Using LED turn signal lamps with a 6 volt system?

cjmarzoli

Has anyone tried installing LED turn signal lamps (or any other 12v LED lamps) on an old 6v car?   Planning on adding turn signals to my 1931 Buick.  I know you can buy flashers for LED lamps.  If run on 6v, will a LED lamp setup for 12v not work at all, be dimmer, or perform exactly the same as on 12v power?   This is an example of a lamp I am considering.  Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083W4X2QB/?coliid=I1KC8OVA58FV8D&colid=388H5YTS794KF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by cjmarzoli (see edit history)

You should read this discussion:

It looks like the particular LED turn signal bulb that Matt Harwood recommended (and that I am using in my 1937 Century and my 1938 Century) has been discontinued but they have a recommended replacement on the SuperBrightLED website. The recommended replacement is https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-bulb/2625/

• Like 2

Bloo,

I initially did not do much searching beyond seeing what they recommended as a replacement for the discontinued ones that I am using. I agree that it appears to be 12 volt which makes little sense for them to recommend it as a replacement for a 6 volt LED. Probably would be worth contacting them and asking for clarification, but their products have been really good in my experience. If you do a search for 6 volt on their website, it will recommend a different LED that also looks like it is listed as a 12 volt one. I love their products, but their website has always been a bit difficult to deal with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cjmarzoli said:

Has anyone tried installing LED turn signal lamps (or any other 12v LED lamps) on an old 6v car?   Planning on adding turn signals to my 1931 Buick.  I know you can buy flashers for LED lamps.  If run on 6v, will a LED lamp setup for 12v not work at all, be dimmer, or perform exactly the same as on 12v power?   This is an example of a lamp I am considering.  Thanks!

I've had a number of flashers fail that were designed (supposedly) for 6v positive ground LED, the quality seems really poor for them.  We bench tested one of our spares and they're pretty forgiving on voltage so you might find they work

The LED turn signals for most motorcycles require negative ground. The circuit inside is generally potted and very difficult to modify.

Unfortunately it will be a gamble as to whether the particular type you want will work. Maybe try contacting the manufacturer first.

• 1 month later...

I bought a full set of LED lamps for my 6-volt, positive ground, 1937-vintage automobile from Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions in England: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php and have been generally happy with the results.  My single taillight lamps are dual "filament" so the brighter "filament" shares both brake and turn signal duties.  I did use the LED flasher unit sold by this company, and the flashing rate is very regular. 

I ordered dual "filament" taillight bulbs, license plate light, instrument lights, fender lamps (used for turnsignals) and headlights (which feature the "American Pre-Focus" 3-hole mounting flange as original). 

It's possible that some American suppliers may sell the same LED lamps (thus making shipping a bit less expensive) but since a friend had ordered from this company, I did the same.

You can address questions to the owner, "Peter", at info@dynamoregulatorconversions.com 

I used ELE457  LED bulbs from Restoration supply in the rear lights on my 1939 LaSalle.  Since this car did not come with turn signals, I repurposed a pair of period correct fog lamps using incandescent bulbs in the front.  This allowed me to use a standard turn signal relay without adding additional resistors. Car is positive ground and these lights are made for that polarity.  I also added a brake lighter in the rear (https://www.brakelighter.com/).  I am really pleased with the results and can start looking out my windows again versus focusing on the people behind me.

Scott

Don't buy your LEDs off Amazon or eBay. In addition to the Super Bright LEDs site, I've been using https://www.ledlight.com as well, which seems to have a slightly larger selection. I eventually found dash lights there that work quite well, plus the green LEDs for my turn signal indicators. If you use all LEDs for turn signals, you may get "hyperflash" which is the signal flashing much too fast. They sell resistors that will slow it down--I have a pair for Melanie's wagon, but I have not installed them yet simply because it's such a pain to get into the taillight housing. But on most cars it's not a big deal and cures the problem.

1 hour ago, Stude Light said:

I also added a brake lighter in the rear (https://www.brakelighter.com/).  I am really pleased with the results and can start looking out my windows again versus focusing on the people behind me.

X2 on the Brakelighter. Installed one in the Limited a few weeks ago and I can see a noticeable difference in the way people approach from behind when I'm slowing down. A very welcome safety upgrade that should be up there with, "How can I add seat belts to my old car?" Do this first.

6-15-20-10.thumb.jpg.9d2b88ca9f4ec4ff37e5c45d137f4c4b.jpg

• Like 1

I converted nearly all the lamps in my 53 Buick Special to 6 volt LEDS     The flashers sold for LED turn signal lamps function on some cars but not all.   See the June 2020 issue of the Buick Bugle for my two page article on the conversion I did.  I also give the names of some suppliers and the numbers on the replacement lamps I used.   Overall I am very happy with this conversion as the LEDS give more light with much lower current draw.  The only incandescent lamps in my car are the sealed beam headlamps and the front park/turn signal 1154 bulbs that allow the flasher to function without adding resistors.   I designed and bench tested a three transistor flasher that I plan to install to allow me to replace the front 1154 bulbs with LEDS.  

Joe, BCA 33493. 

• Like 1