1949 Buick Super Restoration project

15 hours ago, Skvitt said:

These patches are on both fenders, is this a common rust spot for them?

4.jpg

Very common in those days to try to fit a 1940s car into a 1920s garage. I imagine that is why the patches are there.

• Haha 1

Thank you. That was a reason why I jumped on it! Good condition and right price. Had to drive 3 hrs one way to get it, but it was part of the fun😊

Can't wait to starting taking it apart!. Just have to finish my other project - 85 Corvette to free up garage space. Pulled out the radio. Getting the new set of tubes and capacitors. I know, that is not where you start restoration, but that is the only thing that fits on my bench right now😊

20210717_182845.jpg

20210717_182900.jpg

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Beautiful car!  Great progress so far, too.  That's the way to do it.  Attack it immediately and keep the momentum going.  Are you going to go with the original color, or go with something else entirely?

48 minutes ago, hursst said:

Beautiful car!  Great progress so far, too.  That's the way to do it.  Attack it immediately and keep the momentum going.  Are you going to go with the original color, or go with something else entirely?

Thank you!. I think I will cheat on the color a bit. Original is Cumulus Gray. I think I'll go with grey, but a bit darker. Perhaps metallic. Not sure yet. Still couple of years to decide 😊

• 1 month later...

Good to see more progress!  Try to do a little each day, even if it's just taking one screw off something, it's all forward progress and it all adds up.  Looking forward to seeing more posts; really like your car.  I they grey, in what ever shade, is a great color for these cars.  I know I don't have a vote, but I would vote against metallic.  Something about the solid look to a non-metallic car from this era.  Keep the updates coming.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hursst said:

Good to see more progress!  Try to do a little each day, even if it's just taking one screw off something, it's all forward progress and it all adds up.  Looking forward to seeing more posts; really like your car.  I they grey, in what ever shade, is a great color for these cars.  I know I don't have a vote, but I would vote against metallic.  Something about the solid look to a non-metallic car from this era.  Keep the updates coming.

Thank you!. I'm trying to do something every day, - sandblast the part, remove the part from the car, scrape couple of sq. inches of undercoating... I'm thinking non-metallic too, something in a darker shade of grey. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...