Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Love that Essex - town car/taxi. Note the lack of passenger front seat - that was typical of cabs in that era as that was where the luggage/suit cases of the person that hired the cab would place the luggage. Note also how vertical the seat back is for the chauffeur. I have had two cars that had a division window- one was from 1927  a town car the other a decade newer and a limousine both had that vertical seat back and were not comfortable after about a half an hour.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I have had two cars that had a division window- one was from 1927  a town car the other a decade newer and a limousine both had that vertical seat back and were not comfortable after about a half an hour.

The cab driver would be sitting in that seat for a good 10 hour day, five (or more) days a week!!

Craig

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Does anyone know if this experimental 1929 Essex was ever used or still exist?

view

view

view

Ten to one its built as a Taxi or commercial service city daily rental with a driver......neat car, cool photos.

Mercedes Benz 500K , do not know the coach builder. Artistry in metal fabrication and sculpting. A German car but lots of "french curves" in artistic description ( that is what the templates used to draw with are called to get uniform correct similar curves, at that time the curves /tools were all wood, now are plastic ). All done in an era when computers did not exist to draw something on a screen.  Pencils and eraser with a lot of skill and a "good eye".

MERCEDESbenz500K.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Mercedes Benz 500K , do not know the coach builder. Artistry in metal fabrication and sculpting. A German car but lots of "french curves" in artistic description ( that is what the templates used to draw with are called to get uniform correct similar curves, at that time the curves /tools were all wood, now are plastic ). All done in an era when computers did not exist to draw something on a screen.  Pencils and eraser with a lot of skill and a "good eye".

MERCEDESbenz500K.jpg

Walt, it is Sindelfingen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

What is in the background is much more interesting.  Waterhouse Dupont?

Picture 1 of 3

A.J.:

Good eye! Check your copy of Stan Smith's The Eight Cylinder Dupont, page 70, upper image, Dupont G-918 Transformable with the speedster grille.   The camera man should have taken photos of it as well.

Steve

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

Good eye! Check your copy of Stan Smith's The Eight Cylinder Dupont, page 70, upper image, Dupont G-918 Transformable with the speedster grille.   The camera man should have taken photos of it as well.

Steve

I sent it to Stan. Hopefully he is making progress on volume two of his book.

IMG_2867.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I sent it to Stan. Hopefully he is making progress on volume two of his book.

IMG_2867.jpeg

A.J.:

I didn't know he was working on a second volume; I look forward to it.   Consider the odds of casually photographing any car of which only 273 were built of all body styles.  Of this DuPont, I believe when the designer has included a dramatic sweep panel its rude not to at least emphasize it with a minor color shade difference.  Or at least, a narrow pinstripe.

Steve

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

I didn't know he was working on a second volume; I look forward to it.   Consider the odds of casually photographing any car of which only 273 were built of all body styles.  Of this DuPont, I believe when the designer has included a dramatic sweep panel its rude not to at least emphasize it with a minor color shade difference.  Or at least, a narrow pinstripe.

Steve

Steve, I think there is a color contrast. It is just not picked up by the black-and-white photo.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

So what is the deal with the disks?

Have a sales /promotion piece from a maker/supplier of wheel discs ( inner and outer) for that era. May have used this as a subject for a column or a story in the past. If I find it I will post more information here. Discs became popular for a few years to cover the wood wheels because the wood wheels were 1) a PITA to keep clean - thus the inner disc too 2) painted discs let the color of the car be matched and let the style/design flow better .  Polished discs were also a PITA to keep looking smart but gave a bit of flash to the car , particularly on a longer wheel;base car with a pair of rear mounted spare tires.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, utbrowningman said:

Picture of my parents in the late 1950s. Their first car, which I have been told is a 1953 Chevy.

image.jpeg.fe0b5a305a953012b1237dfa1d305574.jpeg

Car to the left has been identified as a 1946 to early series 1949 Plymouth.

• Like 1

The 1953 Chevrolet photos should be posted in the "Post WWII section where they would truly be appreciated. 

I am not complaining. I have fond memories of Chevrolet cars and trucks from the early 1950s. but prewar and postwar were very different eras and draw different interests.

• Thanks 1