1949 Buick Super Restoration project

1 hour ago, 32carjump said:

I'm working to redo the interior on a 1949 Buick Super.  Any advice on removing the window cranks?  I'm sure there are clips holding them in place but there is also that tricky spring loaded metal ring around each crank.  

Easiest way to remove them is with a pair of door handle clip pliers. You push the springy part of the escutcheon back toward the door upholstery, insert the pliers down the groove in the door handle and pull the clip out from the top. 

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

Thank you so much....I did a quick search and I can't find that exact tool but there are a few knock-offs.   Unless you have a supplier you'd recommend to pick this up, I'll roll the dice with a inter webs purchase.    Thank you for pulling the curtain back on this magic show! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skvitt,

On occasion, we tune in to see what others are doing in our hobby/trade.  You sir, are a MASTER.  The attention to detail of every thing that you touch shows a skilled craftsman who really knows his "stuff".  Following you restoration of this old Buick is a fascinating tale that we enjoy immensly.  

I was saddened to not see any current postings, thinking that this car was put on "hold" due to ? ?  Anyway, it was a nice day to return to see you back at it.  

My dad was a "Buick head" back in the day, starting with a 1952 (after he completed medical school) sedan and progressing up to the 1956 Roadmaster wagon for our expanding family.  He purchased a 1955 21' Lonestar Cabincruiser (Aluminum construction from a Texas boat builder of the day) and he bought a 1955 red and white Buick Stationwagon to pull it and haul our family to the local lakes of S.E. Kansas/North central Arkansas.  Our lake of preference was Bull Shoals Lake close to Mountain Home, AR.

Those Buicks were beautiful examples of Detroit Iron and served our family well.  Our last one was the Charcoal/Red combination that was fully loaded with all the bells and whistles.  It never once faild our family in it's dutiful service.  My dad was a lifelong Buick Head. 

Sadly, we lost our father in 1960 and so the end of the Buicks came to pass.  But the memories of those Leviathans are permanently etched in my memorybanks.  More room and luxury for a family of 7 in those days.    

Restoring this model will be a "crown jewel" in the ensuing resto threads.  Can't wait to see the next installment. 

Great work!

• Like 1

Skvitt,

Are you doing all of the sewing on the interior?  If so, you are TALENTED !   Not only are you a body man but tackling the intricies of auto upholstery is a specialty that most cannot do.  The seats look amazing and that arm rest assembly is a lot more complicated than what it looks to be. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:40 PM, Randiego said:

Skvitt,

Are you doing all of the sewing on the interior?  If so, you are TALENTED !   Not only are you a body man but tackling the intricies of auto upholstery is a specialty that most cannot do.  The seats look amazing and that arm rest assembly is a lot more complicated than what it looks to be. 

Thank you, 

Yes, I'm trying to do pretty much everything by myself, learn as I go, a lots of times from my own mistakes (or from mistakes of people who took my advise 😁😁😁). It's not perfect, but I won't have anybody to blame for imperfections, but myself 😁. There is a lot of things that I've done in my life. One thing that I haven't try yet is a bodywork and painting, I guess will see how it goes😊

Project has not been put on hold, I'm doing a little thing here and there, some tasks are repeat so I don't post them. And as we all know some tasks that look too easy, take hours and days to complete to complete. These fenders took me 2 days to install and line up properly, for final welds. Now working on skirts.

Sometimes I think - what will I do with all the skills that I gained? Maybe one more resto in my lifetime, but 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)

A small progress last night. Discovered a bunch of pinholes in the rocker. Cutting those areas out and patching them up. There is still a small area between cutouts to deal with. I'll do it after 2 big ones are patched up. 

20220912_175816.jpg

20220912_181802.jpg

20220912_184912.jpg

20220912_192010.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started with repair of reinforcement piece. Probably didn't have to make it as fancy, nobody will ever see it anyways, probably flat piece of 11 ga steel would do, but what that fun that would be:) so desided to replicate it with the bead in the middle. However not having bead roller strong enough for 14ga, decided to make it out of 3 pieces.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)