Ron’s 1928 DB Senior Phaeton

Mattml430

I’ve been a bit slack on posting Ronny’s progress so here’s a couple of updates. 

C5500BCE-4EB7-457D-AB05-03ECFCA046CE.jpeg.f269b5f080a82dff6a381543fc5faab2.jpeg

The rear seat base is well on the way still have to sew the back corners and trim the excess off the seams

C8D9A38D-862A-404C-B1CE-2BBB89284098.jpeg.dd51952950b6ee4faa577a1c93fe16b0.jpeg

Finally got the indercators wired up They should be bright enough I think. 
6A98DCF4-9A1A-448A-A749-1BA3D600F86C.jpeg.f83b6e518ce467fb5ab5ad13d0370473.jpeg

A very Dodgy brother at the 

Bunbury Museum 😂🤣

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I’ve been a bit slack on posting Ronny’s progress so here’s a couple of updates. 

C5500BCE-4EB7-457D-AB05-03ECFCA046CE.jpeg.f269b5f080a82dff6a381543fc5faab2.jpeg

The rear seat base is well on the way still have to sew the back corners and trim the excess off the seams

C8D9A38D-862A-404C-B1CE-2BBB89284098.jpeg.dd51952950b6ee4faa577a1c93fe16b0.jpeg

Finally got the indercators wired up They should be bright enough I think. 
6A98DCF4-9A1A-448A-A749-1BA3D600F86C.jpeg.f83b6e518ce467fb5ab5ad13d0370473.jpeg

A very Dodgy brother at the 

Bunbury Museum 😂🤣

I will drink to that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello to all of my Dodgey friends Sorry I have no progress photos but progress is being made I have finished the rear seat base. Got rid of that ugly corner on the left front and I have cut and sewn in one end of the back part of the seat Hopefully I will finish it next week It's hard only having access to the sewing machine and Johns help and advice for about 6 hours each week but beggars can't be choosers We are making progress 

Today I stripped and wired up the signal flasher switch I have restored a switch from a 1963 Bedford truck. I like this particular switch as they self cancel and they have a warning light built in I have used cotton covered plastic insulated wire as well Should have that finished tomorrow if all is well 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Forwarding on a bit of Ron’s progress. 
Great to hear your back down the shed mate dodging kangaroo 🦘 on the way. 
2685F4B8-408E-4C71-B10C-ED7D3AD3492E.jpeg.444f8ebc0892a283ba8b4e253a8c4d1e.jpeg

Progress stopped for a few days as I.
was hospitalised with a chest infection Had a number of tests done and an X-ray then I was given a prescription for antibiotics and sent home and told to rest I must admit I had to or I would run out of puff Today is the first day in over a week that I have come down to do a bit on the car   Not a lot but I took outy originally installed battery charging plug and fitted a dust proof cover Looks much nicer than a grey Anderson plug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nearchoclatetown said:

You guys better take care of yourselves. Our news makes it sound like things are bad down under. Maybe you need to come up above the equator for a while? We are having a big car show in two Weeks, that would clear your lungs.

Ain't got Covid Doug My lungs are shot from an infection 16 years ago The bug that sat me on my backside then is called Legionella virus Almost killed me but thanks to a great Doctor I am still here to give you guys "Aussie" English lessons and to be the screw Detective 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Ron, maybe some chocolate flavored air would do your lungs good. You are welcome too as long as you guys bring an interpreter so we can talk. I'll find the beer. We don't have roos but do have vicious venison. This little bugger still has spots, way too late. She eats from the bird feeders ever night watching me eat my dinner. 

20210801_163520.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Well Ron, maybe some chocolate flavored air would do your lungs good. You are welcome too as long as you guys bring an interpreter so we can talk. I'll find the beer. We don't have roos but do have vicious venison. This little bugger still has spots, way too late. She eats from the bird feeders ever night watching me eat my dinner. 

20210801_163520.jpg

Gee Doug you only have animals that steal from you My kangaroos form a guard of honor for me as i walk to the shed Rather privileged don't you think  

On 9/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, Ron Lawson said:

I like this particular switch as they self cancel and they have a warning light built in I have used cotton covered plastic insulated wire as well 

Ron, does that mean Matt won't have to follow you for 400 miles with your left turn signal on? I thought that was a badge of honor for us geezers? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Ron, does that mean Matt won't have to follow you for 400 miles with your left turn signal on? I thought that was a badge of honor for us geezers? 

