For Sale: 1947 Packard Deluxe Clipper Eight sedan - $14,000 - Austin, TX - Not Mine

For Sale: 1947 Packard Deluxe Clipper Eight sedan - $14,000 - Austin, TX

1947 Packard Deluxe Clipper Eight - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

1947 Packard Deluxe Clipper Eight, straight eight, 3 speed on the tree, very original. No rust. Runs and drives great. Shifts like new. Like new tires. Paint job is old and has its defects and shows its age. (not original paint) All original under carriage and floors original and never cut out or patched. Interior is really nice. all chrome is in great shape.   Need some wiring work. Brake lights not working, or turn signals. Head lights work and running tail lights. $14,000 obo

Copy and paste in your email: f57c006e0149331681b5b423d7ca1d10@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1947 Packard Deluxe Clipper Eight sedan.

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX a.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX b.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX c.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX d.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX e.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX f.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX g.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX h.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX i.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX j.jpg

'47 Packard Deluxe Clipper TX k.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful, but fix the wiring issues and disclose what we know are other issues, for $14,000.  I am thinking that would have the 327 in it, not the 288.  Either one in my opinion, would be a nice touring motor.  Obviously this is yet another one you do not restore.  Only maintain and improve.  But as part of a collection, I think it would be great.  

• Like 3

This is the last year for the 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 282 ci straight eight of the pre-war 120.  The 1948-'54 straight eights are the 3 1/2 bore with either 3 3/4 or 4 1/4 stroke.  Nice, torquey engine to handle a car of this weight.  Interested persons should ask whether it is overdrive equipped which makes it even better.  Wiring issues should be investigated thoroughly to determine how serious before acting.

• Like 2

Beautiful car IMO, but I agree the wiring issue could be an issue. The loom for my tail lights crossed from the drivers side to the passengers side at the "B" pillar to pick up the dome light, so the headliner has to come out to run this from the instrument panel to the tail lights. Might be an easy fix near the trunk. Needs investigation if buying IMO. 

• Like 1

I think it is a Full Classic.  Any 282 owner wants to ensure head and headgasket are in top shape, while I understand a lot of straight 8s see headgasket faillure as the back end of the block, where heat may be more of an issue, when mine failed the Packard guys told me it is fairly common with the 282 blocks.

Steve:

Only the 127: wb 1946-'47 Super Clipper and Custom Super Clipper are CCCA Classics.  The 120" wb Clipper Six and Clipper Deluxe Eights are considered the Junior series.  Be that as it may, these are still a wonderful Packard to drive and enjoy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I think it is a Full Classic. 

Steve, I believe the full classic Packards for 1946-47 were the 2103, 2106 and 2126 models which were the “Custom Super Clippers”. These had the big 356 eight with 9 main bearings. I have a good friend who restored a ‘47 2106.   Great cars!

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Packard held over the nine-main-bearing 356 for the 1948-'50 Custom Eights, their top-of-the-line series.   Although there are some parts interchangeable with the 1948-1954 288-327-359 c.i. straight eight group of engines, the 1940-'50 356 c.i. straight eight is a unique engine in and of itself.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, B Jake Moran said:

I appreciate the 359 series were full classics and I love them but this one is aeful nice, and a 282 ought to provide good touring power and decent mpg. 

Definately.  Ours liked 60 mph and would creep up in speed holding a steady throttle.  Lots left in the tank, I am sure the Clipper would do the same.

With reference to performance, the following will give context

1946-'47 Clipper Deluxe Eight, Touring Sedan: 3,670 lbs., 282 ci, 125 hp @ 3,600 rpm; 230 ft/lbs maximum torque at 2,000 rpm

1946-'47 Clipper Super Touring Sedan: 3,995 lbs, 356 ci, 165 hp @ 3,600 rpm; 292 ft/lbs maximum torque at 2,000 rpm

On 3/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, TerryB said:

I still want it!  Not that it matters much since I can’t drive, but I still want it!  I should look for a model of it.

TerryB, Brooklin models makes a 1/43 Packard Clipper. They are very nice models. John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, suchan said:

I'm surprised this hasn't sold yet.

These are great, good-looking cars, and this one is in nice condition.

I agree, great looking car. IMO maybe the comment regarding wiring work is scaring people off this car. I rewired my car front to back with product from YNZ in California, excellent wiring with instructions a novice could perform. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

I agree, great looking car. IMO maybe the comment regarding wiring work is scaring people off this car. I rewired my car front to back with product from YNZ in California, excellent wiring with instructions a novice could perform. 

I rewired my 1948 Packard with a harness from Rhode Island Wiring. Instructions, diagrams and quality product  made this a relatively simple project. I did however “make like a monkey” to get into some areas to make necessary connections. That was the biggest challenge!  This advertised car would be a nice one to have!

• Like 1