65 Rocker Molding Repair

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Has anyone rebuilt the missing metal from the wallowed/corroded fastener holes on the rocker moldings?  Material is just too thin to build up with JB weld to try and fill in.  JB weld did however work great on filling in the deeper nicks and bumps.  I'm beginning to think my only resort is muggyweld.

Note, I'm not going to rechrome these with metallic chrome, just going to try and refinish them with chrome paint and a clear coat.  Don't need perfection, but want to make them as nice as I can.

Thanks

Clip some thin gauge metal and Rivit

the metal on each side of hole. Drill new hole.  
Clean the ridges with abrasives. Clean where the shadow gray goes. Tape off the ridge with 1/8” wide tape. Put on your color. Put clear coat. You are finished.

turbinator

13 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Clip some thin gauge metal and Rivit

the metal on each side of hole. Drill new hole.  
Clean the ridges with abrasives. Clean where the shadow gray goes. Tape off the ridge with 1/8” wide tape. Put on your color. Put clear coat. You are finished.

I can refinish a rocket pan set or individual pieces of the set. Here is a pic I most recently finished. You want all metal finish no paint? I can refinish and buff out the aluminum to look good, real good.

turbinator

6058D20A-D411-497B-929F-16A31025EE86.jpeg

• Like 2

I plan on putting them mostly back to original except for going with gloss black between the ribs to start with to better match some other things on the white car.  

Are these things actually aluminum or are they pot metal?  Right now I’m messing with the smaller ones that go on either side of the doors as they are small enough to handle and try the finishing process out on.  I don’t feel as bad about riveting the bottoms of the long piece on the bottom side but not on the holes where the smaller panels have the screw heads.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, telriv said:

Those rocker mouldings are Anodized aluminum

Initially the rocker panels we’re anodized, but apparently the ones I find have little or weak color. So, correct paint technique and polymer resin clear coat holds the newly finished look and protects the rocker panel.

33 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

These moldings were originally   charcoal gray in the ribs, not black. The   charcoal gray paint that was used

was the same as the paint on the clamshell covers.  

Winston, isn't the charcoal gray that was used on the clam shell covers and the rocker moldings also the same gray that was used in the web's of the rally wheels?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, CTX-SLPR said: on the holes where the smaller panels have the screw heads.

ok put a washer over the wallowed hole , hold the washer still and put your screw in. Paint any color you like but original paint color was known as Shadow Gray.

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Winston, isn't the charcoal gray that was used on the clam shell covers and the rocker moldings also the same gray that was used in the web's of the rally wheels?

Yes, I believe it is the same paint on all three.

• Like 1

I am restoring a 65 GS now that was originally silver cloud ZZ  code. Upgraded the paint a little to Blade Silver (2014 Corvette) and wanted some contrast in my rockers so did them in black as are the clamshells . Removed all paint with lacquer thinner , polished the ribs , taped them with 1/8 inch tape , primed and painted .  Pretty happy with them considering what I started with. Haven’t done the wheels yet but will probable keep them cast blast gray as Ed mentioned above . Purists may snub their nose but to each his own , huh? 
KReed

ROA 14549

8BAC835F-E748-4837-B4E0-77D483C5883B.jpeg

000E6886-9E22-41AA-B49E-09BC1BFCEAF7.jpeg

C9D7C737-5B9C-4B38-9564-FB601B30CAA8.jpeg

8DE65386-000D-4088-A157-BF0437F84020.jpeg

• Like 4

Ken, I too have a silver 65 Gran Sport. On the back back burner but that gives me a lot of time to think about things, like color and accents.  Right now it has the custom black vinyl in it but I know that I'll be changing that out for the '65 black cloth.  I like the looks of the black in the rocker panels that you pictured.   Got me to thinking of a way to continue my silver and black theme out some more but using all factory stock 65 parts.  I really like Gord Wolfgang's wheels on his black 65; they have the web's painted black and it makes the car look stunning.  My thoughts now are to paint the rockers and clam shells black like yours but carry the black and silver theme a little farther by running a set of the 65 Gran Sport wheel covers rather than the rally wheels. Any thoughts yeah or nay? Steve Kouris has them on his black 1965 Gran sport, you probably saw it in Overland Park in 2018.

