Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

Image result for mercer race car 1917 | Cycle car, Car racer, Racing

One article states only about a dozen authentic pre 14 Mercers have survived to this day. It would be interesting to know what the authors definition of authentic is but I would think some known provenance would provide authenticity. Which begs the question, how many non-authentic pre 14 Mercers are out there? And what are  their stories

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

3 hours ago, AHa said:

Image result for mercer race car 1917 | Cycle car, Car racer, Racing

One article states only about a dozen authentic pre 14 Mercers have survived to this day. It would be interesting to know what the author's definition of authentic is but I would think some known provenance would provide authenticity. Which begs the question, how many non-authentic pre 14 Mercers are out there? And what are  their stories?

For those who don't know, this is Peter Helck's car. He no longer owns it of course but the new owner has kept the patina. The car was repainted in the early 40s as I understand it. The specs for the Mercers is 4.43 x 5 B&S with a compression ratio of 7 to 1 from the factory, rated at 60 hp according to a Hemmings Article.

Ferdinand W. Roebling Sr. | Hemmings

• Like 1

70+ Best Racing before WW I. images in 2020 | racing, race cars, vintage  racing

I wanted to revisit this car, which was posted earlier. I wish I knew how to enlarge it and repost it, maybe one of you guys can. The car though, is an underslung chassis. I didn't notice that before and the right front spring is out of its housing. I can't find any information on what kind of car it is but it appears to be a 1907 American. If so this is a very rare car.

This may be the same car.
44 Underslung Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

And this colorized version is from The Vanderbilt Cup website.
2015-12-02_22-47-22_edited-1sssss.jpg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The car below is identified as a 1907 Acme on the web but I can't find any pictures of an Acme with an underslung chassis so I am relatively sure this is a 1907 American Traveler, 50 hp car. And I am pretty sure it is the same car pictured above.

1907 Acme Model 16 50 hp Runabout specifications, fuel economy, emissions,  dimensions, power, torque

Luckily we have the F.C. Deemer honeymoon car to compare it with.

Back to back: 1907 American Underslung vs 1907 Renault - PreWarCar

There are four exhaust holes in the side of the hood to correspond with the four exhaust openings of the above car. The race picture above also shows the crank handle support indicative of the American as you can see in the picture below.

1909 American Underslung Traveler | Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum

You can also see the front of the springs is held by a shackle, so the spring is not out of its housing above, it is held by its shackle. Very interesting. The car also has the same front axle.

• Like 1