Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

18 minutes ago, George Cole said:

I'm green with envy.  She sure was proud of those gams.  Unless she was wearing a racing suit, she was almost always wearing short-shorts.  

Yep. I didn't even believe that my buddy was telling me the truth when he told me where Connie lived. I was doubly surprised when she answered the door. Sorry about the hijacking....

21 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Yep. I didn't even believe that my buddy was telling me the truth when he told me where Connie lived. I was doubly surprised when she answered the door. Sorry about the hijacking....

No problem.  Where was that?

7 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Saw this in Garlits Museum back in 2007.

tvtommy1.JPG

Yes.  I think the Garlits' museum rotates loaner displays.  Last time I was there they had one of Shirley Muldowney's dragsters and the Little Red Wagon on display as well.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:21 PM, AHa said:

Model T Ford Forum: Looking for info on vintage dirt track race ...

Saw this, and thought maybe I had seen another picture of it before. Looked in my computer files and found this. It looks close. However unless a lot of things got changed, Jack's 13 car has smaller brakes and somewhat different front suspension bracing. A slightly smaller seat back also.

Interesting that two are so unusual and yet so much alike. Or maybe it is the same car and was modified that much?

MinimalistSpeedster-1.jpg

9 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Saw this, and thought maybe I had seen another picture of it before. Looked in my computer files and found this. It looks close. However unless a lot of things got changed, Jack's 13 car has smaller brakes and somewhat different front suspension bracing. A slightly smaller seat back also.

Interesting that two are so unusual and yet so much alike. Or maybe it is the same car and was modified that much?

MinimalistSpeedster-1.jpg

Co-incidently saw the  name "Rajo Jack" in this Hemmings article I was reading earlier today.

And, from that font of all wisdom Wikipedia, 😉 is this entry on Rajo Jack.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, AHa said:
Features - VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only ...

Look very carefully at the "front axle", it will be better if you can zoom in and get a good look (I zoomed in and the detail was surprisingly good). I am almost certain that I have seen several pictures of this car before (it would really  be interesting if again there were two unusual designs so much alike?). A couple of the pictures I have seen show the front of the car and its unusual front axle after a collision. The car is front wheel drive! With a front drive built from a model T differential. There was a four wheel drive conversion offered back in the '20s for the model T, but unless that was modified further, the axle on this car looked like a custom build. I have seen a couple discussions on this car on a couple different forums over the years. If I recall correctly, The Old Motor had a good piece about the car several years ago.

Here is another of those amazing photos. Notice how close to the car and the ground that plane is. I guess with a plane such as this, you don't fly it; you drive it! I cannot even imagine being in the stands to see this in real life. This must be another Ruth Law stunt.

Airplane racing car 2.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What have we here. Model T frame, turned upside down, model T front and rear end, frame cut at the rear, cantilever springs to rear end, non-Ford motor set back in frame. Quite a bit of engineering here. This is what we call shade tree mechanicking.

White6.jpg.0e11f8827f0b4ab132cc454c15fc09b6.jpg

I had to find some notes. The Packard I believe is a 1912 model 30, the earlier National may be 1911, and the other National is a 1916 or '17 six cylinder. The owner and some friends have a shop and storage in a rural area where they keep these and a few other early large car racing cars. They are passionate about restoring their cars as correctly as they can, and driving them in historic racing events. I have been on the sidelines for too long due to family issues, but about fifteen years ago I drove my model T racing car on an Endurance Run, and was fortunate to start the race right alongside one of the Nationals! It sounded wonderful, and was a treat to see off and on throughout the day.

Here is the 1911 National that was raced in the 1911 Indy. Brian exercises the car regularly.

RJ133 Photo 02

This is the 1912 Packard.

Just A Car Guy: 1912 Packard and 1911 National teamed up for the ...

DSC_0091.JPG
This is the 1916 National
Gold Medallion Cars | SVRA
These are the cars Wayne is talking about above. The car immediately above, though the hood looks short, is a 6 cylinder car. It is a small 6.

Riverhead, N.Y.  Stock car Derby - only held one year - 1909.

The photographs were taken with a Brownie box camera by a man who attended the race and whose family lived in the same village  I do . I borrowed the prints of the

photographs in the mid 1970s from the son , and my buddy Austin Clark made 4 x 5 sheet film negatives from the original prints.

I have to much stuff.................................Great pre war photographs ( and by pre war I mean World War I  !!! )

1909RIVERHEAD Rainier#7.jpg

1909RIVERHEADderbyMaxwell#4.jpg

1909RIVERHEADderbyPalmerSinger#3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The American Simplex shown above was built but never finished by the factory. I don't know the complete history or how much of the rich patina you see above is original and how much is more recent. Either way, it is a great car and great look!