Bill Harmatuk 1930 Chrysler CJ-6

Donna, I am sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I would hope someone in the area would be willing or able to help you on this. Some knowledge of the CJ Chrysler series would help, but if he was good about marking and bagging parts, photos of the disassembly and had collected some data then the job will not be so daunting. Are you looking to finish to honor Bill or find a new home for the car? Best wishes and again my condolences for the loss of your life partner.

• Like 1

Bill was meticulous in tagging and bagging for this car. He actually took photos of the original parts ( with instructions)  he had probably with anticipation that he himself might not finish it. At first I wanted the car finished for his grandchildren however I would be happy for it to have a Good home to someone who would complete the project. That is what Bill would want. I can send photos to any interested parties. 

• 1 month later...

My family is heartbroken that we can’t find anyone to finish Bills car.its been 4 months and we are in a small town in eastern NC.  He carried this car to every home we had over the last 38 years and between family obligations and $$ he put it on the back burner. He had just built a 50x60 shop and was finally able to finish it when he got sick. All we want is to honor his wishes and to find someone who loves old cars and the eta they represent to finish his dream. 

Donna, thank you for sharing and reaching out to us. God bless you for even having the stamina to deal with this, we are all so sorry for your loss and our hearts go out to you and your family.  

Most of us would love to see the CJ-6 find a good home. It would be an honor to own, but a lot of us are not in the position for another purchase with everything going on currently. However, someone from that part of the country will show interest if we keep the post active. It may take quite a bit of time but I trust someone will have an interest if there is enough exposure. 

• Like 1

Firstly Condolences for your loss,

Unfortunately I'm here in Australia but I would haved loved to bring that car back to life for you.

Have you considered contacting a Chrysler Restorers Club in the US? members of our clubs over here volunteer to help finish off unfinished project like Bill's.

I have looked  up on the web and found this:

Carolina Chrysler Club

6435 Goodman Lake Road,
Salisbury, NC  28146
Kevin Gilland, President 
704-636-5427
OR 
Chrysler Product Restorers Club 
Carolina Chrysler Club,
575 Paulowina Drive, 
China Grove, NC 28023. Cheryl Marsh.

Maybe some there might be willing to help finish Bill's second Love , Good Luck.

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear about Bill. I have been watching Bills post about his car. I too have a 1930 Chrysler that I’ve been restoring. They are almost identical. I just retired in May and then diagnosed with cancer. Luckily mine was found early and will make a full recovery and then back to work in the shop. I would have loved to do both of these cars side by side but I am in Utah. The shop is pretty full (69 Camaro SS/RS, 1940 Ford, several classic bikes) but I would have squeezed it in. Unfortunately these cars aren’t worth a lot finished. More a labor of love. It would be a little spendy for transporting to Utah for me. I hope you can find a good home for it. They are hard to find. Let me know if I can help at all and good luck. Maybe someone has an open spot on their transport coming this way.

• Like 1

Chrysler30.  Thank you for your response, glad to know someone is out there that remembers Bill and his passion for this car.  My goal is to get this car to someone who would restore it in the manner he would have.  Over the years he has collected duplicates of the wooden wheel spokes, radiator caps (sterling wings), and the body has been totally primed.  He left detailed instructions on where he was at with everything as if he knew he wouldn't be able to finish it, has a whole file on the car.  Small town in Eastern NC  no one here is equipped or has the knowledge to do this car correctly. 

Where are you in Utah and what would your interest be if we could find someone to transport for us?  It is important to me to find someone to finish the car, not about the value when finished, but about the accomplishment. Bill loved that car and I want to see his dream come true and have a photo of it finished to pass on to his two toddler grandsons so they can remember how passionate he was about it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I am wondering what that panel is in the last picture. On the running board with the electrical cord on it.

Shows in the forth photo as well.

Looks like a 1920's-30's windshield defroster. I think I see suction cups on the opposite side.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently restoring a 1932 Dodge Brothers sedan which is very similar to this car, so I know what is involved in finishing the restoration.  Is it your wish to have the car restored and then returned to the family, or for someone to buy the car and then restore it?  If I didn't have my own project, I would give this some serious thought.  Unfortunately, project cars of this type seem to be languishing in many garages around the country.  The cost of the restoration would be far more than the car is worth, so it would have to be a labor of love as I'm sure it was with Bill.  In my case, my car was the first car I ever owned - the actual car - so it has been a true labor of love for me.  It's a sad fact that few people would take on the task and finish the car.  I know what I have spent on paint, upholstery materials, parts, mechanical restoration, tires and many small parts and fasteners.  Getting Bill's Chrysler up to snuff would be a major project, both in time and money.  I did the work on my car myself and saved a few bucks, but I still had to spread things out over time to manage the cost.  I've been working on it for five years and still have a way to go.  I wish I had a simple answer to your dilemma, but I fear there isn't one.  If you do find someone, feel free to have them contact me with any questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

My car in its current state.

W7.thumb.jpg.3e9d3ed52bc96145b580929c8b8348ca.jpg

IMG_0372.thumb.jpg.de5e66c17a47c1a590b3143540cbf860.jpg

I am looking to “gift” Bills Chrysler to the person who will promise to finish it in the manner he wanted it done. Bill spent a lifetime collecting the authentic parts (and duplicates), so all that is left is the restoration. 

All I ask is that when finished I can take his two grand baby boys Luke and Jack to sit it in and get a photo for their memories. And you are right this is a project of love for that car and the care it has received through the years.   

Donna Harmatuk

• Like 1

Donna,

I am so sorry for your loss.

Please be patient; it might take you a while to find the right person, but I am confident that someone will be able to step up and carry out your wishes.

That's a big project and it is not easy to take on someone else's project, but it certainly looks like Bill had everything well organized.

Was Bill a member of any local or regional chapters of the AACA or Chrysler National club?

Local membership lists might be a great place to look for kindred spirits.

Joe Tonietto

• 2 weeks later...

Refreshing this topic again about Bill Harmatuk's CJ 6 1930 Chrysler that was in the middle of restoration when he passed away suddenly in May.  I now have detailed photos of everything he collected (duplicates and triplicates) of many items.  This photo collection are too many and file is too large for this forum however if you will drop your email here I can send you the Zip drive.

My goal remains is to put this car in good capable hands that will finish what Bill started with the promise I get to fly my grandchildren to the finished product one day for a photo op in "papa's" old car.  Bill was super picky about this car and I want to find someone who gets that and wants to restore in the manner in which he would have wanted.

That person I am sure is out there, help me find them...

Donna Harmatuk

252-670-6595

T1%wu9ycQVuHcHdfFV3UoQ.jpg

t+JPylePQwmRfGKn1FDqtg.jpg

IMG_7537.JPG

fullsizeoutput_866e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_866c.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...