Man reunited with the XK120 he bought new in 1952

1935Packard

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

what is nice about the FHC is the woodwork inside.  They always looked a bit high in the greenhouse to me but I would be happy to take one too.

Poked around on Google and the difference between Roadster & Coupe prices is really something. If you keep the hood closed the one with a GMC seamed like a good deal. 

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

what is nice about the FHC is the woodwork inside.  They always looked a bit high in the greenhouse to me but I would be happy to take one too.

I go back and forth between wanting the OTS for the style and the DHC for the woodwork.  Right now I'm on an OTS kick.  My wife loves the style of the FHC, but I didn't move to California to have a roof over my head on the road if it can be avoided.  

• Like 2

Drove my 140 DHC as my only vehicle for more than a year in the 1960's and it was actually very reliable. Xks drive a bit like dump trucks 'til you get them up to cruising speed but nothing beats the sound of that OHV 6 or the sight of their counter rotating oversize tach and speedo waving their arms. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Drove my 140 DHC as my only vehicle for more than a year in the 1960's and it was actually very reliable. Xks drive a bit like dump trucks 'til you get them up to cruising speed but nothing beats the sound of that OHV 6 or the sight of their counter rotating oversize tach and speedo waving their arms. 

My mom drove her 140MC every day during the summer for 20 years.   Never had a single issue.  I insisted on the bias ply tires (short circuiting my dad's need for wide whites) which run bumpy for the first 10 minutes.   It also runs warm but has never overheated.    10 years ago my dad went to repaint and upholster it again and I told him to get the heritage certificate first which of course he did AFTER he did the work.   It came back as an original Black on Red car.   Probably just as well as my mom would have insisted on keeping the blue and I would have lost my mind.

IMG_6942.thumb.JPG.6bfa5e6dd7a9c0f349796c6ddf53a841.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My main car in college was a white XK-150s (gold head, triple carbs) roadster with O/D. Would just eat up the miles from NC to Florida & could drop a few gears to pass on a TLB.

Suspect people today in the Interstate era do not understand the importance of 50-70 in the 60s when being able to pull out and pass Right Now was important. Being able to drop 2 or 3 gears to do it was just fun.

• Like 1

Padgett, I remember well travelling to FLA in my youth. At that time I95 was not finished in GA, and maybe some other parts too. One would be diverted to the small 2 lane traffic, and yes I remember mom screaming as pop hit the passing gear in the old Pontiac wagon.

An image that is seared into my mind, it was near Christmas, snowing, on Rt 81 in Syracuse NY, maybe 1968?, an XK120 pulled up beside me, no top, the guy looked like Ghengis Khan driving with shaved head and mustaches flowing, wearing a lambskin vest, exposed arms as big as my leg were bright red from the freezing cold, both hands on that huge steering wheel.  He was heading somewhere with mighty purpose, I like to think Florida was his destination, it was obvious he had been on the road for a good while.

• Like 1

I remember taking the SSP north but ended at Ft. Pierce. From there to Long Island was mostly two lane. 7" Lucas PL headlamps and some of the first Cibie halogens in the US. I like to drive 1/4-1/2 mile ahead of where I am. Remember coming into Brumswich GA on US 17 in the wee-wee hours of the morning, following a Greyhound bus at over 80 mph. Always had 6.00x16 Dunlop RS-5s and felt comfortable up to the ton.