1963 Riviera Power Bucket Seat Lower Trim Wanted And Help

Riviera63

I just found out a couple of days ago by accident that the 63-65 Rivieras with power seats had trim that attached to the lower portion of the seat to hide the track and other things. I have read other threads and have a pretty good understanding of how they attach and interact with each other. I do have a couple of questions though. In the attached picture I have a couple of parts circled. Where does the piece circled in red go and/or attach on the driver's seat? The piece circled in blue attaches to the right side of the seat. In the thread where that picture was posted, it mentioned that this piece may have a piece broken off. Can anyone confirm that it is broken or whole? 

I am searching for these trim pieces so if anyone has any or all of these pieces that they would like to sell I am in the market. I have reached out to many vendors already with no luck so far. Any help answering the parts questions or leads to where I might find these parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Riviera Seat Bottom Pieces Complete labeled 3.jpg

22 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

I saw this but, I need for a 1963. Thanks Tom. From a previous thread.

"I did a little research project on these years ago and was surprised to find there are significant differences from year to year. There are differences in terms of the actual shape of the pieces, the locations where the retainer pins are placed and therefore the shape of the brackets which the pieces are affixed to. In addition, the molded pattern in the plastic is different. It is rather subtle but the `63-`64 cars have a "seville" grain and the `65 pieces have a "madrid" grain."

Bill

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

I saw this but, I need for a 1963. Thanks Tom. From a previous thread.

"I did a little research project on these years ago and was surprised to find there are significant differences from year to year. There are differences in terms of the actual shape of the pieces, the locations where the retainer pins are placed and therefore the shape of the brackets which the pieces are affixed to. In addition, the molded pattern in the plastic is different. It is rather subtle but the `63-`64 cars have a "seville" grain and the `65 pieces have a "madrid" grain."

Bill

I posted this as an example which is available, not necessarily something you should buy for your car.

Tom

10 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I posted this as an example which is available, not necessarily something you should buy for your car.

Tom

Tom,

What is this is an example of? Is this a whole example of the piece I have circled in blue up above that goes on the right side of the driver's seat next to the console or is it the stationary piece that goes on the left side of the driver's seat? The description by the seller on e-bay doesn't really pinpoint which piece it is. Thanks.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 7:59 AM, abandg said:

I have a couple of these seat pieces left. They are made of metal and are really nice. Paint it any color you want and your good to go. A few people asked about these.  The cost is 80 dollars plus shipping. Gene

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

A follow up on this thread. I followed Kegart's lead and purchased both of the left driver's side metal trim pieces from Gene of abandg. I wanted a more original look than just the painted metal. I was able to cover both pieces with black vinyl. I am very happy with the results as I get the original look plus the durability of the metal construction.

Bill

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

3 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

A follow up on this thread. I followed Kegart's lead and purchased both of the left driver's side metal trim pieces from Gene of abandg. I wanted a more original look than just the painted metal. I was able to cover both pieces with black vinyl. I am very happy with the results as I get the original look plus the durability of the metal construction.

Bill

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

Bill,

Looks great. Did you glue the vinyl on? Did you ever get an answer from your original post as to what those other 2 pieces are?

Jim

2 hours ago, JJ62 said:

Bill,

Looks great. Did you glue the vinyl on? Did you ever get an answer from your original post as to what those other 2 pieces are?

Jim

Thanks Jim. I used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement to attach the vinyl. Yes, I have since gotten the answers to my questions.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I removed my front seats before I put my car away for the winter so that I could have the foam padding redone. The seats are back from the upholstery shop and I have been slowly getting them back together. I just finished reattaching the power seat assembly and the lower trim pieces. I also attached the passenger seat trim pieces. I just learned about these trim pieces a little over a year ago. I am sure there are others that do not know about them or have never seen them actually in place on the seats. Attached are pictures of them in place and in the case of the driver's seat in the full up and full down position.

Bill

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I removed my front seats before I put my car away for the winter so that I could have the foam padding redone. The seats are back from the upholstery shop and I have been slowly getting them back together. I just finished reattaching the power seat assembly and the lower trim pieces. I also attached the passenger seat trim pieces. I just learned about these trim pieces a little over a year ago. I am sure there are others that do not know about them or have never seen them actually in place on the seats. Attached are pictures of them in place and in the case of the driver's seat in the full up and full down position.

