what is this???

Steves Buick

OK I confess,  the car is back together and of course there are these 2 left over parts for my 32 buick. I thought they were door springs, but I dont see how they would attach to the door. I know there are guys out there that will say how did he not know this but here I am.. Thanks for any inputs and sarcasim will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

image.jpg

Only two leftover pieces from your project, Steve? You are superhuman! 

O.K. I know very little about 1932 Buicks (other than your 90 series couple is a beautiful  example of that year's production. However, let me take a shot at this one....perhaps my comments will jog your memory. This spring looks a tiny bit similar to some I've seen that are part of the exterior door latching mechanism. The ones I've seen put tension on the latch "bolt" as it the moves in and out of the door latch receiver, when you rotate the car's outside door handle. It causes the bolt to spring outward, as you release the door handle. Sometimes guys don't replace these in a restoration, and the exterior door handle will sag. Or, the restorer inadvertently flips these springs (right side door spring to left side door), and the exterior handle actually points upward a bit.

And, now....taking another guess. How about these parts being part of your mechanical braking system? Something to hold a couple of brake rods apart when they're moving parallel to each other along the frame, or wherever.

And, as long as I'm taking guesses....could these pieces have anything to do with your golf club door (if your car is so equipped)? Again, part of the latch or door hinge mechanism. How about the rumble seat "trunk" cover? And, finally, anything to do with the interior jump seats (if so equipped)?

NOW, having gone out on a limb here, since I've never seen your specific part before, I ask you and any other respondents to be gentle with me, if I missed this by a mile. Good luck. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve,

Obviously meant to keep 2 bolts / pins apart.

Where are the wear points ?

Inside the two outer curves ?

Some kind of rocker switch ?

Tell us what does not work on the car, and that will be the first clue.

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 1

They are anti rattle springs for the rear brake linkage.  The brake pedal works linkage to a cross shaft that passes through the side frame rails.  from the lever on outside of the fram there is a rod that connect to a lever about a foot behind the cross shaft. From this idler lever there is a rod shaft to the rear brakes.  The  anti rattle spring goes between the two rod clevis pins.

Bob Engle

• Like 3

Hey, Steve.....hold on a minute!! What is this bountiful praise and adulation of Bob Engle all about?? What about this quote from my initial post: 

"And, now....taking another guess. How about these parts being part of your mechanical braking system?"

I do admit that was a bit of a guess on my part. But, it was based on some general old car mechanical experience, and a little logic.

O.K., now being serious: I've enjoyed Bob's posts on other topics, and he sure knows his stuff. And, Steve, since you and I have recently come to know each other because of other old BUICK stuff, I had to give you a rough time. I'm glad you now have no leftover parts from your '32 BUICK restoration. John

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:43 AM, FLYER15015 said:

Steve,

Obviously meant to keep 2 bolts / pins apart.

Where are the wear points ?

Inside the two outer curves ?

Some kind of rocker switch ?

Tell us what does not work on the car, and that will be the first clue.

Mike in Colorado

So my first guess was correct..........

Just saying..

Mike in colorado

Geez, Mike is as bad as I am!  Wait a minute....I think my suggestion was closer to the correct answer than Mike's was!! I don't think Steve was offering a prize or cash reward for the guy who came up with the answer he needed. Heck, I'm moving on the next "What Is It" question on the forum. John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK, OK I asked for sarcasim, thanks for the replys by all, Yes John  and Flyer you guys also were on target as well, every body gets a trophy!! I really enjoy this forum for stuff like this, then when we meet at a Buick national meet we can point fingers at each other and order a cold one.. I do have another "what is it" part yet to be posted.. maybe we should have a seperate catagory "What is it?" on the forum.. like trivia pursuit.?? Thanks guys..

Steve  

• 1 year later...

Old post for many, but new for me as someone trying to keep the dream alive...

I decided to remove the one 'mostly good' and 'nearly worn' anti-rattle spring I had on the drivers side, and also remove the one worn broken anti-rattle spring on the passengers side for posterities sake on my 1932 Buick.  The passengers side spring broke due to wear, and the drivers side was very close to breaking, so maybe it was time to retire the drivers side anti-rattle spring, and all anti-rattle springs for good.

I am not concerned about a little rattle on a 90 year old car, happy birthday to my Buick this year in whatever form it wants to take, shakes and rattles!

My wife wants to ride in style and reliability, and she doesn't care about rattle, especially since the 90hp engine at 45mph tends to drown out anything in the car, including our evening chats about how our kids are doing in school and life, etc.

I do want to shout out to Bob Engle - I don't know how he does it, but he has a great memory and knowledge about the 1932 Buicks and cares about imparting his knowledge to others like me...he has helped me as a rookie so much, and I cannot thank him enough.

Str8-8-Dave is also an incredible guy with a now handsome red-black 31-66S who also comes from a long line of experience and automotive purveyors, and while we share similar Ford-related backgrounds, I am trying to catch up, and I thoroughly have developed an affinity towards similar prewar and very early Buicks like Bob and Dave have, to the point I would really consider a 19-teens Buick to purvey. 

Old school - my wife and I are probably a little unique thinking 30-40mph is a good time on our country roads, but you should know we like to swing and ballroom dance, and we also like watching old black and white movies like the Thin Man, and films with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, much to our kids dismay vs action films with the Marvel Avengers.

This might be cool, last year photo op example with a real B25 bomber in MN;

https://www.cafmn.org/store/p68/April_17%2C_2021_Photo_Op_With_Miss_Mitchell__.html

May you all keep your brakes and safety devices serviced and in check to ensure many safe miles of enjoyment and fun on the roads.

broken anti-rattle brake springs.jpg