lock cylinder removal 1937 door handle

bhemi

20 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

You should be able to get the lock cyl assembly out without a key, if its not froze-up. Look close at the shaft, there is a small pin to knock out, once removed, the lock assembly should pull out the front.

Thanks. that is exactly what we were looking for

Gary's link seems to take me to the start of his restoration. To make it easier to find, the pertinent section is on page 43 of his restoration story. I am glad this subject came up. Somehow I either missed this or forgot about it in Gary's restoration story. This is helpful to me since I will need to do some lock switching between handles in the next few weeks.  

• Like 1

Another way is to cut the shaft(hack saw)from each side to the center edge of the slug(active piece), remove end of shaft and slug then lock assembly can be pressed out. Be careful not to damage little nubbie on end of lock shaft. Cut off end will need to be welded back in place and re-bore/drill hole for slug.

Before using a slide hammer or cutting anything I would suggest soaking it in penetrate a little longer and then try a key blank and try turning it. With the pin out it might allow it to turn and loosen. I've removed the cylinder on my handle with the correct key by removing the pin and turning the cylinder a little, then the spring pushes it the rest of the way.

If the number is on the shaft you could also get a key made instead of possibly breaking the handle. 

• 2 weeks later...