The Holy Grail!

Seafoam65

For several years, I had been trying to put together an extremely nice set of factory wire wheel covers for my 65 Riviera. My car has

nice factory chrome wheels with whitewall radials mounted, but I wanted to mount up the correct bias plies on painted rims with wire wheel covers for when I show the car at the Buick Club National point judging so I don't lose any points on the tires. For a long time I bought used ones that looked nice in the pictures but were all beat up and pitted in real life. This year my luck turned and  I found 1 NOS one for 250.00. Then another NOS in the box turned up for 200.00. Last month 2 NOS in the box wheel

covers showed up for 200.00 for the pair! I now have 4 perfect nos wire wheel covers for a lot less money than I spent buying crappy used ones that I was assured looked

very nice when they did not! The weird thing is that for five years I never could find even one NOS one for sale.....perhaps the virus is causing people to sell their stashes to make ends meet?

• Like 7

Or maybe they are just cleaning out the stuff they no longer need.

I know I have lots of parts I will never use or need,  it is just getting organized, taking the pictures and

putting them on some sales site.

I have a set of NOS Chevy 14" wire wheel covers that someone could use..... I'm not selling the NOS

Corvair/Nova 13" wires.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

For several years, I had been trying to put together an extremely nice set of factory wire wheel covers for my 65 Riviera. My car has

nice factory chrome wheels with whitewall radials mounted, but I wanted to mount up the correct bias plies on painted rims with wire wheel covers for when I show the car at the Buick Club National point judging so I don't lose any points on the tires. For a long time I bought used ones that looked nice in the pictures but were all beat up and pitted in real life. This year my luck turned and  I found 1 NOS one for 250.00. Then another NOS in the box turned up for 200.00. Last month 2 NOS in the box wheel

covers showed up for 200.00 for the pair! I now have 4 perfect nos wire wheel covers for a lot less money than I spent buying crappy used ones that I was assured looked

very nice when they did not! The weird thing is that for five years I never could find even one NOS one for sale.....perhaps the virus is causing people to sell their stashes to make ends meet?

Great find!

No doubt a better price than we had talked about a while back.

Congrats!

Nice find! You literally bought the last two about 2 minutes before I was going to buy them. I was so disappointed at the time. But somehow by an amazing stoke of luck 4 NOS (still in the box!) showed up on ebay the very next day. And this time I didn't hesitate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buickneem said:

Now I just have to find some steel wheels for these to go on. Anyone know of a good source for some steel wheels? And what's the factory correct size for a 65 Riviera?

All Buick wheels fitted to a full sized body will be the same.  There are no specific Riviera wheels.  They are 15 x 6 with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and have a lip around the center hole. The wheels from 1965 through 1970 +/- are the same.  The < 65   wheels have a larger center hole and there is no lip around the center whole.  There may be some 5.5" wide wheels out there but originally they came with a smaller tire.  Buick wheels have a bump between each bolt hole. That bump is there to make room for the rivet that holds the brake drum to the hub.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of what Sandy did to your wheel covers DrownedRiv. Hopefully the rest of your Riv was unscathed. Saltwater washed off immediately should cause minimal damage? Keeping a car outside, you take a chance with the elements. Keeping it inside, there's fire. I don't believe in car lifts or even jack stands. A 30 lb fire extinguisher in the corner of the garage and wheels that are ready to roll on my project. I even have fire & theft on my project. Not much good without an appraisal, but I have it.

Thanks for posting those images. Good to see you and Winston lucked-out!

I have a set for my '63 that appears identical except for the Tri-Shield centers. They have been in my basement for 40 years. So, even though they are not NOS, 3 appear perfect to me! The 4th? Well, have to remove it from the wheel to notice blemishes.

I too am challenged for steel wheels. I have 2 each 15X6 and 2 of the 15X5.5 wheels

John B.

I have always been watching for a set of NOS wheels for my '64 Riviera, not aggressively, but they have never turned up. The wire wheel covers have been my favorite so if I reach a point where I can't get four straight original rims I would probably put the wheel covers on a set of these and have some choice in width:

usw-70-2412.jpg?rep=True

• Haha 1