A greater White…

Gary_Ash

Ed may have the great 1917 White, but President Taft had a 1909 steam-powered White with a 40 hp engine and 122” wheelbase. Today it lives at the Heritage Museum in Sandwich, MA on Cape Cod. We toured the shop at the museum this evening, enjoyed a lot of neat old cars. Here are a few.

BEA9E149-9646-40CD-B2B0-9A6D1556B719.jpeg.ce457c9cb32e76d1c9dd485aa2b0b246.jpeg

The 1909 White steamer with President Taft (400 lb) aboard.

5A948F95-EA19-4621-96B2-72E9A1130B3C.jpeg.a7ff879a7ad95109b8093d9391c9273d.jpeg

The White Model M steamer today.

9E63DB9D-8B12-4886-A2B5-F7B0661BC0CC.jpeg.a56d69b9352881329de04a12eb58c42b.jpeg

Gary Cooper’s Duesenberg J.

21500970-F30A-413C-8600-9803CB1B9592.jpeg.be58d006f4f35f24dce0470628de1e30.jpeg

The Duesenberg engine - impressive even now!

6F91EEC8-F874-4ADF-AF6C-D74BBF8C5D83.jpeg.ecf04548ebe04e4230689109125e0938.jpeg

1916 Crane-Simplex with 565 cu in straight six, 110 hp. A monster!  Oh, and an electric Red Bug in the background. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

The Duesenberg is interesting.

Was that the color combination when Gary Cooper owned it?

Those are the colors from new. It sat for thirty years and recently was made into a runner and cleaned up. Great car, colors........so-so.

• Like 2

Gary, it’s been over forty years since I have had a ride in a White steamer. They are true road locomotives. My 1917 is probably faster on the top end, but out of the hole, steam will win every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not so sure on the Duesenberg...

Looks like a restoration sometime?  Frame was black or darker than it is now, side mount mirrors are gone, interior is a new color, side mount covers were painted, looks like the original has a lighter color body side molding most likely matching the fender color, the top cover is a cheap copy of the original, door hinges were painted, looks like the steering wheel was lighter color also? no wind wings....

2021...gray scale

image.png.2cafbaa59ba4069deeff84a37080ae4d.png

image.png.ca3a931e90bb2becf548d3f6ed074ad2.png

GM,

This is very interesting when you show the two pictures side by side in gray scale. There are quite a few differences and  it does make the orig. main body color look darker than the later pale yellow. The pattern is different as well with a color change above the upper belt line.

Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I know the shop that did the most recent work on the car. The colors are correct. I can’t answer to the gray scale side by side, but differences in film and electronic technology are probably the reason. The car underwent a restoration  many years ago, and has lacquer paint on it. Besides seeing it in the restoration shop being serviced, I was parked next to it with J-357 three years ago on Cape Cod at a CCCA Grand Classic.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The bright yellow as seen on that Duesenberg was not all that unusual on higher end cars in those years, but was usually paired with dark brown or black.

For example, Studebaker offered the combination of Canary Yellow & Chippendale Brown in 1931.

Craig

Since it was Gary Coopers car... and if it was yellow and green, there would be an account of the colors in some Hollywood star magazine from 1931, they would have described the colors because they would be as outlandish then as it is today.  My money would be this classy combination....with light green leather, to match the side molding and under the fenders.

image.png.cc968a9ca60c15a790460903ad19f383.png

This is the only other Duesenberg I could find in bright yellow

image.png.bd91be507dee642f2ec6463e06b200c0.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

The colors are correct. I can’t answer to the gray scale side by side, but differences in film and electronic technology are probably the reason. 

I agree with Ed's judgment on the Duesenberg colors.

Even something as simple as shadow and shade may

account for the perceived differences between then and now.

20 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Female Model Supercharged working on Duesenberg 35 SJ. : News Photo

What color combo was this one?  Gary Cooper's Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ.

I could be wrong? (Like that has never happened?) But I am pretty sure that car is a Mercedes?

Don't know who the girl is?

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

That is a Motor Trend photo shoot with Gary Cooper's car

Female Model Working Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ
UNITED STATES - AUGUST 24: Female Model Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ. You could't overestimate an SSSJ owner, for there were only two, Clark Gable and Gary Cooper, who constantly raced. This one was Cooper's It's now at Briggs Cunningham, Museum in California. This car and caption appeared in the December 1967 issue of Motor Trend. (Photo by Gerry Stiles/The Enthusiast Network via Getty Images/Getty Images)

Something about "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"?🤔

Edited by Ozstatman
spelling (see edit history)

Female Model Working Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ : News Photo

Female Model Working Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ
UNITED STATES - AUGUST 24: Female Model Supercharged Duesenberg 35 SJ. You could't overestimate an SSSJ owner, for there were only two, Clark Gable and Gary Cooper, who constantly raced. This one was Cooper's It's now at Briggs Cunningham, Museum in California. This car and caption appeared in the December 1967 issue of Motor Trend. (Photo by Gerry Stiles/The Enthusiast Network via Getty Images/Getty Images)

(This pic shows the 3 pointed star best) Those pictures obviously are not taken from that magazine.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)