1939 Chrysler Royal - Illinois - Not Mine

For Sale on Craigslist: 1939 Chrysler Royal in Springfield, Illinois  -  $4,800  -  Call 217-522-5495

Link:  https://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/d/springfield-1939-chrysler-royal/7100606842.html

Seller's Description:

1939 Chrysler Royal 

• condition: fair 
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders 
  • fuel: gas 
  • title status: clean 
  • transmission: manual 

For Sale $4,800
1939 Chrysler Royal.

• All original
  • 56343 miles on speedometer 
  • 4 doors suicide doors 
  • Flat head 6 cylinder 3 on the tree, runs and drives. 6 volt system 
  • Original owners manual and parts book
  • Clear title in hand

Located in Springfield Illinois 
217-522-5495

Phone calls preferred 

image.thumb.png.58d38544f439c5c35ea8635593f8cc31.png

image.thumb.png.1f3be6bdabab00c8c4ddca3a6bbcb1e7.png

image.thumb.png.b8d5a0af9f378d06ac5adb1cc9230d58.png

image.thumb.png.13b2f20855e327e0984890992601e348.png

image.thumb.png.acf92b1942a73241ee77d19d897d1c3d.png

image.thumb.png.fd681628efffb187253996ff08f0a5cb.png

image.thumb.png.cde50cef1d825e793ff1b7632adba46e.png

image.thumb.png.86a4edb243a0c1f209140c05e945d463.png

image.thumb.png.cfaf72683ed24030d603f4f2f17b8783.png

image.thumb.png.015d15b0de072fb5803147c9192d2b1e.png

Just spent an hour on the phone with the owner, looks like it will be heading this way shortly. Really nice older gentlemen who saved the car from his son hotrodding it.  A very much original and unmolested car and yes, it has over drive.  I think I can have a lot of fun with this.

• Like 5

I talked to both he and his wife and they were fed up with all the low ball offers and no shows and were basically screening all the calls until "they got a feel" from somebody.  Maybe I got lucky and said the right things in my message as he called me right back. They don't have to sell it but it is taking up room in the garage he wants for something else. The way he explained it the nose of the car sat semi exposed in a garage to the elements blowing in when he found it hence the weird surface rusting on the nose and not so much towards the rear.  Good conversion and he had the right answer to things. Seemed really appreciative I was willing to ask all the questions and let him talk about the car. That it was going to an old car guy. But he made it clear he did not want it hotrodded.  His son wanted to pull the body, throw under a dakota frame, modernize everything. To solid of an original car for that he said.  Just what I like.  Glad we could make a deal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Taylormade said:

If you need any help picking it up or taking more pictures, let me know - I’m just down the road from the car.

Well thank you very much !  let me send you a PM.  We might have to talk a little as well about what carb your running in your 32 Dodge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I talked to both he and his wife and they were fed up with all the low ball offers and no shows and were basically screening all the calls until "they got a feel" from somebody.  Maybe I got lucky and said the right things in my message as he called me right back. They don't have to sell it but it is taking up room in the garage he wants for something else. The way he explained it the nose of the car sat semi exposed in a garage to the elements blowing in when he found it hence the weird surface rusting on the nose and not so much towards the rear.  Good conversion and he had the right answer to things. Seemed really appreciative I was willing to ask all the questions and let him talk about the car. That it was going to an old car guy. But he made it clear he did not want it hotrodded.  His son wanted to pull the body, throw under a dakota frame, modernize everything. To solid of an original car for that he said.  Just what I like.  Glad we could make a deal. 

Congratulations ! i hope you will have a good car and you will be happy with your buy .I looked at the pictures and i see the wheel in the trunk ..is that a normal position for the wheel .Maybe its because there is no humpback trunk , i don't like the humpback trunk models if i may say so .

• Like 1

My grandfather (mother's father) drove one of these cars throughout the War until 1949 when he bought a new Kaiser.  He worked at the Torpedo Plant in Alexandria, VA and which was about 40 miles from where he lived in Fairfax, VA.  Along the way each day he would pick up his carpool of Government Girls and bring them home after work.  I was a little kid, but mostly I remember the cracked up glovebox door.  Since becoming an old car guy nearly 60 years ago I've always liked a '39 Chrysler, but never found one to buy.  Also, over hundreds of car shows since 1962 I've only seen a handful of '39 Chryslers, I think because of the dash.  Anyway, I wrote an article about this model for ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE about 1998.  Have great luck with and enjoyment out of your new old car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

My grandfather (mother's father) drove one of these cars throughout the War until 1949 when he bought a new Kaiser.  He worked at the Torpedo Plant in Alexandria, VA and which was about 40 miles from where he lived in Fairfax, VA.  Along the way each day he would pick up his carpool of Government Girls and bring them home after work.  I was a little kid, but mostly I remember the cracked up glovebox door.  Since becoming an old car guy nearly 60 years ago I've always liked a '39 Chrysler, but never found one to buy.  Also, over hundreds of car shows since 1962 I've only seen a handful of '39 Chryslers, I think because of the dash.  Anyway, I wrote an article about this model for ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE about 1998.  Have great luck with and enjoyment out of your new old car.

@Dynaflash8 any chance you could post the article?

5 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

Congratulations ! i hope you will have a good car and you will be happy with your buy .I looked at the pictures and i see the wheel in the trunk ..is that a normal position for the wheel .Maybe its because there is no humpback trunk , i don't like the humpback trunk models if i may say so .

See the spare tire clamp in this attached picture.    It’s easier to see as a light colored cover has been added over the spare.  The dented air cleaner housing needs fixed, though. 

7CAC279A-6420-4130-9C81-3B16034A59B3.jpeg

• Like 1

@Brooklyn Beer

Congratulations, I think you'll really like this car - especially with how smooth the engine will be, and with the overdrive it can be driven comfortably in modern traffic.Hopefully we'll see you register for the 2020 Glidden Tour in Saratoga Springs, NY this coming September, or at least the AACA Divisional Tour in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (closed to your home). I plan to drive both of them and look forward to meeting you.

• Like 1

Thanks Marty.  I have to ask just what are the differences in a Chrysler flat six over a Dodge six from this time?  I have a few more mopar flat 6's in the car barn.  The more I read about this year Chrysler it seems to come back as a special year. Wish it was a NY'er but maybe in the future I can find one. 

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

with no manual here as of yet, how was the overdrive enabled ?

Here’s a link to an electronic copy of the owners manual and an imagine is attached:  http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1939/39Owners/Page12.htm

While it’s the imperial site, the manuals cover your car, so you might be very interested in the following 1939 literature page that has much of what was available:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1939/index.htm

BTW:  shop manuals for 1939 were a supplement to 1938, so you probably want both, if you carry it with you in the car.

D0E29666-C318-49FE-8A68-F7CF2C5F537F.jpeg

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)
  • Like 1