Temp gauge repair....

JimmyS

Anyone here have any experience with “Seattle Speedometer” they claim to do temp gauge repairs as well as recondition all types of old instruments.  They are NOT in Seattle, but halfway across the state.  I can’t say that I blame them though, Seattle has turned into a dump. 

I’d be interested to hear about their work or any other shops you could recommend to repair a non working temp gauge.

Thanks, JimmyS 

057BBE39-CD29-4516-8025-6EB74539C8C3.jpeg

Nothing is wrong with your dash clock gauge. The bulb that goes into the head developed a leak and lost it's goosh. They are similar to Lucas on most British cars. There is company in N.E. US. who does work for all British gauges . PHONE CUSTOMER SERVICES .800 689 9313, Moss Motors. They will connect you. They might be able to repair yours.

If it’s complete but just doesn’t work, most likely it has developed a leak. If that is the case, I can repair your gauge. I have repaired many 1930’s Cadillac gauges as well as several Jaguar XK 120 and 150 gauges. You can contact the owners of Rogers Motors that restore and supply parts for most early (pre 1970)  English cars. You can find them on the net. That way you’ll know I’m not feeding you a bogus contact. 
 I get $250 including shipping in the US to restore your gauge. If not satisfied, I’ll refund your money.

Wayne Elsworth

Cadillac LaSalle Club #17057

yachtflame@yahoo.com

413-658-4416

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)

I was pointed to an article on repairing the one in my 31 Pierce-Arrow by using a modern bulb gauge made for non-pressurized radiator tractors. I bought a cheap Chinese made gauge, froze the bulb in rock-salted water then cut the capillary tube and soldered it to my original gauge using a piece of brass tubing that just fit over the capillary as a union. It works well enough to be helpful but I don’t think it reads the temperature exactly. The reason for the tractor gauge was they have a lower heating differential on the gauge. If you are half way handy in the garage, I think it’s something that you can do yourself...

35 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I was pointed to an article on repairing the one in my 31 Pierce-Arrow by using a modern bulb gauge made for non-pressurized radiator tractors. I bought a cheap Chinese made gauge, froze the bulb in rock-salted water then cut the capillary tube and soldered it to my original gauge using a piece of brass tubing that just fit over the capillary as a union. It works well enough to be helpful but I don’t think it reads the temperature exactly. The reason for the tractor gauge was they have a lower heating differential on the gauge. If you are half way handy in the garage, I think it’s something that you can do yourself...

Like this? https://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Since both the sealing of the system and calibration of the gauge is involved, I'd leave it to a professional.

OHOH if you just want the needle to move and can recalibrate, one of the easier methods might work.

• Thanks 1