93f086601e2c1765de3144ea1f372e3e.jpg.27e269b476b979aace7380f5faefe046.jpg

Edited by RivNut
Spell checked myself. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ken, I too have a silver 65 Gran Sport. On the back back burner but that gives me a lot of time to think about things, like color and accents.  Right now it has the custom black vinyl in it but I know that I'll be changing that out for the '65 black cloth.  I like the looks of the black in the rocker panels that you pictured.   Got me to thinking of a way to continue my silver and black theme out some more but using all factory stock 65 parts.  I really like Gord Wolfgang's wheels on his black 65; they have the web's painted black and it makes the car look stunning.  My thoughts now are to paint the rockers and clam shells black like yours but carry the black and silver theme a little farther by running a set of the 65 Gran Sport wheel covers rather than the rally wheels. Any thoughts yeah or nay? Steve Kouris has them on his black 1965 Gran sport, you probably saw it in Overland Park in 2018.

93f086601e2c1765de3144ea1f372e3e.jpg.27e269b476b979aace7380f5faefe046.jpg

Hi Ed  - those hubcaps would look awesome IMO. I am going to experiment a little with the rally wheel color - either cast gray or black like rockers and headlights. IMO the silver exterior just looks better with the black contrast and I am no means fanatical on complete originality . I do what looks good to me and could care less what the “ judges “ think . After all what do you do with all those trophies when you die? Does anyone think their kids really care? Estate sale ?.. 😎🤣BTW this car I’m doing used to belong to Steve Kouris - he’s been great to deal with . 
KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

I’ll have to give black webs on the rally wheels some thought for my silver 65.  Make sure that you post pictures as you go. Could be a tough decision.  (Maybe not too tough. I have the rally wheels but would have to find the Gran Sport wheel covers.)

Ed

Looking great Ken!  That’s going to be a beautiful car. 

Ed, I was at Steve Lorenzen’s a couple weeks ago, he’s got a set of those GS hub caps on the wall in his basement. Not sure if they’re for sale but you might ask if your interested. 

Brian. 

16 hours ago, 71GS said:

Looking great Ken!  That’s going to be a beautiful car. 

Ed, I was at Steve Lorenzen’s a couple weeks ago, he’s got a set of those GS hub caps on the wall in his basement. Not sure if they’re for sale but you might ask if your interested. 

Brian. 

Thanks, I’ll get in touch with Steve. Hopefully he’s not selling them hoping to pay for a cruise for his entire family.

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

Thanks, I’ll get in touch with Steve. Hopefully he’s not selling them hoping to pay for a cruise for his entire family.

Ed. 🤣 they were nice with rechromed spinners. He’s a great guy. Helped me with a couple things I needed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As all of us do, we look for deals.  I found a set of 1965 Riviera wheel covers here locally and couldn't pass them up for the price (even though I had no use for them.) When I got them home and  to the bottom of the box, the 5th cover was a Gran Sport cover. 

Upon further examination, I noticed how similar they were except for the spinner.  My curiosity got the best of me. I took the center out of one of the covers - some bent over tabs and a couple of spots of adhesive was all that was holding them in.  I have a couple of boxes full of cast aluminum spinners so I dug out a 64 spinner and took it apart.  They will not bolt together as is, but a disc the correct diameter could be fabricated and holes drilled in the right place and the cast spinner can be attached to the base wheel cover.

Which one is the OE Gran Sport cover and which is the base with a 64 cast knock off sitting on it?IMG_20210429_160302295_HDR.jpg.556a88a790efcf4203a59f204f9797b3.jpg

One of them, and I won't say which, has faded paint so don't think that one is painted differently. It's just the lighting and me not cleaning the one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...