Mark Gregory

Interesting Article

I do not understand what is so great about the Sharknose 

https://www.motorcities.org/story-of-the-week/

Remembering Amos Northup & His Contributions to Auto Design

By Robert Tate, Automotive Historian and Researcher
Images courtesy of Hemmings & the Robert Tate Collection
Published 12.11.2019

Amos E. Northup was born in Bellevue, Ohio in 1889. He attended the Cleveland Polytechnic Institute, where he studied design under Henry G. Keller. After many years of furniture and interior design, Northup wanted to move on to something different.

Northup’s career continued at Pierce-Arrow, where he designed trucks as a member of their styling team. Later, he joined the Wills Sainte Claire Automobile Company as chief designer. Northup would go on to style many great-looking automobiles. For example, the Hupmobile Century models were a part of his great success using Murray bodies for manufacturing. He was also involved with the Leon Rubay & Company, where he was credited for the great-looking designs of the 1924 Willis Sainte Claire automobiles.

1927, Northup was hired as chief designer for the Murray Corporation, however, the financial arrangement was not to his satisfaction, so he left the company. The next year, he joined Willys Overland in Toledo and hired his first automotive assistant, Jules Andrade. He designed the 1930 Willys-Knight, as well as great looking Phaeton and Roadster models. The models had a design that featured a raised panel running back through the center portion of the hood, which many consumers really admired.

Northup eventually returned to Murray with a better contract that gave him the opportunity to move the company forward in automotive design. Upon his return, he completely redesigned a new automobile for REO, which became the Royale. The Royale received great reviews for being a great looking and trendsetting car. Northup was given free reign on the design of this model. He also was involved with some beautiful Packard and Lincoln models built by Murray.

The 1938 Graham Sharknose sedan was Northup’s final project, featuring a forward-thrusting grille and headlights mounted in the fenders. Automotive writer Michael Lamm, one of the authors of “A Century of Automotive Style: 100 years of American Car Design”, said the Sharknose design began with skirt-fendered sketches. Someone else finished the production design, adding Cord-like louvers”. Some automotive historians called this model streamlined and aerodynamic.

Unfortunately, Northup’s career in automotive design was cut short in 1937, when he slipped on an icy sidewalk, cracked his skull and died of his injuries shortly afterwards. He never saw his final design enter the manufacturing process. 

In conclusion, Amos Northup made great contributions to the automotive industry. His designs like the 1928 Hupmobile were recognized for their excellence by automotive historians. Writer Hugo Pfau said, “His sense of proportion was superb, and his feeling for the flow of complex curved surfaces was unsurpassed. He was truly a sculptor in sheet metal.”

image.png.4d26db8ac2f98daa13c277e1a6d77c0e.png

Northup’s talents in design continued with the popular Dietrich bodies during the late 1920s and early 1930s. The Graham nameplate also received his styling influence as well. His Graham models featured a very radical design that included the famous “Sharknose” front end. Some of the public did not embrace the idea, but others admired the unique and different style.
Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you see in the production 'shark-nose' "Spirit of Motion" 1938-'40 Grahams are a very watered-down version of what Amos Northup originally conceived.   The most striking features of the leaping front fenders and hood were interpreted for production, including the faired-in headlights, but many of the even more progressive features and details weren't included.  Major items omitted were front fenders faired into the front doors like the 1941 Packard Clipper, running-boards deleted by fairing the lower surfaces as they did on the Pierce Silver Arrows,, and a tapered fastback rear with fender skirts.  The most unusual feature was a semi-hardtop treatment of the rear door and quarter window, much as was done on English coach-built touring coupes and limousines. The front fenders were skirted as well for streamlining, though contrary to the function given the necessary wheel sweep, and a feature of varying appeal.

The patent drawings appear on page 77 of A Century of Automotive Style: 100 years of American Car Design by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls.  Its worth your time to get a copy of this excellent book as read it cover to cover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

I do not understand what is so great about the Sharknose

OK, let's step outside and discuss this..... 😲       Ha! See my avatar.

BTW, the Sharknose name was made up in the 50s or so, not part of Grahams' advertising department.

To me the Sharknose is the epitome of Art Deco design. Come by and take a look!

• Haha 1

I know that the article is only a small slice of this man's talent, but for the life of me, I don't know how anyone could ignore the 1932-33 Graham Silver Streak. By ignoring some of Northup's best, while highlighting some of his more controversial designs, I really wonder what the author was trying to say. 

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

The 1932 Graham Blue Streak was by far the most influential design on the industry in general.  The 1938 Spirit of Motion 'shark-nose' was yet another effort to lead the industry in a new design direction but lacked the talented, skilled driving force that Amos Northup was.    Only its broadest, most startling features appeared, which were polarizing, unlike the Blue Streak.   Graham was such a relatively small manufacturer that grabbing attention with styling was one of the few devices it could use to be noticed. 