No way Doug The switch that I fitted is self canceling I know that it would be me for sure so I have avoided that embarrassment

• Like 1

That won’t happen Doug because the Victory six sports roadster would be in front of Ron’s Senior, so he will be following me looking at my turn signal flashing for 400miles. 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ron sent me an update on his upholstery work today. 
Your doing a great job mate for someone who has never done sewing before. I found it very challenging. 
D111191D-6FF0-40B1-88B0-54D9064C629C.jpeg.51a643adc5bfc569590184058ad4cff5.jpeg

The base of the front seat is  finished  Next to tackle the backrest I will have to load the car up amd take it to School with me as this part of the seat is integral with the body 

• Like 3

Ron’s taking orders for tool bags also. 😂🤣

Hes gonna kill me for putting that there. 
Pretty cheap I thought for $200USD👍😂

2F64B2D3-04D1-48AF-8066-94712741ABE8.jpeg.0f4002ce65d2449cadbd12c6f32ad41a.jpeg

Finished the front seat base so decided to make up a tool roll to put my DB tools in Still have to edge the canvas and sew on a belt and buckle 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

Ron sent me a pic of his tool roll he’s made up. Looks fantastic mate. 
C9B37CE7-F037-4EFC-B329-92D7CEA44127.jpeg.eeb4ce37563a44f007ee5e87c82fb289.jpeg

The tool roll for the Senior I will have to make another small one to put the hub puller the tyre pump and a few extras in

Looks fantastic Ron

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting, mine didn’t look like it ever had hood mounts (there was no evidence of old holes in the tub).  The few other 128/129s I’ve seen haven’t had them.  I wonder if they were an optional fit or perhaps Holden didn’t fit them but other body makers did?

certainly seem like a good idea to keep the hood firm when it is down.

12 hours ago, RichBad said:

Interesting, mine didn’t look like it ever had hood mounts (there was no evidence of old holes in the tub).  The few other 128/129s I’ve seen haven’t had them.  I wonder if they were an optional fit or perhaps Holden didn’t fit them but other body makers did?

certainly seem like a good idea to keep the hood firm when it is down.

There are no holes in my tub either The mounting bar for the brackets comes over the top of the tub 

Richard none of the 128/9 and Standard Six  that I have seen have ever had top rest fitted , 124 s many have them fitted through the body, dont know about Victory Six , never payed any attention to them . I should have some pics of other Senior Six tourers some where ,see what I can find . Bob

• Like 1

Hello Ron and Matt

As a couple of fellows that are obviously very proud of your achievements, and have done an exceptional job of your vehicles, my question to you and others is "how in the hell "do you keep them clean and in showroom condition and go on runs as well. The reason I ask is with 2 Dodge 8s, and 3 white Vw's, they always seem to be dirty.

The Jetta was washed a week ago, done about 20kms, and now needs another clean, I don't seem to remember my first cars in the 70's needing washing so often,  my drive is concrete, no dirt to speak of in the yard.

Do you think it may be all the heavy transport on the roads these days,since they have got rid of the railways around the country, all country roads have B doubles carting everything, could it be residue from these monsters on the roads.

It just not dust settling on the cars it black stuff sticking on the paint,(perhaps brake dust, diesel particles, tyre particles) and if you dont wash them every week it can be hard to get off.I know someone will say thats what you get for having white cars, but my Dodge is grey/black, and my new one is to be yellow with Grey swages.

Initally I thought it may be something I was doing with the restorations, but I haven't been in the shed for 4 months with a knee replacement, and they are still getting filthy

Any thoughts on the problem

Kevin BC

• Like 1

If you apply plenty (lots and lots and lots) of coats of polish the road grime is easily hosed off. Mine is acrylic.

A good chamois leather will remove the water droplets leaving a nice shine.

Or you have a really good two pack paint job done.

Same result, a hose down and chamois.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin bc said:

Hello Ron and Matt

As a couple of fellows that are obviously very proud of your achievements, and have done an exceptional job of your vehicles, my question to you and others is "how in the hell "do you keep them clean and in showroom condition and go on runs as well. The reason I ask is with 2 Dodge 8s, and 3 white Vw's, they always seem to be dirty.

