Auction: Alberta, Canada, Variety of Collector Cars

The 1950 Packard two door club sedan fastback is a 23rd Super which are rare.    Robert Neal's text Packard 1948-1950 reported an estimated production of 675.  Exact production numbers aren't known, the estimates are based on highest recorded body number.

The 1942 Packard Clipper had postwar center grille installed which wasn't unusual after the war to 'update' the looks of a used car.

Have seen  a few of these private collector auction this year up here in Canada. Mostly just trying to cash in on the covid price hype. I'm always skeptical of these small private auctions as you never know who you're bidding against. The house, the brother in law or legitimate buyers. 

• Like 3

i would definitely pass.  The subject of transport back to USA has been brought up before with some saying its easy.   I will NEVER try it again. Who is going to transport it?  Last I heard the border was still locked down due to coronavirus.  So your only shot is an expensive unknown transporter.  It won't be cheap and you won't know anything. It may get pulled off the truck at the border. Everyone gets paid in advance.  So their interest in your car is less.  

I lost out on a 1942 Packard 180 7 p because it was in Canada and I could not get transport.  I prepaid a guy $1500 to go get it and bring it to Vermont. He cashed my check and never did anything. I paid for the car which wasn't much at $2,000 but was a total loss as the seller resold the car after I could not get another transporter. No way.  This auction is a total trap especially with Coronavirus and it's not really an auction with the seller able to control final sale decision.  

The Canadian-U.S. border is scheduled to reopen on 9 August.  With the auction closing on 24 July, there would be no way for U.S. residents to preview.  Terms state 'miscellaneous items' must be removed within 7 days (i.e., 31 July)....again, an issue fur us Yanks as the border does not open for another 10 days after that date.  If they were smart, knowing the border was scheduled to reopen soon, they'd delay the auction to take advantage of additional potential bidders/buyers.  But that hasn't happened.

https://www.ktoo.org/2021/07/19/canada-announces-border-to-open-aug-9-for-vaccinated-americans/

• Like 1

Stopped in after work today and had a look around, certainly  some interesting cars for sale here, the 1936 Auburn  looks alright, the 1939 Packard conv. looks to be alright, the 1927 LaSalle looks not too bad except for the loud colours, I did like the 1925 Packard but currently at $10,000 appears to be max. dollars in my opinion.

• Like 1

I looked at about 50 of these before they went up for auction.  Heard about them late, they had already sold a lot of the good ones, must have had a couple hundred or so.  In general they are bid to about 1/3 of what they were asking.  For example I think they wanted $35K for the Auburn and not sure but $40-$45 for the Packard, and $20K for the 50 Packard!  All are rough around the edges especially for that money. Most not running.  Think they had marginal inside storage.  Was lots of mouse droppings in the Auburn.  To bad, they deserve better. 

• Like 1

They had another auction a couple years ago of mostly outside cars, most pretty rough.  Must have been 300 or more.  I got a decent 38 ish International D . Think I heard he had 1200 or so.  Do't think I'm super accurate on the numbers but he had a ton!

Looks like the cars are getting fair bids but none are reaching their "reserve" numbers.

I find reserve type auctions are usually a waste of time.

Most are now listed as sold. Generally around what you would expect for prices , but some look like decent deals. Edsel convert and 52 Chevy convert both  look like good buy in prices. But who knows if seen in person. Many are listed as auction bill of sale only, that will be a can of worms in most cases.