Goldenrod car

Section10

Bud, was it possibly called "neckers knobs". They were put on so that you could drive the car and make turns with your left hand only, while your right arm was draped around your girl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

Ahhh, those days!! We all had those knobs but we didn't call them suicide knobs, but d----d if i can recall what we called them...probably get you ticketed for unsafe controls now...

I always kind of assumed they were illegal, but I got stopped once with one on my Jeep steering wheel and the cop looked right at it and ignored it.  A couple years ago I asked the sheriff who is a friend of mine if they were illegal and he said not as far as he knew.

Varies by state I think. Those were always illegal in WA back in the day, but might not be anymore. The street rodders have got a lot of things changed here. You can have blue dots now, no fenders if its not raining, etc.

P.S. No, I don't use one, but I would invite anyone who thinks they're "unsafe" to try driving a prewar car in city traffic while hand signaling, and see if you still think so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Varies by state I think. Those were always illegal in WA back in the day, but might not be anymore. The street rodders have got a lot of things changed here. You can have blue dots now, no fenders if its not raining, etc.

P.S. No, I don't use one, but I would invite anyone who thinks they're "unsafe" to try driving a prewar car in city traffic while hand signaling, and see if you still think so.

Not so necessary now, but I had two 50's Jeeps without power steering and both had these knobs.  Made steering a bit easier.

This old girl has one now.

I may be getting weaker in my old age.

I should probably get a current picture, this is when I bought it out of Arizona.

Apparently sanding to bare metal is the thing down there, not so much in Oregon.

Its been sprayed with some epoxy now.

20915351_505504383130175_8121831993714875192_n.jpg

• Like 2