1932 Duesenberg J490X, Coachwork in the Style of Derham

Gourmet or gourmand...................where I come from the nomenclature is connoisseur..............in my family  we drop the con, and just go with the sewer. That’s what happens when you grow up on the wrong side of the tracks! 😝

Gourmet and Gourmand have same root. Simply, Gourmet means the art of prepared fine food and drink, and the Gourmand is the person who favors Gourmet food. Of course over time, Gourmand has been bastardized in modern lingo to include gluttons, but that is not it's root.  

On 1/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, Walt G said:

😯E ...I am not a rumble seat car guy at all. Look nice but you have to be no older then a nimble 12 year old to easily climb in and out of one... 

There are some exceptions! Back in 2010 I was at the ACD festival in Auburn, and met an older fella by the name of Everett Kuhn. He told me that he had just sold his last ACD automobile, and this would be the first time in 50 some years that he would be viewing the parade from a lawn chair instead of from inside an ACD car. So I offered him a ride in my 29 Model J Murphy convertible coupe, figuring that he would be riding in the front seat with me. But no, he insisted on riding in the rumble seat. With a couple of us around him to catch him if he fell, Everett stepped onto the running board, and up onto the fender step, and into the rumble seat. He was 95 years old at the time!

• Like 4

On 1/23/2020 at 10:27 AM, alsancle said:

I wouldn't sweat it Matt.   About 99.5% of the time when somebody outside the hard core hobby calls something a Duesenberg,  it is almost always a Buick.

I hate to think how many people over the years have asked me if my Cadillac was a RR

• Like 1

Matt, thanks for the kind words!  I like to share my Model J as much as possible because back before I had it, Duesenbergs seemed so inaccessible. Always behind ropes in museums, never seen at any local shows. I wanted to see under the hood, crawl underneath, see up close what makes them so legendary,  hear it run, listen to it roar if someone were to take it out and floor it! The golden rule now applies. 

Steve, the videos are still there, Hemi Joel on Youtube. I need to make some more. Hopefully 2020 will be the year for that. 

Joe, I have had the same issue! My son and I had the Deusey to a show at Jefferson Wisconsin, and a teenager came running towards us from about a block away. When he got within hollering distance he started yelling with great exuberance "is that a Rolls Royce, is that a Rolls Royce, IS THAT A ROLLS ROYCE?!!" When he got up to the car my son said "it's a Duesenberg" The kids head just dropped, and he said in a disappointed voice "I thought it was a Rolls Royce" and slowly moped away. Well, at least he was passionate about a great marque. Now whenever my son sees the car, he taunts me: "Is that a Rolls Royce?"

• Like 1

Over lunch today I watched the video of the car on a country road that was posted on YouTube.  The camera man swung down on the spedo but I couldn't read it. So...curiousity is killing me.  How fast was it? Oh how I would have loved to be along for the ride! That looks like a great car. I admire your willingness to drive it and share it.

14 year old camera operator, he was just learning.   It just touched 70, then I slowed down. It's so fun to drive, like I'm sure all Duesenbergs are.