Interior door hardware

64RivieraLife

Does anyone have pictures of what the interior door hardware looks like, im trying to find a kit cause i need to buy for interior doors my interior  is just barely hangong on by a couple , i dont want to remove it cause then i wont have my panels on trying to find a picture and place that sells so i can replace and install

Clarks Corvair as most of the part's you'll need to rebuild a door card.  The card, nail strips, wood kits, etc.

I've not purchased any of those items from them but am very happy with everything else I have bought from Clarks interior wise and am planning on using their stuff when I redo my door panels in the next year or so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Clarks Corvair as most of the part's you'll need to rebuild a door card.  The card, nail strips, wood kits, etc.

I've not purchased any of those items from them but am very happy with everything else I have bought from Clarks interior wise and am planning on using their stuff when I redo my door panels in the next year or so.

Thanks for the tip, its clarks corvair.com?

Better get on it! Clark's is not what it used to be. They have discontinued many of their Riviera parts, & probably aren't restocking items when they sell out. They used to carry everything I need. Unfortunately I put off buying many items, assuming they would be available when needed. One item in particular which really saddened me was the '65 console PRND12 lens, which they used to carry, but are now apparently made from unobtainium. I called them some time ago & they were unable or unwilling to provide me with their source. Sadly all good things eventually come to an end. 

2 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Better get on it! Clark's is not what it used to be. They have discontinued many of their Riviera parts, & probably aren't restocking items when they sell out. They used to carry everything I need. Unfortunately I put off buying many items, assuming they would be available when needed. One item in particular which really saddened me was the '65 console PRND12 lens, which they used to carry, but are now apparently made from unobtainium. I called them some time ago & they were unable or unwilling to provide me with their source. Sadly all good things eventually come to an end. 

Good to know.  I might need to jump on that before I'm doing yet more custom work on the car, this time because parts I had planned on had dried up...

I had Clarks do “everything”  interior for my 63 back in November. They no longer have a source for wood panels, but I was able to get everything else from them. The one thing that I had to send to them was my sun visors, they were the longer ones that they don't have a replacement for and the originals had to be recovered. Another observation was that my carpet and rear window tray colors weren’t available either so they had to be substituted.

Ray

Door Cards, they come raw pressed board and you pull your panels apart for the metal and trim (and maybe upholstry if you're going that far) parts.  Pg 20

Per my cheat sheet printed shopping cart:

63-65 Riviera Door Cardboard (LF or RT)         R188  Pg 20

63-65 Riviera 1/4 Panel Cardboard (LF or RT)  R189  Pg 20

63-65 Nail Strip Set 2-Ft DRS & PASS               R226  Pg 20

They also list assembled door panels on Pg 20 (R238) for a '64 with wood.  Based on what Ray said that might not still be as complete.

37 minutes ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Door Cards, they come raw pressed board and you pull your panels apart for the metal and trim (and maybe upholstry if you're going that far) parts.  Pg 20

Per my cheat sheet printed shopping cart:

63-65 Riviera Door Cardboard (LF or RT)         R188  Pg 20

63-65 Riviera 1/4 Panel Cardboard (LF or RT)  R189  Pg 20

63-65 Nail Strip Set 2-Ft DRS & PASS               R226  Pg 20

They also list assembled door panels on Pg 20 (R238) for a '64 with wood.  Based on what Ray said that might not still be as complete.

Do you if you can order a catalog?

I hope Corvair.com will still do those fiberglass package shelves. I'm not happy with the cheezy flat cardboard deal I reluctantly installed.

For those door panels, best to not disturb. It deteriorates every time hey are removed/handled.

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

I hope Corvair.com will still do those fiberglass package shelves. I'm not happy with the cheezy flat cardboard deal I reluctantly installed.

For those door panels, best to not disturb. It deteriorates every time hey are removed/handled.

They were still doing the trays when I got everything “interior” from them in November. Get extra vinyl if you are going to match the side pieces going between the rear seats and side panels. I’m going to do the panel between both rear seats also.

Shipping was pretty steep, enough that I made a 3 day trip, stopping at BestOfferCounts in PA for parts, Clarks in MA, and then up to Maine for a bunch of lobsters. Still cheaper than having all the parts shipped, other than the lobsters!

