1939 Buick Roadmaster Sport Phaeton Model 81-C

I had a car that looked like that one time, nicknamed Pickle.....I sure hope, too, that's it's just bad lighting or pavement reflection....and it appears that some of the closeups don't show that waviness, so maybe is reflection?

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I think it's just that photo. Here's another:

1939_buick_roadmaster_phaeton_convertibl

They certainly aren't great photos, but I don't see glaring evidence of it being a bondo job. I think the restoration is probably 30 years old and my money is on the car not being nearly as nice as it looks, but on the other hand it's a senior Buick, a Full Classic, and a relatively rare body style. Awesome tour car. I'd pay $25K for that car all day long. I bet it'll bid into the low-$30s and be a no-sale. Bring-A-Nitpicker isn't the right venue for a car like that. They don't know what it is or what to do with it. I do agree with one of the posters that it needs red wheels to really pop--I bet that would add some value, too. The engine bay is a mess, but cleaning that up isn't a huge project and would likewise add value.

I'd buy that car right now, no questions asked, for $25K.

• Like 3

The seller will not give a reasonable response or photos per exhaust manifold-

claims prior owner was a mechanic, so “must” be fine-

then ignores additional questions-

and video drive by is at extreme low speed in 3rd gear with no acceleration 

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think it's just that photo. Here's another:

1939_buick_roadmaster_phaeton_convertibl

They certainly aren't great photos, but I don't see glaring evidence of it being a bondo job. I think the restoration is probably 30 years old and my money is on the car not being nearly as nice as it looks, but on the other hand it's a senior Buick, a Full Classic, and a relatively rare body style. Awesome tour car. I'd pay $25K for that car all day long. I bet it'll bid into the low-$30s and be a no-sale. Bring-A-Nitpicker isn't the right venue for a car like that. They don't know what it is or what to do with it. I do agree with one of the posters that it needs red wheels to really pop--I bet that would add some value, too. The engine bay is a mess, but cleaning that up isn't a huge project and would likewise add value.

I'd buy that car right now, no questions asked, for $25K.

In one picture the driver side rear wheel well and lower portion also has the wavey bondo look.  To my eye it really does not look right.  The body looks like bondo.

1939_buick_roadmaster_phaeton_convertible_81c_15881278728e8543b60a419aIMG_1981-155x105.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

It's funny half the pictures make the body look pretty crappy and the other half make it look pretty good.  The one picture of the front wheel well,  leads me to think it's more of the not so nice side.  I will say it has a nice top and interior.  that alone is worth 10 grand.  if you can live with it the way it is and be happy then would be a reasonable buy.  If that body work is going to haunt you,  I would suggest passing. 

Cars usually photograph better than they are in person.  Some of those pictures shed a bad light on the car and some look okay.  I would not buy it based on those pictures; I would either go see it or have it inspected!  In my book if you cannot have an 80 year old car verified in person you're really taking a risk!   

• Like 2

Buicks are great cars, have strong club support nationally as well as in regions and chapters. The Buicks with the 320 cu in  engine are fine fine road cars. Matt and I can both attest to that ! I have a 1940 Roadmaster conv sedan and absolutely love that car which has not had a major restoration . If you like this car, spend the $ and have it looked at in person.

• Like 2

I would have rolled the dice at that price. Even if there's some questionable work in the body, if it hasn't failed by now it's not going to. Driver-grade it is, so drive the hell out of it, and it could easily be taken up a notch or two with a very deep cleaning and an engine bay detail to add real value. A rare Full Classic convertible with lots of power is a great car to own. My own '41 Limited is no nicer and probably worse underneath, yet I grin every time the engine starts. Isn't that the right reason to own an old car?

If I weren't bidding on another car on that site right now, I probably would have been in on the Buick. But, of course, the problem is that once I start spending time with it, I'm not going to want to give it up. That's always a risk...