fuel tank replacement

Tony38

Hello, everyone I keep running into parts issues, with my 1938 pontiac six. Im currently looking for a fuel tank so that i can get this beautiful gal on the road longer than around the block. Ive seen a few from summit that are the right dimensions but not sure if sending unit and everything else would work. Does anyone know of a tank that will work in the correct location, or point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the help and knowledge.

I used evaporust to clean out the tank on my 48 Plymouth after the sediment plugged the pickup screen.  It worked great/. Tank looked new inside when I poured it out.  Though for long life you may want to coat it then with one of the kits avaiable, that's of course if you still have a tank without any real holes in it. 

The sending unit is a 0-30 ohm one. Late 30s Pontiacs and Buicks typically had the fuel pickup located in the sending unit. Chevrolets typically didn't. Most (maybe all) Gm cars used 0 ohms (for empty) and 30 ohms (for full) well into the early 60s.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

The tank that is in it somebody already put blobs of some sort of patch crud on it. Its literally all over the tank so that's why I'm searching for a new tank. I will certainly look into tanks thank you for that name drop. This is my first restoration project and I believe I picked a doozy. Thank you for the information.

If you have a good tinsmith or sheet metal shop in your area, they may be able to build you a new tank. I had one done for my '36 Dodge with galvanized steel with all rolled and soldered seams. No rust with solder, not like you get with welding. He installed the baffle and all mounting supports. Fit perfectly. Cost around $350 at the time.

IMG18.JPG

• Like 1

We have a good radiator shop in town that will cut open an old tank. They can sandblast all the crud and rust out. That will also find thin spots and deep pits. The weak metal gets replaced and the seams are all soldered with a test in the radiator test at the end.. Most cities should have a similar shop.

The you have the original tank to put back in without any compromises or monkeying around fitting it. That would be my first choice.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting, they have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Repair-Shop/B-J-R-Auto-Radiator-Service-Corp-1017961188254845/

They did a Bentley tank that had a number of interconnected chambers. It would have been hard to do a good job without opening the tank, a real flaky rusted one.

• Like 1