Ray

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

"...cheezey flat cardboard..."  Don't tell me that you went shopping at OPGI?  We've been trying to warn you.

No, purchased package shelf from CARS back in 2016

2 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Shipping was pretty steep, enough that I made a 3 day trip, stopping at BestOfferCounts in PA for parts, Clarks in MA, and then up to Maine for a bunch of lobsters. Still cheaper than having all the parts shipped, other than the lobsters!

Clarks' does not do USPS. So, its those Courier Companies with their numerous hardship fees - the culprits.

I like your run up in the NE Ray. In my younger days, I was on a business trip to Boston with contacts in Lynn. I was treated to lunch in an industrial area at the port. Must have missed the rush because the restaurant was deserted. "What's good on the menu here" I asked. The reply, "Lobster Pie"! Wouldn't you know, they brought out a large bowl of fresh lobster drenched in melted butter with bread crumbs on top. Not sure if I could handle that today. What a treat!

17 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I hope Corvair.com will still do those fiberglass package shelves.

John, I actually just sent them an email on Saturday regarding information/pricing on front seat covers and a rear package tray. I'll post once I get a response back.

Later,

On 1/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, XframeFX said:

I hope Corvair.com will still do those fiberglass package shelves.

John, I received the following email today related to the pricing request from Clark's I noted above.^ 

--

The Front seats are $119 per set. 

The rear sears are $90 per set.

Shipping a full set of seats to your Postal Code estimates around $180-$225

The Package area is $365.00 and can be covered in the matching vinyl that the seats are made in. 

Shipping for the package area estimates around $210-$235

Brokerage fees are included in the shipping estimates, but any duties/taxes would be separate and your responsibility for payment.

-

The seats are for my '64 so they're vinyl. They didn't confirm the tray material so I called them this morning, and yes, they are fibreglass. What I forgot to ask was if the $365 included the vinyl cover as their response says, and can be covered in the matching vinyl, didn't say if it's included. The shipping costs (yikes) may force me to re-evaluate my current plans, but if/when I decide to get these parts (and if you're looking at replacing your rear tray) we could potentially look at ordering both together and she thought that we would save a lot on the shipping having two in one box since for these, it's more about dimensions than weight. I mentioned that I would still like to get their vinyl sample for my blue (Trim 621) before I make any purchases, so no big rush either way, I'll keep in touch. Notwithstanding the current $US to $CDN conversion, the shipping costs are killer, what a drag.

Later,

I spent LOTS of time with Mark & Anna from Clarks going on 20 years now. I sent them the proto type package tray to copy. They ALMOST got it right. So I cut the whole metal area out of the back & sent it to them. It's as correct as it can ever be. I know that for a fact.

Also the interior, especially the seats. I gave them the info for the original manufacterer of the foams for ALL the OEM's. GM, Ford, Chrysler & AMC. They are now dealing with these people I turned them onto as the quality far surpassed what they were using from another.

I told them to provide the listing wire that goes into the seats as MANY upholstery shops use coat hanger which DOES NOT hold it's shape.

Tom T.

• Like 2

Mike, my rear package tray is staying 'put' for now. It is at the bottom of my 'big ticket' item list for my Riv. Thanks anyway.

I believe Clark's fiberglass tray includes the cover. It is pricey but worth it. However, shipping quotes sent the total cost over-the-top for me. I went with the cardboard and now wish I paid the $$$.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:43 PM, telriv said:

I spent LOTS of time with Mark & Anna from Clarks going on 20 years now. I sent them the proto type package tray to copy. They ALMOST got it right. So I cut the whole metal area out of the back & sent it to them. It's as correct as it can ever be. I know that for a fact.

Also the interior, especially the seats. I gave them the info for the original manufacterer of the foams for ALL the OEM's. GM, Ford, Chrysler & AMC. They are now dealing with these people I turned them onto as the quality far surpassed what they were using from another.

I told them to provide the listing wire that goes into the seats as MANY upholstery shops use coat hanger which DOES NOT hold it's shape.

Tom T.

Hi All, Just  for 65 owners, I sent them a 65 Standard door skin years ago they said they could not replicate it. I think we are still out on this one. Clarks is a great company and they are local which I am always eager to support.

