It’s coming to Cali !

arnulfo de l.a.

Just read on yahoo news that In 2024 Cali is Going to require all big trucks and  vans be electric powered. The outlaw of internal combustion engines has started much sooner than I thought it would.So to those of you members such as myself , that live in this beautiful state ,I suggest you drive your rivieras  as much as you can 2024 is right around the corner. It won’t be long after that some kind of regulations will be implemented affecting our cars .The world is changing fast men!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Just read on yahoo news that In 2024 Cali is Going to require all big trucks and  vans be electric powered. The outlaw of internal combustion engines has started much sooner than I thought it would.So to those of you members such as myself , that live in this beautiful state ,I suggest you drive your rivieras  as much as you can 2024 is right around the corner. It won’t be long after that some kind of regulations will be implemented affecting our cars .The world is changing fast men!

I suggest you move to someplace sane.

BTW, the decision was that a percentage of medium- and heavy-duty  trucks sold in California need to be zero-emission vehicles.  That's not the same as requiring all trucks in use be zero-emission.  The effects will be three-fold:

- California truck sales will plummet as companies buy their trucks out of state.

- In-state truck dealers will jack up the prices of diesel trucks to make zero-emission more attractive.

- Consumer prices in California will rise to reflect the increased shipping costs caused by this mandate.

• Like 1

The oil companies are in business to make money.

More zero emissions vehicles mean less fossil fuels.

Less fossil fuels mean less profits.

Less profits mean higher prices for the fossil fuels produced.

Emissions will effect the old car hobby in YOUR wallet.

Less money in tour wallet will effect your car.

• Thanks 1

Makes you wonder what the California legislators plan to do to make up for lost tax revenues which are used to pay for road maintenance.  Here in Kansas the former Governor "borrowed" money from KDOT to fund some other programs.  State, Federal, and Interstate roads got bad and are getting worse and there are no funds to fix them. How much worse will they get if more people opt for E-vehicles and don't pay those taxes for highway maintenance?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Makes you wonder what the California legislators plan to do to make up for lost tax revenues which are used to pay for road maintenance.  Here in Kansas the former Governor "borrowed" money from KDOT to fund some other programs.  State, Federal, and Interstate roads got bad and are getting worse and there are no funds to fix them. How much worse will they get if more people opt for E-vehicles and don't pay those taxes for highway maintenance?

I am pretty certain that politicians all over the world will find new ways of taxing E-vehicles. They are sort of good in that area. Spending is another story.

• Like 1

Out here in the People's Republic, they're talking about adding a surcharge to your electric bill to cover potential decreases in gas tax revenue.  That would be everybody's electric bill, whether you drive an EV or not.

Seems that if one wants to correlate highway maintenance with miles driven (which seems to be more accurate than a correlation with fuel used or a nonsensical gas guzzler tax), add a mileage surcharge to the annual registration fee.  New plates entail an odometer check and a little basic math.  California gas tax is $.36/gallon.  If you get 25 MPG, you're paying a little over 1.4 cents per mile.  If you drove 10,000 miles in a year, you paid $144 in state tax.  So, figure out an appropriate rate (i.e. MPG equivalent) and apply it.  Say you equate an EV to 36 MPG.  That makes it a penny per mile.  Drove 10,000 miles last year?  Add $100 to the registration fee.  Bingo.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I suggest you move to someplace sane.

BTW, the decision was that a percentage of medium- and heavy-duty  trucks sold in California need to be zero-emission vehicles.  That's not the same as requiring all trucks in use be zero-emission.  The effects will be three-fold:

- California truck sales will plummet as companies buy their trucks out of state.

- In-state truck dealers will jack up the prices of diesel trucks to make zero-emission more attractive.

- Consumer prices in California will rise to reflect the increased shipping costs caused by this mandate.

