East Coast Fuel Crisis!

63RedBrier

You mean the little yellow vents? I bought some several years ago, and converted most of my modern "cans" to actually vent! So much easier.👍

WOW, only in Nashville, you will not believe what just happened 15 minutes ago. So I pulled into the gas station to get some gas, and a bottled water. I was going in to pay, I noticed the Police parked on the side of the building. He was watching this woman who was smoking a cigarette while she was pumping gas. Of course I saw her, and thought, this lady's gotta be dumb as a rock, and the cop is right there too! But anyways, I went inside and got my water, and paid for my gas. As the cashier was giving me my receipt, I heard somebody screaming. I looked out the door, and the woman's arm was on fire! She was swinging her arm, and running around like crazy! I ran outside to help the police, he had just put the lady on the ground, and was putting the fire out with his coffee! He then handcuffed her, and put her in the back of his police car. I was wondering, "What kind of person smokes while pumping gas, thinking nothing's going to happen? So, being the person that I am, I asked the officer what he was charging her with? He looked me dead in my face, and said, "WAVING A FIREARM!"😂
(Copied from a friend)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Someone said there were people getting gasoline in plastic bags. Well, here's a couple of cars using bags of gas. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. hahaha, Oh yeah, no smoking in the back seat please! London during WWII, a real gas/petrol shortage

London during WWII Coal gas fueled cars.jpg

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

5 hours ago, hook said:

Someone said there were people getting gasoline in plastic bags. Well, here's a couple of cars using bags of gas. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. hahaha, Oh yeah, no smoking in the back seat please! London during WWII, a real gas/petrol shortage

London during WWII Coal gas fueled cars.jpg

Are you sure that's gas in those roof rack baggies? The weight of that much liquid would flatten those little Austin Sevrns, let alone render them unmovable under their own power. 

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Are you sure that's gas in those roof rack baggies? The weight of that much liquid would flatten those little Austin Sevrns, let alone render them unmovable under their own power. 

Terry

That was gas like in methane or some other flammable gas. It was certainly not gasoline.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Gas is not liquid, gasoline is liquid

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bleach said:

That was gas like in methane or some other flammable gas. It was certainly not gasoline.

It was coal gas. Back in the day before natural gas and natural gas pipelines were everywhere, coal gas was the thing. In Great Britain during the war the gasoline/petrol shortage created all kinds of innovated ways to keep taxis and busses running. Coal gas was used in the United States in the days before natural gas for street and home lighting. Every town and city had their own gas works for just that reason. We, in the United States and probably other countries are still suffering from that system. Most of the original gas works locations in cities and towns are super fund sites and are in a constant ground cleaning action.

• Thanks 2

Well, since the topic has drifted away from the East Coast fuel crisis that seems to have evaporated faster than a gallon of gasoline, enjoy reading more about those "gas-bag" cars mentioned above-

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/11/gas-bag-vehicles.html

Also popular in Europe was the car fired by gas produced by wood burning. 

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

Both technologies leave a lot to be desired, not to mention the safety aspects or the aesthetics. 

Examples of these cars survive in several museums, including the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville Tn.

Terry

Wood burning automobile.jpg

Wood buring automobile 2.jpg

• Like 2