If there are better seat upholstery kits I would like to know

Regarding the seat bun CUSHIONS: They are "not to the last detail" like clarks upholstery is, they are sourced out. They are at best a good start, they need to be cut/modified to fit. And while some may be naturals at interior work, I am not LOL.. the learning curve is EXPENSIVE$$$$$ 

Here's an original vs the hobby cushion we have offered to us(me) for the restoration hobby below:

The slits in the cushions have to be lined up with the backside of the seat skin. Then the cushions need to be adjusted, modified/cut to size and then cut the  slits through the cushion to begin the hog ring hold downs. Too far off and throw it away, the pieces are not sold separately...It probably took 10 cushion sets to do 3 interiors over the years lol...Glad it's a hobby, hope this is of use to somebody. Steve9236

cushion1.jpg

cushion2.jpg

Edited by gungeey
grammar loopy spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 3:21 PM, gungeey said:

the learning curve is EXPENSIVE$$$$$ 

Expensive in having to re-do or, going ultra slow by researching online between steps. Sometimes get lucky "winging-it", sometimes not. Other times, farming-out just to get the project back on track.

I chose the latter for my '63 leather bucket seats. First, I purchased 3 leather skins, buttons and buns from Corvair.com for considerable $$$. I had purchased the 4th skin years earlier. I then farmed out the 1.5 bucket seats to a local shop that installed that lone skin earlier. More big coin! I had an encounter with their senior upholsterer. Claimed the product was cheap offshore junk. I indicated otherwise. However, the situation turned out good. He got the new skins on. He never complained about those new seat buns. He did indicate the old buns were quality latex, meaning reuse? Turns-out that the Senior upholsterer with the European accent was the one I wanted doing my seats. He was very critical and claimed he could've worked with what I had saving me $$$ on new skins.

Lesson learned: My original 'seasoned' leather skins could have had the vinyl panels replaced and along with spring repair/fresh buttons, all done at my local shop with 1 Invoice! My seats now, although nice, look too new.

Careful with the Driver's seat inboard track. It falls out and those nylon slides fall off!

On 1/21/2021 at 3:21 PM, gungeey said:

like clarks upholstery is, they are sourced out.

The buns AND seat skins are sourced out, really? I had the understanding the seat skins were stitched up in their upholstery shop. I also understood the sewn carpet sets are done in-house and the molded sets are sourced out. Am I correct?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Expensive in having to re-do or, going ultra slow by researching online between steps. Sometimes get lucky "winging-it", sometimes not. Other times, farming-out just to get the project back on track.

I chose the latter for my '63 leather bucket seats. First, I purchased 3 leather skins, buttons and buns from Corvair.com for considerable $$$. I had purchased the 4th skin years earlier. I then farmed out the 1.5 bucket seats to a local shop that installed that lone skin earlier. More big coin! I had an encounter with their senior upholsterer. Claimed the product was cheap offshore junk. I indicated otherwise. However, the situation turned out good. He got the new skins on. He never complained about those new seat buns. He did indicate the old buns were quality latex, meaning reuse? Turns-out that the Senior upholsterer with the European accent was the one I wanted doing my seats. He was very critical and claimed he could've worked with what I had saving me $$$ on new skins.

Lesson learned: My original 'seasoned' leather skins could have had the vinyl panels replaced and along with spring repair/fresh buttons, all done at my local shop with 1 Invoice! My seats now, although nice, look too new.

Careful with the Driver's seat inboard track. It falls out and those nylon slides fall off!

The buns AND seat skins are sourced out, really? I had the understanding the seat skins were stitched up in their upholstery shop. I also understood the sewn carpet sets are done in-house and the molded sets are sourced out. Am I correct?

X,

You read it half right.

They make their own skins. 

They sell buns but don't make them. 

You're experience with your upholsterer with the accent is charming. I sometimes envy people in the car hobby whose minds first inclination when they have a project is to connect with their wallet and are successful at it. It took me a long time to have a basic, solid understanding of 63-65's. The upholstery is hard for me. That's a concept in my hobby: to get better understanding of it.

Hell, I sure do enjoy these vehicles, and I do whatever I want with them! It snowed out last two days. If it gets salt on one today and rusts tomorrow I'll use another one.  I love em but I don't kiss them and rub them, I drive them. Not scared of them breaking, blowing up, using gas or going to fast.