I love it here .will NEVER move . I can adapt to not having an internal combustion engine driven car. Also I'm willing to bet someone will start selling kits to convert internal combustion to electric for our old cars. Besides I figure I got maybe 20-25 yrs left of driving life. Been driving since I was 15 and I'm 64 now. I had my fun. If I had to give it up tomorrow it wouldn't take me long to get over it. I hardly drive much anymore as it is especially with this coved 19 mess we are in. 

• Like 2

I have heard of a usage tax. They track your mileage at registration renewal. Makes your joyride a little more costly. Why not, just one more way to track people and sell that info so we get more unwanted solicitations. But hey, they know what's good for us and, its for the good of the people comrad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I can adapt to not having an internal combustion engine driven car. Also I'm willing to bet someone will start selling kits to convert internal combustion to electric for our old cars.

And I'm willing to bet that hardly anyone will buy one.  What would be the point?

The internal combustion engine will be around until something else displaces it as the most efficient, most reliable, and most economical choice.  When that happens, we will move on to that different technology.  It has ever been thus.

If that happens it looks like I will be removing my speed-o & resetting the mileage as nec.

At 74 I STILL enjoy taking my cars for rides. Short long whatever.   I'm still into racing whether it be my car or flogging someone else's.  I've driven as fast in the quarter mile in the 8's at over 150MPH. It gets the adrenaline & blood to flow within the body which can be a good thing. I also enjoy track racing doing curves & other things.

For me anyway.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I read it differently.  Here is a link to an article in the LA Times:  https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-06-25/new-california-truck-mandate-100-000-zero-emission-commercial-haulers-sold-annually-by-2030.

It says the following:  "In effect, the board ordered manufacturers of medium-duty and heavy-duty commercial trucks to begin selling zero-emission versions in 2024, with 100,000 sold in California by 2030 and 300,000 by 2035."  

It appears to apply only to heavy and medium duty trucks, so that seems to leave pickup trucks out of it for the most part (I think those are light duty trucks).  Manufacturers only need to 'begin' to sell them by 2024.  With 100k by the end of the decade.  I interpret the 100k to be cumulatively sold rather than a per year value.  Again, this is only in the state of California. 

Edited by Eric's.64.Superwildcat
I accidentally hit submit before completing my post. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Are we really going to do this?

Are we really going to pull some Fox News-level fear-mongering bullplop?

What do large commercial-grade trucks have to do with our Rivs? 

And since when have any regulations when it comes to mileage, emissions or even safety have not grandfathered-in vehicles from a previous era?

Fear mongering? The thought of new zero emissions regulations on trucks/vans does not strike the slightest amount of fear in my heart.  It’s not that the trucks / vans have anything to do with our cars. It’s the regulations that are being imposed on them that i think will affect our cars. You know , the preverbial “ slippery slope” . 

• Like 1

the internal combustion engine has been perfected and is now almost a zero emissions powerplant that as previously stated is the most efficient. (WAY more efficient that any electric will ever be). I also predict that it will be around for a long long time.

on a side note, my young son was driving his carburated MGB two days ago in the heat, and upon parking it and coming out of the store, could not get it started, and called me.  He wanted starting fluid!   I told him simply to put his foot to the floor and turn the key. MAGICALLY the car started!     I told him that yesteryear, we guys would be in a parking lot on a hot day and help many women start their cars, flooded, and the poor ladies stranded. Made many men heros.   Fuel injection and the modern engine has ended all of that.  

Our real heros, our Dads, have now all passed away.   I honor your memory  Bill Guarnere and the Band of Brothers

• Like 1

I hope you are right! Just curios as to what you consider a long long time? I see other factors that will make are cars become cost prohibitive to drive in the near future. It was touched upon in one of the earlier posts. With electric cars becoming more and more popular I think that there will come a point in time where the demand for gas will be so low that everything from oil drilling to refinerys will start shutting down due to profit losses. In Cali if you have solar and an electric car, you can drive for practically nothing. While internal combustion engines have been perfected as you stated, battery technology is also improving. I can't say with any certainty whether one is more efficient than the other but I do know that the new generation of drivers are really into electric cars , Teslas mainly. So there's that , once the boomers age to the point where we can't drive anymore this antique car hobby is going to fade into the sunset.i see that happening already

• Like 1

NEVER HAPPEN!!!   At least over my DEAD BODY!!!!   Hopefully I have at least another 15 or so years as I'm 74 now.

