1963 Riviera inside metal trim pieces

TheOldMan

Hello, can anyone tell me what the metal trim pieces inside of the riv are made of? They are the ones that go around the headliner, inside the rear window, and the package tray.

They look like aluminum or stainless steel, but I am not sure.

Thanks

6 hours ago, TheOldMan said:

Hello, can anyone tell me what the metal trim pieces inside of the riv are made of? They are the ones that go around the headliner, inside the rear window, and the package tray.

They look like aluminum or stainless steel, but I am not sure.

Thanks

In my 63 the A-pillars are stainless and the rest of the trim pieces are painted metal. They are not aluminum.

Bill

What made me ask this question is that these parts were painted.  I started to sand the paint off these parts cause I was going to repaint them.

While doing so the pieces came out pretty shinny. Just like one refurbishes stainless steel,

I started with 400 sand paper and finished with 2500 grit and buffed two of the pieces out to a brilliant shine just like stainless steel. 

This car is very original and wondered if someone might have repainted the parts. If not, it makes me wonder what metal these parts are

made of.

Thanks for some answers.

Dennis

Edited by TheOldMan (see edit history)

1 hour ago, steelman said:

Very early 63s had a painted windshield trim. This was changed to a chrome molding early in the model run. Do you know your build date? My Dec. 62 car has chrome moldings, so it was changed before that.

My 1963 has a May, 1963 build date and has painted trim except for the A-pillars. I have repainted mine and there was not chrome under the paint. I have the standard interior. Is it possible there is a difference in trim between the 2 different interiors?

Bill

Bill

I concur. Early '63s were all painted steel and later had chromed A-Pillar interior moldings. By 1965, I've noticed the side moldings chrome as well.

I never stripped my moldings completely. Prepped them enough for a new finish. I then installed the chrome A-Pillar moldings on my early Riviera.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I concur. Early '63s were all painted steel and later had chromed A-Pillar interior moldings. By 1965, I've noticed the side moldings chrome as well.

I never stripped my moldings completely. Prepped them enough for a new finish. I then installed the chrome A-Pillar moldings on my early Riviera.

My two 1964’s with custom interiors had chrome around all windows as well as A pillars.

• Like 1