Enjoy your day my friend.

Edited by gungeey
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good day.

So I received the vinyl samples from Clark’s today, (little over a week) and as much as I love my blue interior (Trim 621), it’s times like this I wish I had black, or red, or white where there are no options. They sent three samples to ensure I choose the right colour. My concern is that the sample for what I need- dark blue (HTE) per their chart, doesn’t look blue to me at all. I know it can be difficult to photograph these samples and get the proper white balance with an old iPhone, so they may not show the true colours I see, but the individual ones are pretty close. And I don’t see much blue in the HTE sample which ever way I hold it to the light outside on a nice but cold (-15C) sunny day, in the shade, whatever.

Although I understand that small samples can be misleading, and it’s pretty easy to discount HDE and HLE as being too light of a blue when matched to the seat in the not so great lighting in the garage, but I may reach out back to Clarks with my concern and see if maybe someone grabbed the wrong sample, or maybe if they could send a larger sample of the HTE. I also get that the interior could fade over 50+ years but based solely on the sample, it doesn't look blue to me.

The good news is I'm in no big rush to open up the interior can-o'-worms, it's still very drivable and reasonably presentable as a survivor,  but while I have the means, I'd like to stockpile the parts that I, or more likely my kid's grandchildren may need to restore the interior when the time comes...

If anybody has or has ever ordered for Trim 621 from Clarks, any comments would be appreciated. 

FWIW Link to page 12 of Clarks' catalog;

https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=Riviera&section=Riviera&page=R-12

Later,

EDIT: After looking at the sample from ever which way, I guess I do start to see some hint of blue, (or maybe I'm just hoping to, not sure...) It sure looks a LOT darker than I expected, considering Clarks' catalog indicates their HTE vinyl is "a little lighter" than original. I'll most likely order the package tray in this vinyl before the seats and can go from there.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Edited by MikeJS
Add comment... (see edit history)

Mike, I agree, HTE doesn't appear to be very blue at all. What is on your Cowl Tag, #601, 611 w/cloth or, 621? Black is always nice - #608 and HTE appears close in that regard. For Blue, HLE is it for me.

It might be difficult even with the seats out of the car. But, I've cut a piece of concealed vinyl from my seat and sent it to them for matching. A concealed sample would be un-faded.

Deviating from Blue might be an issue in the long term but it is your car! If you have vinyl/cloth, a custom touch might be a different insert where the cloth should be.

Good day,

Thanks guys, it’s amazing how the eye can be fooled. I know how stupid cameras can be, they’re easily fooled too but they can still be useful.

Now that I tried a different LED lite in the garage but still with the iPhone, the HTE sample is indeed dark blue, and as best that I can tell it actually appears a little lighter than the original. Go figure. I suspect viewing the small dark sample on a bright white piece of paper fooled both man and technology. The former getting easier day by day...

Anyway, either way I still think I’ll go with Plan B and order the package tray first.

Thanks again for the input...

Later,

7FBF3509-ACED-4B92-8656-9C70BF72860D.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 11:14 AM, 64RivieraLife said:

Does anyone have pictures of what the interior door hardware looks like, im trying to find a kit cause i need to buy for interior doors my interior  is just barely hangong on by a couple , i dont want to remove it cause then i wont have my panels on trying to find a picture and place that sells so i can replace and install

Hi I am doing mine as we speak, not too hard, just need to measure the distance between the door card nails, I had to trim the cards down 5mm each side to fit properly

20210206_140218[1].jpg

20210206_140212[1].jpg

20210206_140159[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing with your images. I did not tackle my door panels except for replacing cracked armrests, inner whisker strips at the top, contact cement in places and nailing strip repair.

Not sure what you're doing with the whisker strips. Those sets don't have it right. Thanks to Riviera63 who steered me onto Repops. I was able purchase exact fit for the top of the door panels.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:28 PM, Kevrev said:

Hi I am doing mine as we speak, not too hard, just need to measure the distance between the door card nails, I had to trim the cards down 5mm each side to fit properly

20210206_140218[1].jpg

20210206_140212[1].jpg

20210206_140159[1].jpg

MR.Gs enterprise  has whole interior screw kit for like 60 bucks has e everything, u can also call him to make sure or ask him for other screws individually 

• Like 1