Bolt seats in over carpet?

Jim Cannon

I am finishing up my new carpet install in my '63.

I see where the factory cut pretty wide gaps in the carpet so that they could bolt the seat tracks directly to the metal floor pan, and then the carpet lays to each side of the tracks. They also cut these same wide gaps in the jute padding. Attached are 2 photos of the rear carpet piece, right and left side, in which you can see the gaps that they cut.

Do you all think this necessary?  Don't you think we can just bolt through the carpet into the floor? Like what they did for the seatbelt anchor bolts? Maybe cut the jute out where the bracket bolts in,  but let the carpet lay directly on the metal pan and bolt through it?

I have been using the original carpet pieces as a template, but I have not cut the carpet yet... so there is still time to adjust.

Thanks!

IMG_4399.jpeg

IMG_4398.jpeg

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, RivNut said:

IMHP, only if you can draw the bolts down tight enough so the carpet has no flex left to it. You wouldn't want the seat to be able to rock because the carpet is acting as a cushion.  

I did think if that. And I don't know the answer for sure but I think I can bolt it down tight enough.

Buick did everything for a reason, so I am trying to understand why they did it this way. Possibly for ease of assembly. If they covered the seat track bolt holes with carpet, the assembly line guys would have a harder time finding them quickly to install the seats. I'm not under such time pressure.

The carpet was slit to cover, and hide the bolt heads and seat tracks for aesthetic appearance, after the track is bolted directly to the floor.

The track bolts should supply chassis ground, but an additional hidden ground wire won't hurt.

• Like 2

I did the large cuts. looked ugly as sin. Wished I wouldn't have. I ended up cutting custom pieces to fill in with. These picture show before I cut the pieces to cover it. Looks better now. 

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

The carpet was slit to cover, and hide the bolt heads and seat tracks for aesthetic appearance, after the track is bolted directly to the floor.

The track bolts should supply chassis ground, but an additional hidden ground wire won't hurt.

You are correct Randy.  It was done for aesthetic purposes so none of the hardware would be visible.  When I replaced the carpet in my 64, I ran it underneath and wasn’t happy with the unfinished look.  As Jim states, Buick did it for a reason and it was to allow for the carpet to overlap the hardware for a properly finished look.

• Like 1

I've bolted through carpet (less jute) on occasion. No problem if that's what you decide to do. Very common on other makes and models for seat to sit on top of carpet. I heat up a large diameter punch or similar to "melt" the hole in carpet. I'm sure you know what attempting to drill hole will result in. 

I just bought new ACC carpets for my '60 Buick, saw a good tip to pass along. Heat the tip of a Phillips Head screwdriver with a Bernzamatic torch and penetrate the backing where you want a hole instead of poking a knife edge through. I am going to do that with holes and at the end of slits. Looks like a good idea.

Also planning to use Velcro in key fitting locations.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I have a set of punches that come in a variety of widths. With a good hammer, they'll go through almost anything; and they make a nice clean hole the exact size you want it.  Less than $10 at Harbor Freight. Many uses. I bought them to punch holes in rubber belting I'm using to make exhaust bracket hangersimage_18468.jpg.3d8da9aaa29d49b94ed717293a52275a.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1