1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - $34,950 - Kansas City - Not Mine - Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500 - Still Available, Price Reduced to $24,999: November 2021:

1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - $34,950 -  Kansas City - Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500: See New Link Below  Still Available, Price Reduced to $24,999: November 2021:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/kansas-city-1937-chrysler-airflow-17/7185002514.html

Seller has posted extensive description but very small, poor photos.  Contact directly if interested.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Chrysler Airflow sedan.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500 - Still Available, Price Reduced to $24,999: November 2021: (see edit history)

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - $34,950 - Kansas City - Not Mine - Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500 

Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500 

1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - $27,500 (Kansas City)

1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

She is what the industry calls a ‘survivor’, nearly 100% original. In 1958, a Chrysler dealer purchased her from a local doctor and his mechanics lovingly doted on her until we purchased her in 2011. Her original owners manual is still in the glove compartment, along with her service records neatly recorded on index cards throughout the 1940’s.

After driving for a few years, we had an Airflow legend (Phil Putman) completely overhaul the entire drivetrain and every mechanical component. She (Flo) is 99%+ original and could easily cruise across country right now at the speed limit, averaging 17-19 MPG.

Built between 1934 and 1937, the Chrysler Airflow was revolutionary and led the way for future automotive design. The unibody construction, streamlined body, top-quality mechanics, and Art Deco styling made them unlike anything else on the road at the time. It utilizes design cues a full 10-15 years ahead of the industry. During the Depression years of the 1930's, however, the Airflows were so ahead of the time that few were sold. Today, they are regarded as one of the landmarks in automotive design history.

Flo is totally unmolested and her mechanical work was completed gracefully, thoroughly, and gently by patient hands with many, many decades of Airflow experience. She’s won numerous First Place awards at car shows, including from the prestigious Airflow Car Club of America (12 awards).

Her recent work includes the following:
Complete engine rebuild
Carburetor rebuild
Rebuilt starter
Generator rebuild
Water pump rebuild
Radiator rebuild (complete with new core)
New brakes, wheel cylinders and master cylinder
New motor mounts
New speedometer cable
New exhaust system
New windows and window seals
Rebuilt gauges
Rebuilt windshield washer motors
Gas tank boiled and relined with fuel lines replaced
Completely new wiring harness
New tires and tubes (Coker 750 R16)
New marine grade plywood floor
New date-matched carpeting (matched to same mill from 1937)
New Optima battery and new heavy duty battery cables
New coil
New plugs, plug wires
New distributor, cap, points, rotor, etc.
New rear axles and all axle seals
Rebuilt clutch
New tie rod ends

Additions:
seat belts (6)
electric fuel pump (mechanical still in place and also rebuilt)
turn signals and flashers

Extras
Airflow Club of America newsletters (9 years)
Boxes and boxes of Airflow parts and misc. odds and ends
Custom made California Car Cover.

Copy and paste in your email:  8365a8b63fa0311c81597b1e68aa488d@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by 58L-Y8
Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1937 Chrysler Airflow C-17 - $34,950 - Kansas City - Not Mine - Relisted, A year later, Price: $27,500 - Still Available, Price Reduced to $24,999: November 2021:
5 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've wanted one of these for the longest time but can I really justify another late pre-war rounded black 4-door sedan in my collection?

Matt, in the bicycle world the correct number of bikes is always N + 1, where N is the current number you own.  Seems like that rule can just as easily apply to pre-war rounded black 4 door sedans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've wanted one of these for the longest time but can I really justify another late pre-war rounded black 4-door sedan in my collection?

Depends upon how those other late pre-war rounded black 4-door sedans compare to an Airflow...

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Get rid of that dodgy Ford you have and upgrade to an Airflow.

On my wish list too...😀

I have always had a soft spot for the Airflow, but I would prefer to find a '34 model before the original design was totally watered down to make it look more conventional.  By '37, they had added not only a more conventional "prow," but also a bustle trunk.  More practical, for sure, but not the radical experiment they had started out with.  On the other hand, this one seems to be very well sorted, and the revised price certainly seems reasonable for what you are getting.

(One odd thing in the description: "Rebuilt windshield washer motors."  I'm pretty sure that Chrysler did not provide motorized windshield washers in 1937.  Also, the pics show the car without wipers!)

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

I have always had a soft spot for the Airflow, but I would prefer to find a '34 model before the original design was totally watered down to make it look more conventional.  By '37, they had added not only a more conventional "prow," but also a bustle trunk.  More practical, for sure, but not the radical experiment they had started out with.  On the other hand, this one seems to be very well sorted, and the revised price certainly seems reasonable for what you are getting.

(One odd thing in the description: "Rebuilt windshield washer motors."  I'm pretty sure that Chrysler did not provide motorized windshield washers in 1937.  Also, the pics show the car without wipers!)

I agree with the exterior styling of the '34 and after that it lost all of it's airflow mystic but the 36/37 dashboard is pure art deco heaven.