For my two boys this is what they live for.  Following in Dad's footprints so to say. 

For them, just like me, racing is in their blood. ANY KIND of motor sports just like the OLE MAN.

Their friend's are ALL gearheads, cars, motorcyles, blah, blah, blah.

Must have something to do with the amount of carbon monoxide in our blood. LOL   LOL

My son's schedule is booked to Jan./Feb of 2022.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Over your dead body? Come on now ,its not that serious ! Change happens and there is no stopping it. I NEVER thought there would be driverless vehicles on the road  especially  big semi trucks.They are out there already albeit in the testing phases. Now i never say never lol. I understand your passion for something you share with your two boys, i have that same passion , old cars and old harleys. Unfortunately my boys had no interest in my old cars,bikes. Still got hope that maybe my soon to be born great grandson will but that’s a long shot. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As electric vehicles become more efficient and affordable, there will be a natural transition that consumers make to them. At this point it's mainly about improving the cost and efficiency of the batteries. Expect VW to have a big impact in this regard with their coming I.D. line of vehicles. Reduced demand for gasoline can also have the effect of lowering the price of gasoline. Eventually, California will impose other forms of transit tax so electric vehicles help to pay for roads. I don't see this as a sign of impending regulation upon historic vehicles.

It does not take a genius to figure out that electric will not take over everywhere.   Even in large cities, how will they handle the charging stations?

replace the parking meters with charge cables?    Parking garages with outlets for every space?   Maybe they can put a huge charging coil around each level of the garage.

Now talk to residents of the west (California is too far west)  will a rancher be able to buy a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive electric truck to haul his cattle? 

Will a 15 year old electric vehicle be as reliable as a 15 year old gas powered vehicle?   What about spare parts,  I have a 7 year old Garmin and they no longer

have replacement parts...... my chip is obsolete. ...will this be the case with electric vehicles?

On 7/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, Barney Eaton said:

It does not take a genius to figure out that electric will not take over everywhere.   Even in large cities, how will they handle the charging stations?

replace the parking meters with charge cables?    Parking garages with outlets for every space?   Maybe they can put a huge charging coil around each level of the garage.

Now talk to residents of the west (California is too far west)  will a rancher be able to buy a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive electric truck to haul his cattle? 

Will a 15 year old electric vehicle be as reliable as a 15 year old gas powered vehicle?   What about spare parts,  I have a 7 year old Garmin and they no longer

have replacement parts...... my chip is obsolete. ...will this be the case with electric vehicles?

I truly hope you realize that engineers have thought about, and are looking into all those things, right?

Just last week Toyota said they were working on a battery with a full recharge time of 15 minutes and a life cycle that would keep 80% of its life after 30 years.  30 years!

Tesla has been researching similar things such as their million cycle batteries.  Mind you, that isn't a million miles.  That is a million recharge cycles.  These are batteries that will outlive you or I.  Tesla is also moving their goalposts in terms of what they consider a minimum driving range is and that is around 300 miles minimum.  Just a few years ago 200 miles was considered pretty good.

GM is ready to release their new Ultium technology batteries which have many advanced features such as long life and faster recharge times.  GMC's upcoming Hummer EV trucks will probably be directly aimed at a market that previously might never have considered going electric.

The world is changing whether people want to admit it, or even embrace it yet or not.  No, it won't happen overnight and it is technology that will fit into some people's lives faster than others, but the last thing we need is some of the out-and-out misinformation that I keep seeing online about it.