New to the forum

jdj5000

I bought a 64 a couple weeks ago. The owner passed 5 years ago and unfortunately his daughter let it sit with the driver window open. Needless to say I'll be replacing the pans. It was cheap, so I couldn't pass it up. I was pleasantly surprised to find receipts for over 10k in work that was done before it was parked. New heads, rebuilt trans, carb, radiator, alternator, etc. Looking forward to getting some welding hours in. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum JDJ.

Perhaps you could post some pics of your new Riviera?  I'm sure you'll learn a lot from members here.  These are great cars and will give you lots of pleasure over the years.  And, they are quite fixable, although can be a bit complex if you have a lot of options (eg. A/C).  

Not sure if pre-formed patch panels for the floor boards are available, perhaps others can chime in?

Welcome.  Yeah, around here the saying goes "No pics? It didn't happen."  Posting pictures is fairly easy, just other forms of social media.  You have come to the right place as far as knowledge goes.  Eventually, you're probably going to want to find some parts. I would suggest that you join the Riviera Owners Assn (link in my signature.)  You'll receive a bi-monthly magazine, The Riview, in which you'll find pictures, articles, AND a large classified section.  You'll become familiar with the guys who specialize in Riviera parts.  Let us know from which area of they country you live, that helps in making referrals.

Ed

In my opinion the BEST year. I've had mine since 1964.  You'll enjoy the heck out of it as I have done with mine for more than 300K.  To myself they are even faster than a Riv. GS because they are a little lighter. Weight is horsepower!!!!

Tom T.

Thanks guys. I'll take some pics today. She's rough but fixable. I've found most of the sheet metal is available, and I enjoy welding. I only paid $2500 and was pleased to find 10k in receipts for mechanical work. $2200 to have the bumpers chromed also. 

Welcome JDJ5000. I found this forum helpful over the past few years with my project. Wish I joined sooner.

I've done a few rides in my early days but still learning/re-learning with my '63. It was lucky it had me for an Owner. Otherwise . . . .

I've seen too many cars dismantled with good intentions for a full restoration. Many end up being parts cars. Keep yours running!

All of the upholstery is in surprisingly great condition under the dirt and mold. The driver side door panel is warped due to it sitting with the window open, but I'm pretty sure if I get a new panel an upholstery shop could use the existing materials. Next order of business is getting that window up. 

I finally got power. Found that the ignition switch was disconnected. But, the window doesn't move. Have to pull the panel and get in there with a test light. 

26 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Welcome 

U won’t see anything if u take the door panel off. To access the window motor & all the window components u have to take the door skin off. Cool design. Not sure why they didn’t continue this idea 

69142116-3CF1-49CE-BE40-BB770260F4A9.thumb.jpeg.a87139fec3ffafb4ad403a9e4673e452.jpeg

That's something I haven't seen before. Does the door skin bolt on? 

The power for your windows and seats comes from a circuit breaker located behind the kick panel on the driver's side. Big red wire goes from it to the window switches. Before removing the door skin, use a circuit tester to see if you even have power going to the switches.  You can do that by just pulling the switches from the door panel.  No need to do this if even one window works though. 

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The power for your windows and seats comes from a circuit breaker located behind the kick panel on the driver's side. Big red wire goes from it to the window switches. Before removing the door skin, use a circuit tester to see if you even have power going to the switches.  You can do that by just pulling the switches from the door panel.  No need to do this if even one window works though. 

Both drive side work, but neither passenger side do. Thanks for the help. 

If you'll look on ebay, you can find a large laminated COLOR CODED wiring diagram for your 64.  On the back there are separate diagrams for the window. Sounds like a wire has been cut or unplugged going from the master switch to the passenger side switches.  Get that circuit tester and start at the circuit breaker testeping every end of every wire and work your way toward the windows that don't work.

Looks like 64 wildcat wheels. Center in between webbing a grey color? Looks like new seat covers too. One hell of a score. The factory repair manuals are available, and you can get a set on CD on ebay pretty cheap. I used those, and print out the specific pages i'll need while working on something. Saves wear on the 50yr old books.

Yes, jdj5000, I bought my Riv in Largo, pretty close to the Gulf.   Are you in Florida?   BTW, I used the SEM product "Sailcloth" vinyl paint to re-do my seats and door panels, it works great and looks good.  Here's a shot of my back door card, painted with the SEM vinyl paint, and with fresh Wilsonart laminate veneer I just posted about a few days ago.   Fell free to email me at richardreau@hotmail.com with any questions.  You are doing exactly what I started doing almost 2 years ago.

110_0002.JPG

• Like 2