Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

10 hours ago, keiser31 said:

That Dodge is a 1936.

Definitely a 1936 model….

The Diesel engines were produced in 1934 and the 1936 Dodge was introduced in November 1935. So I‘m not sure if all five Diesel Dodges were the same models.

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

It would be interesting to find that car now wouldn't it?

The headlights with their flat lenses are also interesting. I wonder if those were special equipment for Switzerland?

I know of at least one still being in existence. The Diesel engine was rough and therfore inappropriate in the Dodge chassis. So they only made five cars.

The headlight lenses are Scintilla. Scintilla was a Swiss car electric manufacturer established in 1917. In order to protect the local market many imported cars had to be equipped with Scintilla products (startimg, lighting and Ignition).

Not many car manufacturers used Scintilla as factory equipment.

Bugatti, Minerva, Tatra, Austro-Daimler just to name a few. But besides Scintilla they also used Bosch and Delco/Delco-Remy. Well known in the US is the famous Scintilla Vertex magneto, a development of the 1930‘s.

Scintilla means „Spark“ in latin.

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Check out the prices for the mags.............$ 75.00 for a ZR4 two spark dual..........for my White..........huge money.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.24.38 PM.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great stuff Ed!

Franklin in the 1919 to 1924 era had a similar "catalog" body like the Springfield Body you show , Franklin called it a demi sedan. NEAT cars - "California top" touring cars was a popular description in the era. A friend owns a demi sedan Franklin , mostly all original and it was quite a build to design and engineer to put it all together to keep it weather proof.

This sounds like it is worthy of a story about this type of body style .....another topic to add to a very long list I have made.  I know I have period material and information on them .

That photo of the British accessory mascots is superb. I only have one in my collection of those shown, the top center leaping lady, would love to have the first two on the left on the first level - leaping dog and lady and bagpiper. All of these were finely cast brass ( lost wax process) , I have someplace a sales catalog for the manufacturer. Like many who look at this fine AACA forums "I collect collections" but never did intentionally, just happened, and with no "investment" factor ever in mind . 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, twin6 said:

7.JPG

The car on the bottom let where you only see the wheel, fender and hood is a 1914 Mitchell. Can't tell if its a 4 or 6 cyl.

Ken

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Amazing photo's Peter ! Are any of those early Saurer automobiles known to survive ?

Yes, there‘s a 1903 chassis in the Saurer museum (first Saurer truck ever built). The oldest complete truck in the museum is a 1911 model that was found in Brazil.

7FA1486C-E17D-4B7A-972A-763D7D0D2712.jpeg

982C1E69-0680-47A8-A829-436F21357B63.jpeg

BA16B97F-BC66-4EC8-9857-10689A71434D.jpeg

Thanks Peter. I was actually thinking more about the cars shown early on in todays photo set. I expect very limited production compared to the trucks. That's amazing that the 1903 truck chassis survives.