Cernak Buick closing after 80 years

retirednow

It is a shame, and that was such a great show with beautiful countryside.

I think that part of the problem is that GM is demanding facility improvements and like.  

The Bennett Buick article in the Bugle stated they want them to buy expensive equipment for the electric vehicles.

upgrades, equipment, less models, can you blame them for getting out.

another way that GM is thinning their dealers

Loved going to that show Jim and his crew did a great job, many thanks to the Cernak family, i hope Jim finds a new location soon!

Edited by MRJBUICK
add (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

That's a well-written article about the dealership. The single-marque Buick dealership can't survive if Buick Division is only going to offer three SUVs and nothing else. I have a feeling GM is going to let Buick go the way of Pontiac and Oldsmobile. Very sad.

Buick's cars are just not selling—by far the most successful Buick for the last few years is the small Encore crossover. Lately, it's over 50% of total Buick sales.

Of course, cars in general are just not selling. I don't like it, but it's reality—even the stalwart Camry and Accord don't sell anything like they used to—and Toyota and Honda are pouring effort into those platforms. In the early 2020s, the place to be is with crossovers.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

There is a 4th SUV the Encore GX which will be in between the Encore & Envision, there is also the Enspire in the works which will be similar to Cadillacs XT 4 and will be slipped into the spot between Envision and Enclave. There is still the possibility of an electric version of the Enspire. That would make 5 specific models of SUV not counting the various sub models for each.  Who knows, maybe even one of these 

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, J3Studio said:

Buick's cars are just not selling—by far the most successful Buick for the last few years is the small Encore crossover. Lately, it's over 50% of total Buick sales.

Of course, cars in general are just not selling. I don't like it, but it's reality—even the stalwart Camry and Accord don't sell anything like they used to—and Toyota and Honda are pouring effort into those platforms. In the early 2020s, the place to be is with crossovers.

The real differentiation between cars and crossovers is seating position.  The seating position in a car is low to the ground and inconvenient for car entry and exit. By inconvenient I mean awkward, painful and sometimes embarrassing; even my millennial daughters dislike cars for their seating position.  The seating position for a crossover is higher off the ground and much easier to enter and exit.  With the crossover I don't have a dirty palm since I no longer have to pivot off the ground with my left hand when exiting the car.  Of course the aerodynamics of a car provides better gas mileage as dictated by government regulation.  I suppose the general public votes for regulation on one hand but votes with their wallets on the other hand.

I should delete this

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, kgreen said:

The real differentiation between cars and crossovers is seating position.  The seating position in a car is low to the ground and inconvenient for car entry and exit. By inconvenient I mean awkward, painful and sometimes embarrassing; even my millennial daughters dislike cars for their seating position.  The seating position for a crossover is higher off the ground and much easier to enter and exit.  With the crossover I don't have a dirty palm since I no longer have to pivot off the ground with my left hand when exiting the car.  Of course the aerodynamics of a car provides better gas mileage as dictated by government regulation.  I suppose the general public votes for regulation on one hand but votes with their wallets on the other hand.

I should delete this

I remember a LOT of people who were older in the 1960's & '70's complaining about cars being 'too low', making them awkward for entry and exit.  At first, I thought it may have been a 'local' thing, but then I read it in Popular Mechanics magazine 'Owners' Reports' on certain cars, where many stated cars were being made 'too low'; especially compact cars back then.

One major reason 'Gen-X'ers, (and in time, millennials will) have a dislike for passenger cars is there's almost no room for federally mandated safety seats for young children like there are in SUV's. 

Craig

19 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

One major reason 'Gen-X'ers, (and in time, millennials will) have a dislike for passenger cars is there's almost no room for federally mandated safety seats for young children like there are in SUV's. 

Actually, child seats are mandated by the states,

not the federal government.  The federal government

has no constitutional jurisdiction over such things.

So the rules vary by state.

But I agree that some good CARS in the Buick line-up--

reliable, good-looking, diverse, with several models from

which to choose and available in numerous color

combinations--could go a long way in reinvigorating Buick.

Make a reliable, roomy, stylish 2-door Electra, and I'd think of

Buick once again!

1981 Buick Electra--catalog 2a.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, child seats are mandated by the states,

not the federal government.  The federal government

has no constitutional jurisdiction over such things.

So the rules vary by state.

You're no doubt correct.  All I know is they are tested and certified by the Feds. so I thought they also regulated their use as well. 

Closest I was in the market for one was when my sister was planning to visit with her children (one an infant, already in a certified seat/carrier that could be carried on an airplane, and the other a toddler at the time), and wanted to use my vehicle to drive around while she was here.  In they end, they drove the 700 mile distance instead of flying, so I never did have to buy one for the older child.

Craig 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, MRJBUICK said:

I think that part of the problem is that GM is demanding facility improvements and like.  

The Bennett Buick article in the Bugle stated they want them to buy expensive equipment for the electric vehicles.

upgrades, equipment, less models, can you blame them for getting out.

another way that GM is thinning their dealers

Similar to what Harley did with their dealers.  Ever wonder why you suddenly saw all these huge, spiffy, well-lit Harley dealers next to the freeway while the local shops in a 100-year-old building were closing?

On 2/19/2020 at 8:33 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

But I agree that some good CARS in the Buick line-up--reliable, good-looking, diverse, with several models from which to choose and available in numerous color combinations--could go a long way in reinvigorating Buick. Make a reliable, roomy, stylish 2-door Electra, and I'd think of Buick once again!

1981 Buick Electra--catalog 2a.jpg

Ah, those big B-body and C-body coupes …

• Like 1