Bill

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

Gonna put a watch on this one so I'll know what to look for and where it goes when (if) I find everything. 

Nice post. Thanks,

Ed

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Gonna put a watch on this one so I'll know what to look for and where it goes when (if) I find everything. 

Nice post. Thanks,

Ed

Thanks Ed. For you and anyone else planning to put these pieces in give me a shout before you go ahead and do this. I ran into a bit of a problem with clearance between the 2 driver's left side pieces when putting the seat in the full down position. I had a situation where I almost ruined my vinyl covering on the inside piece. If you have the original plastic pieces if might result in a broken piece or two. Luckily, I caught it and was able to fix the issue. I can let you know what might happen and how I solved the problem. Having gone through this I can give some other tips that will make the install a little easier also. 

Bill

P.S. Ed, how do you put a watch on something? I have some posts I would like to keep tabs on as well. Thanks.

I actually phrased it wrong. I should have said that I'll "Follow it."  In the upper right hand corner of the thread, there's a link to click if you want to follow a thread. Not that much more might be posted,but it saves a grueling search, if you can even remember that something was posted you want to use as a reference.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

I actually phrased it wrong. I should have said that I'll "Follow it."  In the upper right hand corner of the thread, there's a link to click if you want to follow a thread. Not that much more might be posted,but it saves a grueling search, if you can even remember that something was posted you want to use as a reference.

Thanks Ed. That is pretty simple. That will save me much time in the future. I have spent much time doing those grueling searches trying to find something from the past I need to reference.

Bill

Bill. Do you know if these trim pieces were also supposed to be there on a 64?  I recently redid my seats and carpet and installed the seats back in and remembered thinking they looked a little bare at the bottom of the seats like maybe something should be there. 

6 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

Bill. Do you know if these trim pieces were also supposed to be there on a 64?  I recently redid my seats and carpet and installed the seats back in and remembered thinking they looked a little bare at the bottom of the seats like maybe something should be there. 

Yes, the 1964 and 1965 Riviera's had these pieces as well. Some of the 1964 and 1965 pieces and brackets are different than the 1963. Be careful if you go to purchase these parts. I found this out the hard way when I started getting pieces for my car. 

Bill

As stated by Tom T. and Tom M. the grain on the 63 & 64 pieces was the Seville grain pattern and the 65 was the Madrid grain pattern.

The differences in the years I was referring to were differences in the configuration of some of the actual trim pieces and the brackets that hold them. From trying to assemble the pieces for my own car, being sold the wrong pieces for my 63, disassembling my seat, disassembling seats from the other years and information I have read on other posts in this forum I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) The trim pieces that attach to the back of the PASSENGER seat tracks are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 1 & 2.

2.) The 2 trim pieces that attach to the RIGHT side of the DRIVER'S seat are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 3 & 4

3.) The DRIVER'S seat LEFT INSIDE/LOWER trim piece and brackets are the same for all years.  Pictures 5 & 6

4.) The DRIVER'S seat OUTER/UPPER trim piece is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 trim piece. Pictures 7 & 8

5.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/FRONT trim bracket is slightly different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. Pictures 9 & 10

6.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/REAR trim bracket is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. The 1964-1965 bracket is 3 1/4" wide and the 1963 bracket is 4" wide. The 1964-1965 bracket is 1 1/2" tall and the 1963 bracket is 1 7/8" tall. The mounting tabs on the 1964-1965 bracket are angled whereas the 63 bracket mounting tabs are straight. Pictures 11 & 12

As far as the outer trim piece and brackets on the LEFT DRIVER'S side. I believe you can use the 1964-1965 trim piece and brackets on a 1963 and you can use the 1963 trim piece and brackets on a 1964-1965 as long as you have all of the same pieces for that specific year(s). You cannot mix and match the upper/outer brackets and trim piece of different year categories. 

Bill

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

63 & 64-65 outer trim pieces.jpeg

Seat Trim Pieces Riviera Bob.jpg

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG