Is there a modern replacement for the 57 A5 AC compressor?

Smartin

Pretty sure the answer is NO..........

More than the plumbing/hoses having different fittings,  the compressor mount would need to be changed or fabricated.

I suspect others have changed to modern compressors so the information is out there somewhere.

Are the 57 A5s bolted together and hence rebuildable?  The 58/59 (and on up to?...) are sealed and not rebuildable.  Except I hear a place in Florida can do it for many $$$s.  Also, I know that the 58/59s don't bolt to the 57 brackets.  Sorry just sharing this random knowledge trying to get a compressor in my 58 with a hanger AC.

57 Buick used compressor 5910224 as did 57 Cad and Chev; 56-57 Olds, Pontiac.  I would guess that one has the bolted-on rear cylinder head and can be re-sealed (if it were a 55 , I could help with all seals).  Find an extra one and take it apart and figure it out from there.

If the clutch is not fully engaging, what do the friction surfaces look like?  Of course, they should BOTH be smooth, not with high spots and such, as in little nubs where metal has transferred from one to the other.  I suspect that "engage" voltage is adequate?  The air gap between the clutch facings should also be "in spec".  

Replacing just one side of the clutch (the front half) will not work well, from my own experiences of doing such.  The factory service manual said to engage the clutch about 30 times for them to "wear-in".  Looked like the 4th of July with all of the metallic sparks flying!  They never did seat well.  The rear half is part of the pulley.  Ended up getting a reman compressor as the pulley and clutch were about the same price as the complete reman compressor.

Denso has an A-6 bolt-in replacement compressor, aluminum-bodied, that is a close copy visually.  Used to be about $300.00 a few years ago.  Might be an option if the brackets can be worked out?

The Sandens have about 16 different "backs" for them.  ONE of which is the factory GM A-6 style, rather than the "bug antennae" one which seems to be on most of them.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The compressor decides when it wants to run right.  There are times when it will run 100% on as it should, and then the next time you run it, you can watch the clutch WANT to catch, but it only spins 1/4 turn and stops...then keeps turning slightly every second.  Like every one RPM it catches a little and stops.  I'll be sure to check electrical connections before blowing it apart.

Have you considered a bad switch on the dashboard? Happened in my 69. I think prior owners would turn the fan on and then switch to ac mode causing an arcing at that point of the selector. I was able to take the selector switch apart, clean the contacts, and it has worked ever since.  Now I will select ac first then energize the system with the fan switch.

28 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I would believe voltage at the clutch to engage when on is low. Question is, why sporadic low voltage if that is the issue?

A poorly grounded circuit would explain this.  Run a jumper wire from the frame of the compressor to the negative terminal of the battery.  Then try.  Then, if the problem persists, the problem could be the switch,  or the connection to that switch, or the fuse block connection, or maybe the chassis ground wire is missing between the engine and the firewall.

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...