Nash, Franklin, Packard or Lincoln

ericmac

So the subject may be broad but I am after a special car. My first two choices would be a '29 Franklin, especially an open car or a '48 Nash Ambassador Convertible, coupe or a slipstream sedan. Failing that, I would think about an open Lincoln,  up to a '48 or a Packard of the same era. What have you?

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)

Eric, since those cars can vary in price quite a bit,

you might want to indicate the top amount you've

set aside to spend.  $25,000?  $150,000?  The cars

in your category could  easily fall within that range.

Also, what type of condition?  And are you willing

to go half-way across the country for the right car?

You probably know that a 1929 car will have

driving characteristics far different from a 1948 car.

People here may offer well-tailored suggestions

if they know more.  All the best to you in your search!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm leaning towards John on this.     Maybe best to think about what you are going to do with it and narrow the range down a bit more?   At least narrow the era.

Btw,   why 29 Franklin,  vs 30-32?

The more close you get to the end of the Franklin run the faster the cars are, but the more rare the cars are too - 29 it a pretty good year for Franklin in both production volume and just enough power that you can be pretty happy with one - my two cents.  In open Franklin's, my best bets are 29 - S135, 30 - S145, and 31 - S151 Convertible Coupe's (Roadster's, Touring's, and Sport Touring's are pretty difficult to find and things like Pursuits and Pirates even more scarce).  Also, a number of 1928 Convertible Coupe's out there.  The rare beasts are such as 1931 - S153 and 1932 - S152 Convertible Coupes.  I believe Franklin's are the flip of many other manufacturer's - the Sedans were lesser priced than the Convertibles (aka why the convertibles are pretty scarce to begin with).

• Like 1

My thinking on a '29 Franklin is shallow perhaps, but to my eye they are the best looking Franklin. The '48 Nash is a car I have some experience with from an ownership perspective.  A 40-48 Lincoln is a car I might actually be able to afford as I have seen several over the past couple years that I would certainly be interested in owning now. Some of the earlier Model L Lincolns would interest me also.

In short I am wondering what is out there.

As to price,  that's a good question.  At this point I really can't go over 50K no matter what I do, but ideally would like to stay under 35K ideally.  I feel like many really good cars have passed by me over the years but you can't buy until you have money...and now I have some.

Already I have heard from a couple people who have really intriguing cars. Many thanks to all of you who have replied. 

Eric 

50k today will buy you much better cars than the ones on your list.......turnkey. If your not comfortable hire a consultant.......one who knows what they are doing. There are not many. If you like, PM me your phone number, I’m happy to help via email and phone. I’ll charge you the same as I did for Auburnseeker, AJ, and the others....a drink at the next show we are both at.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, ericmac said:

I have had several very interesting cars presented to me. If all works out as it should, I think I have my car.

Eric:  Any exciting news to report in the last month?

Let us know the rest of the story;  and when you get

the car, be sure to include some pictures!  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

How about this Packard,48 I think, been in our family since 1965, All original, hasn't run in a couple years so carb is off for rebuilding. I would like to sell in the range of 20K but that may be like the the guy in hell who wanted a glass of ice water. Car is located in McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania.

Always open for discussion. Thanks John Kelso

DSC05640.JPG

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05646.JPG

DSC05642.JPG

DSC05652.JPG

DSC05647.JPG

On 6/22/2020 at 8:00 PM, dan1 said:

How about a one of a kind 1942 Packard Clipper Convertible?

Left.jpg

By the way, I thought this was a pretty neat custom (Packard really never made this perhaps other than a few if not just one prototype), but the problem is that the current owner does not know much about the build - if it is sitting on a 42 Clipper Frame as they believe then they need to know what was done to the frame to "beef it up" to keep the car from flexing.  What people do not realize is that the clipper was a more base model car before the war and it became the whole line of Packard after the war, but they are pretty "tin - y" cars and there was a reason why there was no convertible in the line-up = and that reason was that the frames could not support such.  So if the frame is not strong enough (which it may be or it may not be) it is a whole lot of build and money that possibly needs more attention. 

• 3 weeks later...

I never want to say I have something finished until its parked in my garage.  While I am still wanting a Franklin, this car was too good to pass up. It's a 1937 Cadillac 70 series Fleetwood convertible sedan.  It turns free but doesn't run yet. No brakes either.  While the restoration is probably 50-60 years old the car remains very presentable.  Likely I will have to do everything that has been done on the magnificent '36 Airflow convertible posted in the general discussion portion of this forum,  I think I have a great start. 

69378.jpeg

00B0B_gPjRdsHyb7z_0kE0fu_600x450 (1).jpg

• Like 8

On 7/31/2020 at 2:01 PM, ericmac said:

I never want to say I have something finished until its parked in my garage.  While I am still wanting a Franklin, this car was too good to pass up. It's a 1937 Cadillac 70 series Fleetwood convertible sedan.  It turns free but doesn't run yet. No brakes either.  While the restoration is probably 50-60 years old the car remains very presentable.  Likely I will have to do everything that has been done on the magnificent '36 Airflow convertible posted in the general discussion portion of this forum,  I think I have a great start. 

69378.jpeg

00B0B_gPjRdsHyb7z_0kE0fu_600x450 (1).jpg

Beautiful car. Well done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...