Who took over after Lloyd Young died?

pont35cpe

I read on one of the AACA forums that someone bought his overdrive business--someone who had a connection with him, maybe worked for him?  I can't remember the name but you might find it on the AACA general forum, or I might find out at Chickasha on Friday of next week.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

14 hours ago, Laura S said:

Yes Glen did the machine work for Lloyd. I think I have the last overdrive That Lloyd rebuilt before he died . It went in my 1931 Franklin and works beautiful . He was a great guy . 

Lloyd did my `36 Buick coupe shortly before he past. It`s installed, but my car is still not ready, other things keep getting in the way. A friend with a `36 Pontiac is considering the overdrive.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Yup,  Glen picked up from Lloyds timely passing.   He built mine back in 2014 (thru Lloyd) and did my second unit last year.    I believe he has made a few improvements over Lloyds.   As a ME,  I think those were good improvements.    Love my OD on the road.... cruise 65 mph at 2350 rpm all day long.    (38-46s )

Lloyd Young specialized in retrofitting Borg Warner overdrives to many different old cars, including those with torque tubes. Glenn was the machine shop that did most of the work on the modifications required. I had one installed in my 1929 Cadillac and it did make a big difference in cruising comfort. I considered one for the '41 Limited and will likely put an overdrive in the '35 Lincoln. However, the unit I'll use will be a brand new Gear Vendors instead of a used B-W unit with free-wheeling, which always felt dangerous. Glenn can apparently install either unit without any issues and I'll be using him on either or both cars should I decide to install overdrives.