East Coast Fuel Crisis!

63RedBrier

Gas in ground is cool. We are having 90 degree weather. Should be entertaining if parks in the sun.

We get our gas by barge.

Just went to Sarasota for a beach week. Drive around A Lot to malls and such. 400 miles +. Still have 3/8 of a tank. Saw 2.71/regular on way home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've seen no price gouging in Virginia. Highest regular price I've seen within 100 miles of here was 3.099/gal. Most stations are 2.899. They were 2.799 on Monday.

This is probably due to our governor declaring an emergency which comes with prohibitions on "price gouging".👍

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I've seen no price gouging in Virginia. Highest regular price I've seen within 100 miles of here was 3.099/gal. Most stations are 2.899. They were 2.799 on Monday.

This is probably due to our governor declaring an emergency which comes with prohibitions on "price gouging".👍

I've seen no problems in southern Delaware. Everything is normal, no lines, no empty stations.

23 hours ago, George Cole said:

image.png.85be15809f53cbaffd65ef77455da4bc.png

Yes indeed,...horde that gasoline. It's gives good practice to your local fire departments! This is one of the results of a load of gas containers. ((4) 5 gal plastic containers) I hope he had his marshmallows ready.

BB1gJBVm.jpg

Edited by hook (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hook said:

Yes indeed,...horde that gasoline. It's gives good practice to your local fire departments! This is one of the results of a load of gas containers. ((4) 5 gal plastic containers) I hope he had his marshmallows ready.

BB1gJBVm.jpg

It's the new chemistry lesson -   Hummer H2 + 4 Gas Cans = Hummer H2O

• Haha 3

There was a report of a station in Lynchburg area that set its price at $6.99/gal and when a local reporter asked about it, the station turned off its digital price sign and claimed out of gas. 

It's still under $3/gal here for most part and have seen only one still out of fuel, a little mom-n-pop store with two gas islands. Even the mighty Walmart stations here ran out Thursday, though Sheetz and Valero didn't.

Having a couple of 5 gal GAS cans is no big deal, but some of the containers these gas hoarders were using has convinced me there are a lot of incredibly stupid people in this world. I can't say "ignorant" because anyone should know that fuel vapors are flammable, that they expand and pressurize inside a hot vehicle interior, and any ignition source (even their cell phone appendage) can light off those vapors with predictable disastrous results.

Darwinism at its finest. I just don't like the possibility they might take me out when they take themselves out.🎆

Hummer driver apparently is a man, and the lighting of a cig is speculative at this point.

On Wednesday, May 12, Citrus County Fire Rescue responded to an emergency call about a vehicle up in flames outside of a Citgo gas station in Homosassa, Florida. The vehicle in question was a Hummer H2, which almost burned to the ground after a man attempted to transport four five-gallon containers of gasoline.

In what appears to be an act of panic buying due to the fuel shortage along the East Coast, the occupant managed to escape with non-life-threatening injuries. According to the Citrus County Chronicle, the injured man refused medical attention against EMT advice. The call reporting a vehicle on fire near a Texaco Food Mart at South Alabama Avenue and West Grover Cleveland Boulevard came in at 10:52 a.m. Citrus County Fire Rescue arrived on the scene at 10:59 a.m., extinguishing the engulfed H2 by 11:09 a.m.

Based on the photos released by Citrus County Fire Rescue, the Hummer did not travel too far before catching on fire. How the fire got started in the first place remains unknown. What we can say is that the gas-filled containers that ultimately melted in the Hummer's cargo area certainly had something to do with it. Although a Reddit post that has since then gone viral claims the driver lit a cigarette, the Florida State Fire Marshal is conducting an investigation and will confirm the cause.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Hummer driver apparently is a man, and the lighting of a cig is speculative at this point.

On Wednesday, May 12, Citrus County Fire Rescue responded to an emergency call about a vehicle up in flames outside of a Citgo gas station in Homosassa, Florida. The vehicle in question was a Hummer H2, which almost burned to the ground after a man attempted to transport four five-gallon containers of gasoline.

In what appears to be an act of panic buying due to the fuel shortage along the East Coast, the occupant managed to escape with non-life-threatening injuries. According to the Citrus County Chronicle, the injured man refused medical attention against EMT advice. The call reporting a vehicle on fire near a Texaco Food Mart at South Alabama Avenue and West Grover Cleveland Boulevard came in at 10:52 a.m. Citrus County Fire Rescue arrived on the scene at 10:59 a.m., extinguishing the engulfed H2 by 11:09 a.m.

Based on the photos released by Citrus County Fire Rescue, the Hummer did not travel too far before catching on fire. How the fire got started in the first place remains unknown. What we can say is that the gas-filled containers that ultimately melted in the Hummer's cargo area certainly had something to do with it. Although a Reddit post that has since then gone viral claims the driver lit a cigarette, the Florida State Fire Marshal is conducting an investigation and will confirm the cause.

So he is a Florida Man, he is THE FLORIDA MAN! Most of the time any I read about a strange, stupid, weird crime, begins with a "A Florida Man" 

• Haha 3

Breaking news! Bay area gas station in flames.

GUIDE: Bay Area Restaurants On Film (For Hungry Movie Buffs) | KQED

I didn't get the details. The news actor said "When we come back". After 23 commercials I lost interest. I certainly wasn't got to wait as long as it took for this breaking report:

titatic.png.fa0c128685a419087a84a16ca19fa937.png

19 minutes ago, car crazy said:

Note the manufacturer......

teslagas.jpg

Maybe they have an ICE vehicle at home but didn’t want to waste the gas getting it to the filling station. Or they are getting it for a friend, neighbor or relative. Makes no sense otherwise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Breaking news! Bay area gas station in flames.

