tubes in a radial tire

2nevets

Hello
I am ready to put on a set of factory wire wheels on my Hudson and would like to run diamond back wide white radials 
I obviously need to run tubes and from what I have been reading they don't recommend running tubes in a radial?
if so that hurts!! any ideas?

Story is the tubes wear thin due to the extra side wall motion of radials vs bias ply tires.  I have also heard that there are tubes designed for use with radials.  Never had experience with this, just picked up in reading.  A vintage tire vendor should have the facts.

We've been running tubes with radials in my wife's Chrysler wire wheels for a few years without any issues. Multiple long-distance highway trips at 65-70 MPH, smooth and quiet. Install them carefully, make sure they're not pinched or folded, and use flaps to protect it from the flaps and it should be fine. Find a shop that does heavy truck tires and they should have no problem doing it right where your regular tire shop might look askance at the request. There are "radial" tubes but I'm not convinced they're any different. Just make sure they're sized properly to the wheels and tires you're using.

2 hours ago, 2nevets said:

what kind of stickers?

The id stickers from the manufacturer on the tube or the inside of the tire, especially if they have a wrinkle in them. The sticker with as little as a hundred miles of wear can become a small piece of grit and cut the tube.

Ran a new set of Diamondback wide white radials with radial tubes on my 40 Buick for over 800 miles on the 2019 Glidden with no problems. But when my local shop installed them they removed the stickers and cleaned off the adhesive first. The installer showed me an old tube with a sticker that had developed a slow leak from wear where the sticker was applied. Said most shops don't install enough radial tubes and tires on classic cars to know that's a problem. 

Today: I am  running tubeless on my wire wheels  - I RTV'ed the spoke holes and then RTV'ed in a gutter strip over the drop center well.  Everyone has an opinion, but I just took the advice of the fellow who has driven his Auburn 851 boattail all over the United States via touring/shows.  Will I have problems - who knows, but I now have 2000 miles in without issue and like my chances better than "prior." . 

Prior: This was the result of a what I believe to have been a tube failure (heavy duty Radial tube made for trucking).  Also, the tread separated from the sidewall and showed no sign of any puncture.  The tube wrapped around axle and had to be cut off - lots of smoke. 

46709209_10157069460497189_7684756773940494336_n.thumb.jpg.3e074467070c6f6e14d979d98aba1cb0.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 1/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Install them carefully, make sure they're not pinched or folded, and

use flaps to protect it from the flaps <==

and it should be fine. Find a shop that does heavy truck tires and they should have no problem doing it right where your regular tire shop might look askance at the request. There are "radial" tubes but I'm not convinced they're any different. Just make sure they're sized properly to the wheels and tires you're using.

Duh?  What?  Have to concede, it is indeed important to know what kind of condition one's condition is in!

The manufacturer of these wheels used a heavy dose of RTV and recommended tubeless.

What a horrible experience when the RTV throws a pound or so out of your balance. Happened twice on different wheels.

They did redo the RTV, but I run radial tubes it these now with no issues.

Seems the RTV doesn't stick well to the powder coating at speed.

IM002724.JPG

IM002725.JPG

IM002726.JPG

IM002728.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 1:42 PM, JACK M said:

Seems the RTV doesn't stick well to the powder coating at speed.

Correct - too slick = you would need a light sandblast or a scuffing with say 80 grit sandpaper.

And, if someone put on a pound of RTV they would be an idiot (got the point, but wrong execution).   Think: "Brylcreem—A Little Dab'll Do Ya!