Quick-ratio steering box for my '63 Riv

JanZverina

I just wanted to mention that the 808 QR steering box I recently ordered from from ROA Member Tom Telesco was worth every penny. It was installed late last week, plus a front-end re-alignment to his recommended specs - lots of positive caster! The difference is truly transformative: a nice increased level of steering effort, markedly better straight-ahead tracking, and much, much better response on road curves at (of course) moderate speeds. My alignment tech even said that this was one of the rare properly rebuilt boxes he sees, with new innards and not just the usual 'reseal it and forget it' approach. Kudos to Mr. Telesco. Not sure if some first-gen Rivs (I'm thinking GS models) had a QR box, but you first-gen owners might want to look into this.

• Like 1

The GS Rivs had a faster ratio as an option, BUT it was about 3 1/4 turns lock-lock & had that vague feeling of a stock box. 

The only thing I can say is "try it, you'll like it" & NOBODY can tell it's not stock unless the car is drivin'.

Tom T.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 8:59 PM, chuckfmtexas said:

Just received my new box from Tom and looking forward to getting into my 69 Riv. 

Sir, Tom sent my rebuilt steering box to me 3-4 years ago. The steering box went back in easy enough. I did  have help lifting and guiding the steering box in right. The steering box has been very fine for my car. I like the way the car steers, rides, and responds. Of course, not rack and pinion but sure feels real good. Put on sway bars back and front, new shocks, and all new bushings where required. 
Im sure you’ll like Tom’s steering box.

Turbinator

I wanted to buy a new box but it to look the same as original.

14:1 Box from Classic Performance Products at Placentia, CA.

CPP Item # CP50004 (500 Series)

Very happy with the result.

I think the price is the same now as it was back in 2016 

TomK

img594.jpg

My boxes are for the full size cars ONLY. NOT some adapted smaller A-Body box. The ratio is 12.0-12.5-1 2.5 turns lock-lock, which will vary by the length of the pitman arm.  14.1 ratio is 3+a little lock-lock. The Riv. H-2 opton was 15-1 & approx. 3 1/4 turns lock-lock.  My boxes are exclusively an "808" full size car box as original to look, work & feel just like an original box. 

The prices ar virtually the same & you know your getting the corret steering box.

Tom T.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, telriv said:

My boxes are for the full size cars ONLY. NOT some adapted smaller A-Body box. The ratio is 12.0-12.5-1 2.5 turns lock-lock, which will vary by the length of the pitman arm.  14.1 ratio is 3+a little lock-lock. The Riv. H-2 opton was 15-1 & approx. 3 1/4 turns lock-lock.  My boxes are exclusively an "808" full size car box as original to look, work & feel just like an original box. 

The prices ar virtually the same & you know your getting the corret steering box.

Tom T.

I think i have the H2 option. Cant say for sure but my steering box on my 65gs is 2 3/4  lock to lock.

45 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I think i have the H2 option. Cant say for sure but my steering box on my 65gs is 2 3/4  lock to lock.

In the article on the ROA website entitled "How to ID a Gran Sport" it mentions that although the H2 package was not a part of the Gran Sport option, the H2 option has a 2-1/2  lock to lock.