GUIDE: Bay Area Restaurants On Film (For Hungry Movie Buffs) | KQED

That movie terrified me. But even as a young'un I hated seeing those old cars burn. 

Keep telling meself at the time they were used cars probably pulled off some sleazy dealer's back row...

Between my several lawn devices, golf car, quad, and of coarse the go kart racing I will occasionally buy 5 or 6 five gallon containers of gasoline.

We have probably close to three acres of lawn between me and the two daughters all living next to each other.

Guess who owns the lawn mowers and gas cans. (and the pick up)

Oh, almost forgot, one jug of diesel for the tractor.

This time of year one can hear lawn equipment running in the neighborhood pretty much all of the time.

• Like 2

Like Jack, I usually get two 5 gal cans at a time for the lawn equipment- non-ethanol of course. A 5 gal can of offroad  Diesel for the tractor as needed. 

When I buy fuel in containers though, it always rides in the truck bed. Once got caught up short and had to haul some in the station wagon, but the tailgate window was open for the 5 mile trip home. Also use nothing but containers approved to transport fuel.

I have no desire to be a bomb on wheels! 💣🔥

5 hours ago, nick8086 said:

outof.jpg

That explains why I couldn't find my favorite brand of pepper grinder last week! All the grocer had was what I call pepper dust- that flavorless mess that makes you sneeze.

Really, with half the fast-food joint dining rooms in the country still closed, there ought to be an abundance of pepper instead of a shortage. Basing that on fact that they give you only one or two measly packets of pepper in a take-out or drive-thru order.

I didn't really pay much attention because I flat refuse to use them, but wonder how last week's gas "crisis" affected drive-thru restaurant business? The numbers are there that, without the expense of maintaining dining rooms and restrooms, Chick-Fil-A's profits are way up. I love me a CFA sammitch, but if they regress to a drive-thru-only business model, I have eaten my last one. 

16 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Let me guess, you are a retired engineer? 😆 

Far far from that but I did spend a good portion of the last 30 yrs dealing with people who should follow the two rules for life that I came up with- Just because you can doesn't mean that you should, and Would your mother approve?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the lumber situation that's the worst. The same piece of plywood I had bought last time for $27 is now $66. Plus since I am in California there is an additional 9.5% sales tax.
I need several more sheets of this plywood, but the last time I bought it was something like 9 months ago. For now I will hold off.

Gasoline is susceptible to static charge. and as a result, if the static charge builds high enough, it may cause the usual static spark when it discharges. The static can charge up from the filling process or containers sliding around on trunk lining/carpet or plastic pick up bed liners. It doesn't matter if the container is "approved" plastic or metal cans. 

You should ALWAYS:

- use approved containers, mostly for the proper venting.

- fill container on ground/concrete outside of vehicle, never on car flooring material or pickup bed liner.

- the pump nozzle is grounded to ground off static charge, insert nozzle inside container and always hold the nozzle against filler neck, even with plastic container.

- tie the cans in place so they don't slide around on flooring materials or truck bed to prevent static build up.

Here is what it was like in Paris in the early 1900s.  Street vendors selling unbranded gasoline were common, and the enterprising individuals would try to sell their gas to passing motorists, much like some larger cities have groups of individuals at intersections ready to wash your windows when you stop for a red light.  There was little concern for safety, and few precautions were taken when filling the cars.  It was an interesting time.  Are we destined to repeat this scene?

Terry

Paris street scene 1900.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Here is what it was like in Paris in the early 1900s.  Street vendors selling unbranded gasoline were common, and the enterprising individuals would try to sell their gas to passing motorists, much like some larger cities have groups of individuals at intersections ready to wash your windows when you stop for a red light.  There was little concern for safety, and few precautions were taken when filling the cars.  It was an interesting time.  Are we destined to repeat this scene?

Terry

That is exactly what it was like in 2010 in Sierra Leone. Gas and diesel were sold in 2.5l plastic water bottles. Next to inoperable antique gas pumps. Colors varied significantly.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, rocketraider said:

Like Jack, I usually get two 5 gal cans at a time for the lawn equipment- non-ethanol of course. A 5 gal can of offroad  Diesel for the tractor as needed. 

When I buy fuel in containers though, it always rides in the truck bed.  Also use nothing but containers approved to transport fuel.

I have no desire to be a bomb on wheels! 💣🔥

I too almost only use metal containers for my 5 gal gas & diesel for the equipment. I usually keep one gas & diesel at the house and a set  at the shop. The only container that is plastic fuel approved is for the mixed oil/gas for the weed eater, etc.. and it is a 1 gallon container.

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Are we destined to repeat this scene?

Terry

Good lord I hope not!🙀

A great uncle ran a country store from around 1910 till his 1947 death, and had one of those tall glass gravity feed pumps out front. Those probably weren't the safest either.

His daughter inherited the house and the store building. In 1968, she came out one morning to find the pump gone. Its mounting bolts had been torched from its concrete pad.

Oh I hate those things... fortunately there ARE solutions. I spill more fuel fooling with those than they save with emissions.

Needed a fuel can several years back and bought one as it was all that was available. 

When the first fill was empty it went in the share shed at the local trash collection site. That was before I knew the "solution" was available.

• Like 1