have them send it to Rare Parts then on to you maybe cost a bit more but less hassle for you. Rebuildable cores usually go for around $40 or $50US  

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Don't forget, if some else can rebuild it you can too. If the bar is straight and the weld you mention can be ground off you can take the swivel joints out by grinding the tack welds on the cup side and pressing the assembly out. I have done this on a '62 Electra that wandered on the road. there are a couple of Teflon sleeves that guide the taper shafts. Luckily that was all I found wrong. If the balls and sockets are worn they is probably a GM tie rod end that could be used for parts. I don't know which but the rebuilders figured it out.

Take your center link apart and see what is worn. You might be surprised at how quickly you can make it good.

On 7/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, RivNut said:

He’ll actually need two

Ed, I have back ups like compressors, power steering pumps, alternators, radiators, power brake vacuum booster and such. I don't like having my car out of service while I wait for a part rebuild. I have many family members that keep back up parts for their vehicles. I only do this parts back up practice for the Riviera.Since I only have one collector car having the extra parts is not a strain. My daily drivers are up to date modern cars and parts are readily available so I don;'t keep back up parts for the daily driver. I'm a believer in being prepared as much as humanly possible.

Turbinator

6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I have back ups like compressors, power steering pumps, alternators, radiators, power brake vacuum booster and such. I don't like having my car out of service while I wait for a part rebuild. I have many family members that keep back up parts for their vehicles. I only do this parts back up practice for the Riviera.Since I only have one collector car having the extra parts is not a strain. My daily drivers are up to date modern cars and parts are readily available so I don;'t keep back up parts for the daily driver. I'm a believer in being prepared as much as humanly possible.

Turbinator

As do I. For the 63, 64, and the 65.  Been doing it since I bought my 63 back in 82.  It was easy as first because 20 year old cars were just starting to hit the salvage yards.  Here in the KC area I had 4 - 5 yards spotted that I could count on to have at least one or two "in stock" at any given time.  When I needed a part, I'd usually grab that one I needed plus another one.   Pretty easy pickings up until about 5 years ago. Then they all became $$$ for the yards as crushers.  But I know one thing for sure.  I could not have done this if I was living in Berlin, Germany where @stereois.  The guys from the other side of the pond do not have the advantages they we here in the states do.  I have to applaud them for even considering trying to maintain a low production, vintage, American car. I would not attempt such a thing.  

Ed, I’m in the same boat with you regarding the Europeans keeping our vintage cars. My observation is the gents overseas generally are sharper than guys like me. They may be mechanics, engineers or people stunned to such challenges. I sold a solid set of turbines covers and one center cap with emblem. The gent without being a dickhead was wondering what I could do for not a lot of money. Bottom line I sent over solid wheel covers cleaned up with no cracks or gouges with the understanding he polish them to his liking. Turns out the gent is a body shop painter for cars. Every one came out. I got rid of some weak orphans that were all repaired and had to be shaped to match the contours. He was ready for such an offer at a good price. No one here would buy what he bought and expect to bling them out.

Point being is hats off to the guys overseas fixing our Buicks.

turbinator

ps the gent lives in New Zealand

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

On 7/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, stereo said:

Hey guys,

I need your help again. After rebuilding the rear differential we wanted to rebuild the front end-what a mess. It took lots of heat, force and beer and finally we got everything disassembled. Obviously the car had a front crash in its long live, some steering parts were damaged. A clever guy „fixed“ it and welded in the ball joint on one side of the „unnamed“ part of the steering.

long story short: I need to replace the rod which connects the tie rods. I don‘t know the english word for it but I‘ll attach a picture...

my question: where can I buy this new or does anyone have one for sale?

thank you guys!

cheers

Stereo

I was able to buy a TRW NOS-R (new old stock-replacement) center link from a seller on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was installed on my 68 along with a P-S-T front end rebuild kit with no issues (except the P-S-T kit has reaction rod bushings for a 1969-70 Riviera). I had to buy a 68 bushing kit. P-S-T did refund me the amount I spent on the 68 bushing kit. Very nice of them!