Project 65 Electra Coupe - Paint

Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

• 2 weeks later...

May be last of the exterior to go together...POWER WINDOWS all working!  This is what started the whole interior coming out- the rear windows would not move...

Next thing ya know the thing is stripped naked and getting some fine looking paint!  Good thing Steve H is working on it vs me...

Time for the headliner and seats.

IMG_0555.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 12:02 AM, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

May be last of the exterior to go together...POWER WINDOWS all working!  This is what started the whole interior coming out- the rear windows would not move...

Isnt this usually the case where one thing leads to another “down the slippery slope”.

2 hours ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

Well fellow admirers of all things Buick, here is the latest from Electra 225 build somewhere in Ohio!

The heater core had taken a cr@p so it is at the recore place.  meanwhile the skirts are on and wheel covers are on...

Hopefully they may be able to repair your original core. My radiator guy told me the original Harrison core in my ‘63 Riviera was really solid and well worth saving rather than use a Chinese replacement. Opted to clean it out as it was blocked quite solidly and fix a small leak rather than replace. After test on higher pressure for several days, said it was good to go. Worth asking the question. 
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much visual evidence of progress, but due to the previous owners dubious engine swap 

I've had Steve sorting out a few mechanical issues.  First test run blew up the water pump...

That was probably the vibration , but futher inspection revealed bad motor mounts, trans mount, 

butchered flex plate, loose bolts.  To the parts bin!

IMG_0576.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Man, had a colony of gremlins living in the ol Electra.  First test around the block a vibration bad enough to warrant investigation.  Flex plate apparently was not tightened

and developed a wobble, water pump bearing wiped out, brake line rust enough to replace, master cyl would not bleed so lots of things to fix in the last month.

Latest ride smooth with new flex plate, H2O pump, new master and brake line.  Lots of lube for the driveshaft too.  Smooth test run, think the gremlins have been put at bay for the moment.

Meanwhile at work... about halfway on our building expansion to add space and 2 more lines.  Regards from SE Indiana :)

IMG_3678.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Steve is done for now and the Electra has returned to Cincinnati.  The interior I took out has to go back, with headliner improvement.

Waiting on Ames to send another package shelf.  Hopefully a good weekend with it will bear 75% of what I need to get done.

Sent the 65 Wildcat super Custom back with Steve for assembly.  It will sport a red interior (those in the know will realize the

Custom Coupe was not originally equipped with red Custom interiors like the convertibles)

New update of old thread may be appropriate?  Cheers!

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3824.jpeg

• Like 11

• 1 year later...

Best Cruise of the year for me is the Spring Grove Cemetery Cruise In.  Brought out the unfinished Electra and enjoyed the show.

My personal connection is this is where the Nagel plot where I will end up is located.  My garage is next to the western wall of the cemetery!

"Established in 1845, Spring Grove has been serving the Cincinnati area for over 175 years.

Designated as a National Historic Landmark, Spring Grove is a hidden gem in the queen city with over 700 acres..."

IMG_07421.jpeg

• Like 9