With my friend , AACA member John Salemmo I do a tv program for the Inc. Village of Floral Park, where I live and have done so for many years.

We did a program on Amos Northup and it can be seen on your computer. Google 4 Village Studio, Floral Park.  When that comes on your computer screen click on Watch Now, then scroll down to the programs titled  'The Antique Road Test'  then to the show titled Amos Northup. Click on that and sit back for about half an hour. We do both in studio as well as a  "road test" on location shows and have done about 20 so far. Several have taken awards in the annual Alliance for Community Media ,  North East Region competition.

What makes me most proud, is  that with the exception of the fine fellow who heads the studio who is paid to do so, all of the people who tape the show from camera work, to editing, and sound are volunteers!  Many are my former students I am getting to see again after 10 to 15 years later. It takes hours to tape and edit the programs we do as they have more props to contend with ( from period sales catalogs and photographs to real cars) then the regular assorted variety of talk shows that they film.

This is what John and I do in our spare time. 🙃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

With my friend , AACA member John Salemmo I do a tv program for the Inc. Village of Floral Park, where I live and have done so for many years.

We did a program on Amos Northup and it can be seen on your computer. Google 4 Village Studio, Floral Park.  When that comes on your computer screen click on Watch Now, then scroll down to the programs titled  'The Antique Road Test'  then to the show titled Amos Northup. Click on that and sit back for about half an hour. We do both in studio as well as a  "road test" on location shows and have done about 20 so far. Several have taken awards in the annual Alliance for Community Media ,  North East Region competition.

What makes me most proud, is  that with the exception of the fine fellow who heads the studio who is paid to do so, all of the people who tape the show from camera work, to editing, and sound are volunteers!  Many are my former students I am getting to see again after 10 to 15 years later. It takes hours to tape and edit the programs we do as they have more props to contend with ( from period sales catalogs and photographs to real cars) then the regular assorted variety of talk shows that they film.

This is what John and I do in our spare time. 🙃

I encourage everyone here on the AACA Forum to take some time out of your day and watch these fine programs that Walt and John do ! I've watched just about everyone of them - excellent !!  And the road test.... absolutely beautiful vehicles !!

Steve 

• Like 2

Grahamman - great you posted the toys! THANK YOU I had a tootsietoy Graham sedan but I think that it went to my friend  Roy Margeneu at Hershey a few years ago. I collect pressed steel toys, have for many decades and next to the real cars , realistic pressed steel toys ( Turner toy Packards and Lincoln sedan, Corcoran DeSoto and Chrysler airflows  etc) are a great passion . the Graham that you show is perhaps my favorite. I got a bit obsessed with them ( I like to restore toys as much as the cars) and although I stopped buying them about a decade or more ago still have two I restored, plus one excellent original, and seven  I need to yet restore. Everyone reading this will now think I am totally nuts - correct assumption.

I watched your show, enjoyed it greatly.  Finally, an automotive show about something of substance.  Its wonderful you're making an effort to bring the obscure designers and makes to the public's attention.   As many talented, skilled designers and engineers contributed to the development of the automobile, they should to have time in the spotlight.   They're an inspiration to those coming along now. 

• Like 3

Thanks 58L-Y8 appreciate your comments greatly. As an author and historian, the concept of the show came to me when the studio first opened but it took some time to get the "right mix" as to how to present the material ( no hype - we aren't selling anything except information properly documented, not guessed at) in a manner that the general viewer ( ie not a car person) may enjoy what they are looking at, but at the same time not water it down so a true car fanatic would view it as another program full of the usual "fluff". My co host John Salemmo  is a long time great friend and we are very comfortable with our conversations for the show - it is like we are sitting in a living room at our homes and just having a  "car" talk. You will never ever hear the word expert on our show nor have either of us give any ideas of current monetary value about anything. You will hear us tell of what the cost of things were when the vehicles were new and possibly put in perspective such as what a monthly wage was in 1931 compared to the price of a new Plymouth model PA sedan.We owe the village of Floral Park a great deal of thanks for letting us tape the shows as they provide ( in the annual budget ) for all the equipment, which is extensive, to be purchased and maintained. thanks too, to all of you here who may choose to take a look at what we do.

Walt Gosden

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I watched your show, enjoyed it greatly.  Finally, an automotive show about something of substance.  Its wonderful you're making an effort to bring the obscure designers and makes to the public's attention.   As many talented, skilled designers and engineers contributed to the development of the automobile, they should to have time in the spotlight.   They're an inspiration to those coming along now. 

58L-V8, Thank you, appreciate your interest in the show. John S.