The Jetta was washed a week ago, done about 20kms, and now needs another clean, I don't seem to remember my first cars in the 70's needing washing so often,  my drive is concrete, no dirt to speak of in the yard.

Do you think it may be all the heavy transport on the roads these days,since they have got rid of the railways around the country, all country roads have B doubles carting everything, could it be residue from these monsters on the roads.

It just not dust settling on the cars it black stuff sticking on the paint,(perhaps brake dust, diesel particles, tyre particles) and if you dont wash them every week it can be hard to get off.I know someone will say thats what you get for having white cars, but my Dodge is grey/black, and my new one is to be yellow with Grey swages.

Initally I thought it may be something I was doing with the restorations, but I haven't been in the shed for 4 months with a knee replacement, and they are still getting filthy

Any thoughts on the problem

Kevin BC

Everything thing that you mentioned is the exact reason why our cars are always dirty. I’m probably ridiculously annul with car cleaning. I wash our daily drives probably twice a week and the Dodges get washed every time they go out. The dodges stay covered up when not being used but

with my garage about 15m from the dirt road we live on they get dusty even under the covers. I normally have to give them a quick hose and chamois before they head out. 
As Nigel said a good quality wax after a polish is the best way to keep them clean. I try wax my cars every 6 months at least. There is no secret that’s  for sure it’s just lots of washing with good quality products and the less you can touch them with rags and sponges the better. I know that sounds  contradictory of what j just said but a touch less wash is good if you can get away with it. 
I pressure clean the car first to get any  loose grime off and then use a snow gun and let it sit on there for 5 minutes as long as it doesn’t dry. For road grime I use a micro fibre sponge. 
Then pressure clean it all off and use my petrol blower to dry it all. To finish it of I spray a fine mist of spray polish before rubbing it all down with a micro fibre showroom cloth. They are a really thick and softer cloth than your average microfibre cloth. 
All sounds a bit over the top I know but that’s how I keep them looking nice. I seriously hate having my cars dirty inside and out. 😂

To be honest I have really only taught myself how to wash a car properly in the last 12 months where as before they always ended up with fine washing scratches on them. 
I use separate clothes for each part of the car. 7-8 different ones in all. 

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Matt

What do you use to cover your cars, I have a cover for the Dodge but am a bit reluctant to use it after seeing a lot of negatives about car covers  scratching the paint work . I have thought of making a frame out of curtain rod type poles, and the wife is happy to sew up  cotton sheets to hang over the frame, which should keep the majority of gremlins off the car, and one would just have to throw the rear up on the top to back the car out,what are your thoughts on this method of protection.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin bc said:

Matt

What do you use to cover your cars, I have a cover for the Dodge but am a bit reluctant to use it after seeing a lot of negatives about car covers  scratching the paint work . I have thought of making a frame out of curtain rod type poles, and the wife is happy to sew up  cotton sheets to hang over the frame, which should keep the majority of gremlins off the car, and one would just have to throw the rear up on the top to back the car out,what are your thoughts on this method of protection.

Kevin

I use the autotrchnica covers. I bought mid size suv covers for them. I have re sewn the sedan cover to fit a bit tighter and I’m half way through sewing the roadster cover but haven’t finished it yet. The under side of these are almost like a flannelete type material it definitely wouldn’t scratch them and hasn’t scratch my cars. The only issue I have with them is they do let the dust through. 

2D81B520-95D0-42A8-B6BE-E474D0FB4509.jpeg

2D545C4F-C7D5-4364-B7B8-C7CFCAFFC124.jpeg

1F183244-4E4B-4CE0-B694-6BF5D3E32840.jpeg
I like the idea of having poles over it. Would be perfect if you have the room to do that. 

A thought for a frame for your cover is poly water pipe.

Real cheap, easy to assemble, I used it on my vegetable garden with some success.

53323841-D561-48F8-9D97-1B16335ECC2A.jpeg.a3602b2c5e63355a08babe2c2d9118e0.jpeg

The white piping is the part that would suit just make a rectangular frame garage style using elbows and tee pieces and lengths of pipe and then use cheap tarpaulins to cover.

I have two covers, one is a soft cotton dust cover and one is a waterproof tarp material to use overnight during rallies.

When travelling I have tonneau covers.